CFI Initial Writeup

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
As promised, here is a write up of the checkride. The oral lasted about 5 hours (with a lunch break) and we flew for 1.5 hours. The checkride was done straight from the CFI PTS. You will note that under each headline in the PTS - for example "Fundamentals of Instructing" there is direction to the examiner. "Note: the examiner must select Task E and one other task." Sometimes, the examiner allowed me to select the other tasks. I mused that this could be a double edged sword as I now had zero excuses for not knowing the material in the task I selected. For each task, instead of asking me questions and quizzing me on the material like I have seen in other checkrides, this was done from more of an instructional standpoint. I was asked about each task, then given some time to explain the elements in the task, their significance, why we do them and how it relates to instructing.

To begin, we verified the logbook entries and the ground training logs. I was all set there, and the examiner commented that the endorsements and ground training were complete and very clear.

The first area of operation is Fundamentals of Instructing. The PTS reads "select task E and one other task". Task E is instructor responsibilities and professionalism, and the other task I selected was task G - risk management.

Instructor responsibilities and professionalism:
I explained what professionalism is, how to act professionally, why it is important, and how it relates to the relationship between instructor and student. Responsibilities - I noted that instructors are responsible for giving endorsements, safety of their students, keeping students informed of progress, signoffs for checkrides, and the training to get there. DPE followed with some hypothetical questions about common issues you might have - like what to do with difficult students etc...

Risk Management
I explained the risk management matrix, how we identify and mitigate risks, ADM, IMSAFE, PAVE, 5P's. DPE asked a few questions about students and when you introduce risk management to them.

Technical Subject Areas. Select B, M, and one other task.

Runway Incursion Avoidance (task B)
Important to explain to students airport signs, markings, making proper radio calls, know how to read an airport diagram, maintaining situational awareness and not taxiing with head down, airport hot spots, night operations, using aircraft lights, reading back controller instructions, and asking for progressive taxi if unsure.

Logbook Entries and Certificates (task M)
I ran through the required logbook entries taking a student from first solo all the way through signoffs for the private pilot. I memorized the appropriate FAR number (61.87, 61.93 etc..) for the endorsements as well. I was asked about signoffs for a commercial pilot applicant. We discussed the TSA requirements and medical requirements for practical tests. He asked me to explain what is necessary for a BFR.

Visual Scanning and Avoidance
I described how to visually scan (break up the sky into zones), how to teach students about the traffic pattern and how to look where aircraft may be entering the pattern (on the 45, etc..).

Preflight Preparation. Examiner must select at least one task

Performance and Limitations
Started here with weight and balance. I described the concept of weight and balance, and why we use a datum (to factor in leverage for distance from the aircraft's center of gravity). Then went through the mooney weight and balance diagrams, explaining those. DPE stopped me short of calculating an entire weight and balance as he could probably tell I knew how to do it. Next I described the aircraft performance charts, worked through a sample problem. He asked me to explain the concept of density altitude and why it affected aircraft performance.

Preflight Procedures - Select one task
Preflight Inspection

I explained the goal of a pre-flight and what kinds of issues it could catch, and the consequences of overlooking various potential problems (water in fuel, low oil, an oil leak, etc...). Walked through a preflight inspection checklist from the Mooney POH explaining things as I went.

Takeoffs, Landings, Go-Arounds. Examiner must select at least two takeoffs and two landings
Short Field Takeoff and Landing
I grabbed one of the airplane models and talked my way through a short field takeoff and landing. I explained the goal of the short-field takeoff and landing.

Soft Field Takeoff and Landing
See above

Fundamentals of Flight. Examiner must select at least one task
Level Turns
I explained the concepts of using rudder to counteract adverse yaw, and what causes adverse yaw. I also explained how the vertical component of lift decreases in a turn so a higher angle of attack is needed to generate enough vertical lift to keep the plane from descending.

Ground Reference Maneuvers: Examiner must select task D and one other task

Eights on Pylons (Task D)

I explained why we do the ground reference maneuvers, the concept of pivotal altitude and how to calculate it. Then I talked through the maneuver.

Turns about a point

Explained the maneuver, the goal of a constant radius turn, and how the aircraft must be flown to maintain that radius with wind. I drew a point on the white board, wind direction, and then moved a model airplane around the point, demonstrating how the aircraft must crab to compensate for the wind.

