Cessna to halt Turbo T182T production?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
The ad from Van Bortel on the back of the March 8th Controller says that this is the "very last year" of production for the T182T. Is this a marketing play on words, better phrased as "most current year", or is Cessna actually halting production on the Turbo 182T after 2013? If they are halting production, do you know what they are making to full that spot in the lineup? Is it the new Turbo Diesel?

amu7e6em.jpg

If they are halting production, do you know what they are making to full that spot in the lineup? Is it the new Turbo Diesel?

That is the idea. I dont think it is a good idea.

If someone were looking at a new T182T it would be an interesting time. If the diesel is a hit, then the Avgas versions are going to depreciate rapidly. If it's a bust then they might sell for as much or more than new.

I imagine that Cessna will have learned from Diamond and make sure it's right out of the box.

One things for sure if you bought the JT-A version you'd better be standing there every time they fuel it.

If someone were looking at a new T182T it would be an interesting time. If the diesel is a hit, then the Avgas versions are going to depreciate rapidly. If it's a bust then they might sell for as much or more than new.

I imagine that Cessna will have learned from Diamond and make sure it's right out of the box.

One things for sure if you bought the JT-A version you'd better be standing there every time they fuel it.

Remember that Cessna themselves put Thielert engines in the 172 for a short period. So they hopefully learned from their own mistakes. But my understanding is the diesel is based off the SMA engine, which had issues but overall I like the architecture of.

My policy is not to be the first on the block with things like this, so I'll be happy to let others absorb some of the growing pains. I will also be happy if, when these new engines on the 310 wear out, a diesel variant is available.

I you don't like a splash of 100LL on you hand stinking up your cabin, wait till you get Jet A on your clothes or the carpet.

Last edited:
I you don't like a splash of 100LL on you hand stinking up your cabin, wait till you get Jet A on your clothes or the carpet.

Yeah, but it'd be cool to be able to say "I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning" as you open the hangar doors on your 182.... :lol:

My policy is not to be the first on the block with things like this, so I'll be happy to let others absorb some of the growing pains. I will also be happy if, when these new engines on the 310 wear out, a diesel variant is available.

Fingers crossed...

IMO as soon as we see a reliable 300 HP turbo diesel, the writings on the wall for Avgas and its replacements. Having just paid $7.45 yesterday for Avgas in Ft. Worth I was looking longingly at the Jet-A for $5.

Yeah, but it'd be cool to be able to say "I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning" as you open the hangar doors on your 182.... :lol:

Its disgusting really. Get it on the upholstry and the ship will stink for months.

Fingers crossed...

IMO as soon as we see a reliable 300 HP turbo diesel, the writings on the wall for Avgas and its replacements. Having just paid $7.45 yesterday for Avgas in Ft. Worth I was looking longingly at the Jet-A for $5.

I'm with you fully on that. I hate the smell of Jet A in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I also know that one of the biggest barriers to GA in the rest of the world is lack of 100LL availability, and that the only way we'll see a modern piston aviation engine is if it's a diesel. So I'll be happy to see a turbo diesel aircraft engine start to make its ways across the ranks. I figure 10-20 years once it starts for 100LL to be all but eliminated.

Back