CFI Lesson Plan Recs

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
I've decided that I'm going to purchase commercially prepared lesson plans. There are a couple products out there. I just don't see the point of crushing myself trying to reinvent the wheel especially since I'm looking to join a Part 141 operation that will dictate my syllabus and lesson plans regardless of what I come up with.

I'm leaning towards https://cfilessonplans.flightinstructorguide.com since they provide these in editable format.

Anyone used these? Any other products worth looking into?

The point of writing lesson plans is not to have lesson plans, it's to learn how to write one and learn how to teach from one.

The point of writing lesson plans is not to have lesson plans, it's to learn how to write one and learn how to teach from one.
Yea I wrote my own because I knew I would learn and teach the material better. To each their own though. I’ve met a lot of CFIs that bought the pre made ones and it worked for them.

I used thebackseatpilot.com . They come in pdf and editable word files, plus free updates.

Back seat pilot seems like the way to go.

Yeah, I've heard that writing your own can help you learn the material but after looking at a couple sample products, these are more comprehensive and expertly prepared than what I think I could come up with. I feel like using those and learning the plans, giving mock lessons, etc. may be just as effective from a learning perspective...

Yeah, I've heard that writing your own can help you learn the material but after looking at a couple sample products, these are more comprehensive and expertly prepared than what I think I could come up with. I feel like using those and learning the plans, giving mock lessons, etc. may be just as effective from a learning perspective...

Those are my thoughts exactly. I know I will get "attacked" for this viewpoint, but why reinvent the wheel? If I am going to teach someone how to fly I want to teach them using the most efficient/refined methods. Sure, everyone has their own teaching style and there isn't necessarily a "best" way, but it provides a good base to work from.

That said, just because you purchase a set of lesson plans doesn't mean your going to print the things off, never look at them, and expect to teach off of them - let alone take a checkride with them. The point would be to go through each and every lesson plan and refine them or mold them to your liking. It gives you the opportunity to study them and not miss any important information.

Making your own is great too... :)

just because you purchase a set of lesson plans doesn't mean your going to print the things off, never look at them, and expect to teach off of them - let alone take a checkride with them.

Heck, my examiner didn't like the concept of the CFI Binder at all. He felt it was a crutch, so I did my initial CFI without it. He had me write and teach a lesson plan without it, which I did just fine.

Oh wait...you don’t have any!!!!

ValuableSafeHyena-size_restricted.gif

If I were an examiner and a CFI applicant showed up with commercial lesson plans he would be in for a very interresting oral.

Back