CFI Lookup

Brandon White

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Is it possible to look up a CFI by their certificate number? I was interested in trying to find my first flight instructor from 12 years ago, but I can't remember his name and his signature is unreadable. The only information I have is his certificate number. It would be really cool to at least figure out his name.

Reactions: pgs
Can't help you with starting with the certificate number, but I tracked down my first instructor using his name last year. Sent some snail-mail and a few weeks later got an email back from him. Cool times we live in where this is possible.

Got any friends at the FAA?

Is it possible to look up a CFI by their certificate number? I was interested in trying to find my first flight instructor from 12 years ago, but I can't remember his name and his signature is unreadable. The only information I have is his certificate number. It would be really cool to at least figure out his name.
I had that problem. One way is someone you know with the FAA or the FBO or someone with access willing to look it up for you. I didn’t use that.

I found out mine in a weird way. For completely unrelated reasons, I decided to make a request for my own FAA records. The 8710s were included, there was my private pilot CFI's name clearly printed.

I found out mine in a weird way. For completely unrelated reasons, I decided to make a request for my own FAA records. The 8710s were included, there was my private pilot CFI's name clearly printed.

I was going to mention something similar. If the original application was done in IACRA (I'm not sure how long ago it started) you might be able to log in, view the application, and see the recommending instructor.

I was going to mention something similar. If the original application was done in IACRA (I'm not sure how long ago it started) you might be able to log in, view the application, and see the recommending instructor.

Didn't even think of that, yeah log onto IACRA and pull up your old 8710, of that doesn't work call the FSDO and ask for it.

Send me a PM with the CFI Certificate number, I can search my records to see if he's ever used us for renewal...

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a special bond with this guy... NOT.

I can remember the name of every of every CFI I've flown... certainly the one I fired because he sucked.

Sounds like you have a special bond with this guy... NOT.

I can remember the name of every of every CFI I've flown... certainly the one I fired because he sucked.
Well it was like 12 years ago and I only got half way through with him before he moved on. I remember his first name but that's certainly not enough to find someone.

I’d like to do the same thing! Would like to at least see where my first CFI is at. I went to a flight school in Daytona about 18 years ago. I have a number in my logbook, he was Finnish and hated American students ( I was his first American student) how many of those guys could be around!

I had a fed observe a checkride a couple of years ago...my first non-Dad CFI is his best friend.:eek:

, he was Finnish and hated American students ( I was his first American student) how many of those guys could be around!

Hopefully he went back to where he came from. No offense.

I'd like to find a CFI by his number as well. My first flying lesson was a birthday gift from my dad over 29 years ago, and I have no idea what the instructor's name was. I never flew with him again since I wasn't pursuing a pilot certificate at the time. But it would be fun to find him and see where he ended up.

Back