Cessna wing landing light

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Cessna wing landing light under the plastic on each side of the lights the fwd ribs have two holes about 3" round. Thease holes came with canvas glued over them to block airflow should the plastic cover break. If you do not have the holes covered up canvas glued over them tape or something and the plastic should break birdstrike rock or whatever airflow will pass through the holes through the wing and exit around the Aileron causing loss of that aileron control.

Why would air flowing through the wing cause a loss of control? Makes no sense.

Cessna wing landing light under the plastic on each side of the lights the fwd ribs have two holes about 3" round. Thease holes came with canvas glued over them to block airflow should the plastic cover break. If you do not have the holes covered up canvas glued over them tape or something and the plastic should break birdstrike rock or whatever airflow will pass through the holes through the wing and exit around the Aileron

I'd agree up to there.

causing loss of that aileron control.

the rest, not so much. because the aileron on all cessna 120 thru 185 are hinged at the top forward edge, all the air will do is flow past the front of the aileron with out enough force to do any thing.

Yeah, might strike the inside of the aileron and cause an out of trim condition, but loss of control?

If the airflow is going through the wing instead of over the top of the wing and the aileron is behind it the airflow over the top of the wing will be disrupted. The aileron like the top of the wing in that area will have some loss of control probably not total but some loss of contorl.

Last edited:
Given the bird strike damage that Cessna wings have already withstood, I choose to dismiss the OP's conjecture with prejudice.

Last edited:
Given the bird strike damage that Cessna wings have already withstood, I choose to dismiss the OP's conjecture with prejudice.

Given the the 210 that lost a good portion of its wing and flew on to the destination I agree.

Infact I would be willing if not for the legal issues to pull the lens off the 172R at work that does not have anything blocking the holes and go fly.

Infact I would be willing if not for the legal issues to pull the lens off the 172R at work that does not have anything blocking the holes and go fly.

Bigger hassle would be the disrupted airflow behind the missing lens, causing some shudder and maybe wing-heaviness. And drag might cause some yaw.

Dan

Back