CFI evaluation

Kal Ma

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kalm
Is there any website that rates CFIs in terms of experience, compatibility, knowledge, systematic training?

Is there any website that rates CFIs in terms of experience, compatibility, knowledge, systematic training?
As a centralized database? Not that I have heard of.

But whenever I am seeking, a request for info amongst the local aviation social media haunts often gathers some good details of who to seek out.

Did you have any particular pursuit in mind?

Since a lot of how instruction goes is a question of fit between instructor style and student, I think a combination of local inquiry and a willingness to switch is likely best.

One could even plan on taking lessons from 3 instructors to start with and then make up one’s mind who to continue with.

The turnover for CFIs is too high to support that. It'd be like having a site to rate the best and worst McDonald's cashiers.

The turnover for CFIs is too high to support that. It'd be like having a site to rate the best and worst McDonald's cashiers.

Unfortunately, this is true in all too many cases. But, there are "career" CFIs out there as well as instructors who enjoy teaching but do not rely on it for their full-time income. We could use more of them in the business.

Since a lot of how instruction goes is a question of fit between instructor style and student, I think a combination of local inquiry and a willingness to switch is likely best.

One could even plan on taking lessons from 3 instructors to start with and then make up one’s mind who to continue with.

I flew with 4 different instructors at 2 different airports to find someone I meshed with and could work with my schedule, 7am starts during the week.

Unfortunately, this is true in all too many cases. But, there are "career" CFIs out there as well as instructors who enjoy teaching but do not rely on it for their full-time income. We could use more of them in the business.
Maybe we need a “career CFI Finder”.

There is a DPE rating site, though only lightlyused. Perhaps something similar would be good for CFIs.

Back