Cessna "vs." Reims

Nico_490

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nico_490
Hello Folks,

i've a question:
Since in Europe there are a lot of the Cessnas around, wich where build in France at the Reims factory: Could you say, there are some differences in build quality? It seems they are somewhat cheaper over here then the US-made planes.

Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Cheers!

Could you say, there are some differences in build quality?.
No. Since they were built under license there are the same or similar oversight systems in place. And given that similarity when Reims went bankrupt most of those F model type certificates were transferred back to Cessna under the original FAA TC as equivelant models. However, there can be certain exceptions as listed in the TCDS. Regardless you'll find the build quality equal or in some cases better as Reims did some in house upgrades that made a better product like the Rocket 172.

Hello Folks,

i've a question:
Since in Europe there are a lot of the Cessnas around, wich where build in France at the Reims factory: Could you say, there are some differences in build quality? It seems they are somewhat cheaper over here then the US-made planes.

Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Cheers!
I think the Reims used Zinc Chromate so we’re more corrosion resistant.

I think the Reims used Zinc Chromate so we’re more corrosion resistant.
While Cessna offered "corrosion proofing" as an option Reims made it a standard production perk due to the operating areas in the UK and Europe. However not all models got the treatment or in the same way. Years ago we had looked at importing some Reims parts/upgrades and learned of these small differences.

While Cessna offered "corrosion proofing" as an option Reims made it a standard production perk due to the operating areas in the UK and Europe. However not all models got the treatment or in the same way. Years ago we had looked at importing some Reims parts/upgrades and learned of these small differences.
I found out about it when I bought a plane. It had damage history and some different parts on it. One of the wings was green and one of the main landing gear was green.

I found out about it when I bought a plane
Supposedly there is a way to determine if primer is Cessna, Reims, or 3rd party applied. Cessna applies primer before production leaving rivets unpainted, Reims built sub-assemblies then primed leaving a mixture of painted rivets a long certain lines, and 3rd party everything was primed. But the Reims aircraft we were looking at had several that were not primed with zinc. So its a 100% thing to follow.

I found out about it when I bought a plane. It had damage history and some different parts on it. One of the wings was green and one of the main landing gear was green.

That sounds more like a repair after an off-runway excursion. Our '77Q has the outer wing on one side replaced with chromated parts, following a repair done when it was a couple years old.

That sounds more like a repair after an off-runway excursion. Our '77Q has the outer wing on one side replaced with chromated parts, following a repair done when it was a couple years old.
Heavy snow. It collapsed a hangar roof. It was a 78 C-177B

The Q's didn't come with zinc chromate from the factory? My 81 R was

Some did, some did not. If you had the "seaplane" option, it had the chromate.

I think they did it to save weight, as the Q gained a few pounds over the P model.
Yea, I think I remember reading that. All of the R’s came with it. 1777lb empty weight

Thanks for all the replies. The know-how of this board is amazing! I thought that it would be like e.g. Fender America vs. Fender Mexico.

Now i'm lusting for a Reims Rocket. :)

Back