Cessna's and Stabilized Approach

somorris

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
somorris
Yesterday afternoon I was coming back to the airport from a short cross country and meeting at another airport. About half way back (I was on flight following with Center, then Approach), I heard Center telling another aircraft approaching the Bravo airport that the airport had just turned around and the approach expected would be different than initially given. The wind had shifted from out of the northeast to the southwest. I checked the ASOS at my airport before I got there, and sure enough wind was 190 degrees at 4 knots. I was approaching from the northwest and announced I would overfly the airport for a left downwind to RWY 18. As I turned upwind for 18 to check traffic, there was a helicopter practicing autorotations and using RWY 36. Since our airport is using a temporary runway and I didn't want to interfere with the traffic flow, I made the decision to convert my upwind to 18 to a downwind to 36 and go ahead and land on 36 with the slight tailwind. I was near the threshold at 1200' AGL. I reduced power, put in 10 degrees of flaps and turned based at about 1100' AGL. I put in the remaining 30 degrees of flaps and started slipping as I turned short final. I landed within the first 2,000' of the runway. High-wing Cessnas may not be the most glamorous airplane, but they sure do give the pilot a lot of options! By the way, the approach was stabilized but it sure was steep!

High-wing Cessnas may not be the most glamorous airplane, but they sure do give the pilot a lot of options! By the way, the approach was stabilized but it sure was steep!

Were you inspired by the autorotating chopper? :) Last time I flew a 172 it took a bit of readjusting to an airplane that just didn't seem to want come down, even at 60KT power off, full flaps, and the rudder on the floor. It's all relative. A Cherokee seems very steep if you're accustomed to Cessnas. BTW, this is what your max steep approach would have looked like in the Pitts - :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AaBCIZRspA

I was 1000' AGL, and no more than 1200' horizontally from the threshold when I turned "final". 40 degree descent angle, and there are a handful of airplanes that can come down even steeper. I agree, the ability to come in steep does give you options when you need to stuff it into a field in an emergency.

And the FAA probably wouldn't consider yours or my approach "stabilized" by their definition, but who cares - I do my best to purge that term from my lexicon. I hope this doesn't turn into the dreaded "stabilized approach" discussion. ;)

Last edited:
In the older cessnas slipping the aircraft is not recommended with 40 degrees of flaps,however works real good with 30. Had a 63 172 and added flap gap seals what a great short field bird.

In the older cessnas slipping the aircraft is not recommended with 40 degrees of flaps..

All you get is a mild vibration. Presumably, that's why the recommendation is not in the limitations section of the manual.

Damn you Somorris - more dreaded "stabilized approach" and "slipping with flaps" talk all in one thread. :D ha ha.

I think a Pitts approach is about as stabilized as it gets. Power to idle abeam the numbers and a constant bank to touch down. No power adjustments, no configurations changes, constant speed, no turns (only the constant bank 180). Oh yea.

I think a Pitts approach is about as stabilized as it gets. Power to idle abeam the numbers and a constant bank to touch down. No power adjustments, no configurations changes, constant speed, no turns (only the constant bank 180). Oh yea.

Absolutely! Now convince the FAA. :D

At my home airport, landing 2000 feet down the runway is way too late! :eek:

Unless you fly one of those STOL Huskies.

But then you could just land on the bay shore.

I tried a 5 knot downwind landing at Petalmua in a 172RG, to avoid a bigger risk of multiple takeoffs in the opposite direction. It makes a lot more difference than one might think. Too high on final and I had a kid with a full bladder in the right seat. Now, THAT limits your options. Opted to go around rather than slip hard or land hot or long.

BTW, this is what your max steep approach would have looked like in the Pitts - :)

Wow. And I thought I could make a steep approach :).

Damn you Somorris - more dreaded "stabilized approach" and "slipping with flaps" talk all in one thread. :D ha ha.

Some people just embarrass a good airplane :).

Absolutely! Now convince the FAA. :D

Some people enjoy eating pablum :).

Back