CFI bailed before checkride what to do about IACRA?

Odd move. why would he jump ship on you at this point...??

The new instructor can give you new endorsements. You can fill out a new IACRA application and the new instructor can sign it.

All that said this will indeed be a bit of a set back for you because they're going to have to do some flying with you to do so.

DPE/FAA/etc doesn't care if you have two sets of endorsements. What matters is that you have everything you need when you go to take the checkride to present to the DPE.

Come on sky new guy, fess up.
What did you do, or not do, to make him bail?
It is unusual for a hungry CFI to turn down money.
Consider us your support group.
Just remember, it's the local chapter of Tough Love here.

Come on sky new guy, fess up.
What did you do, or not do, to make him bail?
It is unusual for a hungry CFI to turn down money.
Consider us your support group.

Pretty negative there Denny. It's unusual for a CFI to bail on someone but we have no indications of who instigated the split.

I would also be interested to know how this came about. Satisfy our curiosity.

Pretty negative there Denny. It's unusual for a CFI to bail on someone but we have no indications of who instigated the split.

Head on over to the Red board and there is a bit more of the story.

Flying is not a good hobby for you, bowling might be more your speed...

Head on over to the Red board and there is a bit more of the story.

I couldn't find it...gotta linky?

Nevermind...I didn't realize THAT thread was about this...

Last edited:
FAR 61.39 spells it out for you. Your new instructor needs to fly with you to ensure your competent enough for your check ride and you meet the private PTS.

Best of luck,
Darren

I still dont get why the DPE bailed on the deal when you had more than all the minimum required hours. Who gives a **** if the logbook numbers don't match the IACRA numbers so long as both of the numbers in each place meet the number of hours required. My last three checkrides have been been numbers pulled out of my *** that I put on the IACRA because I easily met all the requirements.

Is that the reason for your trip to STS yesterday? Your new DPE is in Santa Rosa? Make sure you know how to get there and back -- and allow time for it -- when NorCal tells you to remain clear of Class B. They do that on occasion. The marine layer can be a BIG problem for that even if it's totally clear around the Bay. NorCal might let you over Oakland, but the path is much more constrained and more complex (mid-span SM bridge, 29 numbers, Coliseum, follow 880, all below 1500 over the Bay and 2000 over land).

That's a bit far afield to go for a checkride when the FSDO boundary goes right down the Bay. You'll find different DPEs at Hayward.

Last edited:
It says right in the instructions that the "minimum required" time must be entered, but "recommends" all piloting time be entered...

I said it on the Red Board and I'll say it here. We're only hearing one side of the story. I find the story we are getting remarkable. Why would anyone pay someone $550 for not giving a checkride? Why would a CFI "bail" on a student who supposedly is ready for his checkride? Why would a student not use a local DPE against the advice of his CFI? Why is everyone else at fault? Why would a two hour math error in a log book make a DPE refuse to accept an on the spot correction and even start a checkride. Why can't a student read the PTS and realize for himself he didn't know how to do a soft field takeoff without an instructor telling him when he had already attempted to take the checkride? Someone is in denial.

My DPE for my last 3 checkrides only glanced through my logbook. The commercial he looked for the long XC and the night and that was the most in-depth he looked. I feel like there is more than ASEL Dual + ASEL solo = ASEL total being wrong. I know my ASEL dual + solo doesn't add up, and it wouldn't for you if you've ever flown something different like a gilder, multi etc.

Because the DPE locally is being paranoid that is why. Thanks to dear leader and the sequester cuts, FAA chopped away many DPE so there are few left in San Jose area.

DPEs are independent. Budget cuts wouldn't affect the number of DPEs. Sounds like someone has thrown you some 8lb test and you latched on.

$550 for a PPL checkride? Damn that's a lot! Must be those silicon valley prices. I used the DPE @ STS. Much cheaper than $550. :) Hope everything works out for you. If you want to try a CFI @ HWD lmk. Good luck!

How many webboards are you going to post this on? Have you considered there's a good chance the DPE you end up using will have read all of the drama you have posted? You really don't want to "stand-out" for that reason.

You are an unlucky guy for sure. A lot of things that go wrong, flight schools that don't agree with you, flying club owners that hold you back and now a CFI that prefers to have personal isssues than giving one more hour of instruction to you.

BUT, in a different FSDO.

Palo Alto is in San Jose. Hayward is in Oakland.

It can matter. The DPE list is different.

The fees of the DPE are not set by the FSDO, they are free to set them based on what the market will bear and are free to give a highschool kid a break. You can go to any DPE you want. I lived in MD, my recommending CFI was in MN and I went to a DPE in the SD FSDO district.

The fees of the DPE are not set by the FSDO, they are free to set them based on what the market will bear and are free to give a highschool kid a break. You can go to any DPE you want. I lived in MD, my recommending CFI was in MN and I went to a DPE in the SD FSDO district.

Of course. But the list of DPEs is different, and the market is somewhat different. Hayward is not Palo Alto.

Not in uncommon in many parts of California.

Or Florida for that matter. I think I paid 450 for my ATP ride back in December, might have been 550, I can't remember. Either way, even then, the DPE just glanced thru my logbook and didn't really do anything with it.

I know far more unlucky folks than me who had bad experiences as student pilots.

Just my $.02 - but given the number of folks you've had some trouble with, at least consider the possibility that you're doing or not doing something that is contributing to the issue. Good luck with your continued training!

Because the DPE locally is being paranoid that is why. Thanks to dear leader and the sequester cuts, FAA chopped away many DPE so there are few left in San Jose area.

@MAKG give me a call. I'd like your guidance and will treat you to lunch for it. Don't want to really go into too many more details here.

Who is the DPE? I had problems with a guy down there too that San Jose FSDO wanted to give me so I got permission to go to Sac, they take awhile to respond but are nice there.

I know far more unlucky folks than me who had bad experiences as student pilots.

I don't mean any offense by this Ben, but I don't know anyone who had worse luck than you in this regard. There is a real problem here that needs to be solved. And I'm sure it can be if too many bridges haven't been burned. That last part has me really worried about you. I don't know your instructor, but I do know the club owners; they have offered me some valuable advice including things like how to deal with a flooded engine (while 200 miles away), quirks of some of the aircraft models, an impromptu tour underneath a Cessna cowling, and so on. I've heard of them getting snarky on occasion, but never really mad.

I don't mean any offense by this Ben, but I don't know anyone who had worse luck than you in this regard. There is a real problem here that needs to be solved. And I'm sure it can be if too many bridges haven't been burned. That last part has me really worried about you. I don't know your instructor, but I do know the club owners; they have offered me some valuable advice including things like how to deal with a flooded engine (while 200 miles away), quirks of some of the aircraft models, an impromptu tour underneath a Cessna cowling, and so on. I've heard of them getting snarky on occasion, but never really mad.

I thought snarkiness was illegal in California?

-Rich

Permission from who?

From the San Jose FSDO to go outside there jurisdiction for a checkride. No one can give me a straight answer on this as being required or not but the supervisor of the Sac FSDO deemed it necessary.

From the San Jose FSDO to go outside there jurisdiction for a checkride. No one can give me a straight answer on this as being required or not but the supervisor of the Sac FSDO deemed it necessary.

Nonsense you can take a checkride wherever you please. Stop asking b'crat rats for permission you don't need.

You do not need permission and can go to the examiner of your choice, except an initial CFI.

Back