Slow flight, Stalls and Spins: The examiner must select at least one proficiency stall (Task B or C), at least one demonstration stall (Task D, E, F, or H), and Task G.
For this section you will have to explain either power on or power off stalls (proficiency stalls), and one demonstration stall - I was given secondary stalls. Task G is spins, which is covered by your spin endorsement. We did delve briefly into spins and recovery techniques.

Basic Instrument Maneuvers - The examiner must select at least one task
Straight and level flight
I was given a choice on this one and I went for straight and level flight. I began with an explanation of the instrument scan, and how to interpret each instrument. This should be easy and I don't think we spent much time on it.

Emergency Procedures - The examiner must select at least tasks A and B

Engine failure - Simulated (Task A)
This is accomplished on the flight portion of the checkride.

Systems and Equipment Malfunctions (Task B)
I was asked to identify 5 possible systems failures and scenarios, and then explain them as if I was talking to a student. Loss of oil pressure, electrical system failure, engine fire, landing gear failure to extend.

Postflight - The examiner must select at least task A

Not much to this one. Task A is "Postflight". Just talk through normal post flight procedures. Why we tie aircraft down. Why we do a quick walkaround (check for leaks or any damage). Why do we use control locks. Etc...

Flight Portion

During the flight portion, I was asked to fly, talk through and demonstrate the maneuvers that were selected on the ground as part of the tasks. I'll try and remember them all. The flight portion generally consists of flying through the maneuvers and landings from the right seat, to commercial standards, while explaining everything. And you are also expected to know the ACS performance standards for any of the maneuvers/landings. I made a "cheat sheet" of the performance standards for the maneuvers and clipped it to a kneeboard so I had this information available.

We took off and headed for the practice area. I demonstrated/taught level turns. I demonstrated adverse yaw by using the ailerons with and without the rudder. We went through power off stalls, secondary stalls and then a simulated engine failure from about 2500ft. I ran through the memory checklist of what to do, find a field that looks reasonable, pitch for best glide, mixture, mags, switch tanks, 7700, 121.5 etc... The PTS says this maneuver must go no lower than 500agl so I aborted at that point.

Next up was 8's on pylons, followed by turns about a point. Then the landings and takeoffs. I don't have any good advice other than to make yourself a cheat sheet, keep talking as you fly the maneuvers, and be sure to demonstrate good situational awareness by keeping your head outside of the cockpit and looking for traffic.

There is a lot of material on this checkride, we did the bare minimum per the PTS and it still took us 5 hours in the classroom, and the flight was 1.5 hours on the Hobbs. We started around 8:45 AM and debriefed at 4PM. It was a long day with a good outcome.

Last edited:
See.... those darn eights on pylons ??? In my day there were also eights around pylons. Different maneuver. Hate that commercial stuff.

But, congrats!!!

See.... those darn eights on pylons ??? In my day there were also eights around pylons. Different maneuver. Hate that commercial stuff.

But, congrats!!!

You mean you guys flying the big iron don’t go out and proactively practice all of those maneuvers regularly?

Where’s my shocked face? :) :) :)

Congrats on the ride again... nice write up! Very similar to both of mine, but I didn’t get to choose topic areas, which is fine.

You mean you guys flying the big iron don’t go out and proactively practice all of those maneuvers regularly?

Where’s my shocked face? :) :) :)
Lol!!! Trust me, we have a whole new line up of crap to do!!

Lol!!! Trust me, we have a whole new line up of crap to do!!

I should add... be thankful for your simulators...

My neighbor flies a King Air. I didn’t quite catch what he said about it whether there’s few or no sims for his model, or his company just won’t pay to ship him off to one, but he gets to do six month recurrence for single-pilot ops with a Fed, in the airplane, every single time. LOL.

He’s used to it but it’s one part of his current gig he mention ain’t the funnest thing he’s ever had to do. He flew bizjets for years and likes this gig better overall for various other lifestyle reasons (regular route and schedule and a lot of days off) but he says a point of contact change at the FSDO to someone who doesn’t like him or regular King Air rides, always looms as one of many possible career disasters. Haha. :)

Back