CFI’s and annual recurrent TSA training

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I just completed my biennial CFI online refresher clinic. There were a couple blocks on TSA-related topics. One such emphasized that all active instructors need to take an initial Security Awareness Training Program, and then take recurrent refreshers annually in the same month they took their initial training.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1552.23

I just did my FIRC with American Flyers and they provide the TSA course in addition to the FIRC - free for life after the initial purchase in my case. There are other free courses available online.

I assume any instructor certified after the unpleasantness of 9/11 is aware of this. I do wonder if a few graybeards like myself might have missed the requirement. And apparently the TSA could theoretically impose civil fines for non-compliance.

Anyway, just a heads up!

This came up in a discussion recently, and it seems at least some people have overlooked it. I use Gleim and they make it pretty clear you have to come back annually for the training.

I do mine through work, so I get reminded annually.

But it does seem like a biennial requirement tied to the two-year renewal cycle would be smarter.

I can't overlook it, the TSA harasses me every year. So I watch the same AOPA powerpoint and take the same 10-question quiz every year. Colossal waste of time for all parties involved.

I can't overlook it, the TSA harasses me every year. So I watch the same AOPA powerpoint and take the same 10-question quiz every year. Colossal waste of time for all parties involved.
Agreed. It's not fun when a TSA inspector sits down and starts off with a threat of an $11,000 fine. I told him - yeah, I do it, but how on earth would I know if a student gave me fake docs? It's not like it's anything more than a burden AND excessive liability.

My CFI ride is happening soon....

§1552.23 training something I need to add to my post ride to-do list?

Yup.
I did one from King The first time which was free, and didn’t take much time.

The other day I did one with American Flyers... They must’ve had fun making those little videos! “Ok, skulk around in this hoody and look suspicious!”

mike, when’s your ride?

The link in the OP references flight schools, And that they must provide the training to their employees. Where does it say it’s required for everyone that has a CFI certificate?

The link in the OP references flight schools, And that they must provide the training to their employees. Where does it say it’s required for everyone that has a CFI certificate?
Go back one page.

“Flight school employee means a flight instructor or ground instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 61, 141, or 142; a chief instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 141; a director of training certificated under 14 CFR part 142; or any other person employed by a flight school, including an independent contractor, who has direct contact with a flight school student. This includes an independent or solo flight instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 61.”

Go back one page.

“Flight school employee means a flight instructor or ground instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 61, 141, or 142; a chief instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 141; a director of training certificated under 14 CFR part 142; or any other person employed by a flight school, including an independent contractor, who has direct contact with a flight school student. This includes an independent or solo flight instructor certificated under 14 CFR part 61.”

That seems like the most awkward possible way to write a regulation to say what they actually want.

I do the recurrent training because I must. That being said it's a phenomenal PITA waste of time. At least it's free. (I have American Flyers FIRC for life.)

Back