Cessna VS Piper

Hopefully the part 23 re-write alleviates some of these tiresome arguments regarding maintenance costs on these crotchety crafts/hieroglyphic paper trails for every little de facto automotive rusted bolt.

What ever gets done in the re-write I doubt it will make either make easier to get under the panel and take stuff apart, or replace stuff.

I've had 2 bo owners approach me this year to do there annuals because they no longer can afford to own their beeches. both stated their annuals cost over 10k

They have pieces of ****.. or a king air.

And don't you mean "13 month maintenance periods"

The actual annual inspection on a Bo is MUCH less labor intensive than a C172 or PA28.

Tell me which Cessna or Piper has a mechanical gear box to clean and lube.

172 is what we were talking about, so show me the hydraulic pumps and hoses/

Show me the gear box on a Sundowner. Compare apples to apples.

Show me a Piper or Cessna " sundowner " or did you for forget this thread was about P vs C

Where did your comment about the mechanical gear box to grease come from then? Or did you forget?

Not sure, was too busy removing inspection panels on the C172 to notice.

Which mechanical gear box are you cleaning and lubing? The one on the C175?

There's a big green thing between the seats in my Bo. You remove a screw and look at where the oil is on the threads… then put the screw back.

Do you really want to compare the hot hydraulic fluid shower retract mechanism on a Cessna to the one a Bonanza?

as a recipient of said hot hydraulic shower I can safely say that the Bo gear system wins.

Not if you do it right and inspect all the cables as required. the ones under the cockpit floor are included.

It says to inspect the two turnbuckles, cable terminals and adjacent portion of the flight control cable. If you want to believe that means the entire cable so be it but it doesn't.

It says to inspect the two turnbuckles, cable terminals and adjacent portion of the flight control cable. If you want to believe that means the entire cable so be it but it doesn't.

From the AD:
(e) Unsafe Condition

This AD was prompted by reports of control cable assembly failures that may lead to failure of the horizontal stabilator control system and could result in loss of pitch control. This AD requires inspections of the stabilator control system and replacement of parts as necessary. We are issuing this AD to correct the unsafe condition on these products.

(f) Compliance

Comply with this AD within the compliance times specified, unless already done.

(g) Inspection

(1) Initially inspect the stabilator control system following instructions 1 through 10 of Piper Aircraft, Inc. Mandatory Service Bulletin No. 1245A, dated November 28, 2012, as follows:

http://www.barteltaviation.com/pdf/Piper SB 1245A.PDF

The purpose and Para 6 should be of interest.

Last edited:

(1) Initially inspect the stabilator control system following instructions 1 through 10 of Piper Aircraft, Inc. Mandatory Service Bulletin No. 1245A, dated November 28, 2012, as follows:

http://www.barteltaviation.com/pdf/Piper SB 1245A.PDF

The purpose and Para 6 should be of interest.

It states that existing service publications for continued airworthiness do not instruct you to specifically disassemble and inspect with a 10x magnifying glass the two stabilator control cable turnbuckles so this AD and SB 1245A tell you to do that. It doesn't tell you to pull the floor boards up.

I can understand what you are pointing at, specifically this quote from the PURPOSE section:

This Service Bulletin provides specific instructions for the recurring inspection of the stabilator flight control system.

NOTE: Refer to the applicable Piper Maintenance Manual, as well as Piper
Service Letters SL 1069 and SL 1135 for additional flight control cable
maintenance requirements.

Yes, SL 1135 does refer to examination of the entire surface of ALL control cables but the PURPOSE of this AD and SB 1245A are to provide specific instructions for the recurring inspection of the stabilator control system. The NOTE refers to additional flight control cable maintenance requirements that are not a part of this AD. Just because a specific document is referenced doesn't mean that you then have to fully comply additionally with everything in that document as well as the document you are currently complying with. Not to mention any further documents that may be referenced in the referenced document.

I mean, talk about a can of worms... Sometimes you just have to use common sense here, it's really pretty straight forward - take those two turnbuckles apart, clean and inspect them as well as the cable terminal ends and put them back together. That's it, end of task.

See what you did Tom? Now the forum is full of _________ vs ___________ threads.

it's really pretty straight forward - take those two turnbuckles apart, clean and inspect them as well as the cable terminal ends and put them back together. That's it, end of task.

Just replace them. What are they? $15/each?

It states that existing service publications for continued airworthiness do not instruct you to specifically disassemble and inspect with a 10x magnifying glass the two stabilator control cable turnbuckles so this AD and SB 1245A tell you to do that. It doesn't tell you to pull the floor boards up.

I can understand what you are pointing at, specifically this quote from the PURPOSE section:

Yes, SL 1135 does refer to examination of the entire surface of ALL control cables but the PURPOSE of this AD and SB 1245A are to provide specific instructions for the recurring inspection of the stabilator control system. The NOTE refers to additional flight control cable maintenance requirements that are not a part of this AD. Just because a specific document is referenced doesn't mean that you then have to fully comply additionally with everything in that document as well as the document you are currently complying with. Not to mention any further documents that may be referenced in the referenced document.

I mean, talk about a can of worms... Sometimes you just have to use common sense here, it's really pretty straight forward - take those two turnbuckles apart, clean and inspect them as well as the cable terminal ends and put them back together. That's it, end of task.

WHat don't you understand about this statement in the AD?

This AD requires inspections of the stabilator control system and replacement of parts as necessary. We are issuing this AD to correct the unsafe condition on these products.

You know they're talking about the turnbuckles right?

Or don't you?

I knew this thread would get long and would not be surprised if it continues for a while. That's just the way it is as folks tend to be loyal to what they own and want to justify their purchase decision. Does your plane put a smile in your face? If the answer is yes then nothing else matters!! Whether it's a Piper or a Cessna, Mooney or a Bo, they all have their merits (and faults) and you just need to find the one that best suits YOU and how you fly, then go enjoy the crap out of your plane and don't worry about this silly 'my plane is better than you plane' stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ford (truck) driver that fly's a Socata. I'll see just how good the therapy is that the airport's insurance program covers in the morning...

I knew this thread would get long and would not be surprised if it continues for a while. That's just the way it is as folks tend to be loyal to what they own and want to justify their purchase decision. Does your plane put a smile in your face? If the answer is yes then nothing else matters!! Whether it's a Piper or a Cessna, Mooney or a Bo, they all have their merits (and faults) and you just need to find the one that best suits YOU and how you fly, then go enjoy the crap out of your plane and don't worry about this silly 'my plane is better than you plane' stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly!

Back