Cessna to Archer transition

Friction lock for the levers. Mine has push-pull, and I prefer them.

I THINK the silver knob just left of the throttle is carb heat. But it's been a LONG time since I was in a throttle-quadrant Piper.

Nope. The silver knob is the primer.

Carb heat is a black lever to the right of the quadrant, and is quite difficult to see in that photo.

Cessna to Archer? Well the first thing you gotta unnerstan is the wing is in the wrong place. On the plus side you won't be getting any of them dang "Cessna Diamond" tattoos on yer forehead anymore. Next thing is ya gotta learn how to get in the thing, Not like yer using ropes and pitons like ya need on a Cessna. Jest be careful where you step. Like on yer copilot. Mine gets might het up when I step on her getting in and out of the plane. then........

Yeah, but reaching down for that trim wheel can be interpreted as "fresh."

They make for good jokes with the passengers about pulling up the parking brake to land.

So... the archer was real nice. Too bad I didn't get to fly it :(
The engine was oozing oil, so I went up in a 172 instead. Fortunately, we made up for it by getting my first true soft short field landings in a plane I'm comfortable in. And dang is that different than trying to put it down soft and short on pavement!

So... the archer was real nice. Too bad I didn't get to fly it :(
The engine was oozing oil, so I went up in a 172 instead. Fortunately, we made up for it by getting my first true soft short field landings in a plane I'm comfortable in. And dang is that different than trying to put it down soft and short on pavement!

I remember the first grass field landing in a Cherokee back in the day. The racket was startling and scared the bejesus out of me. :D

Cheers

My Archer transition was from a Cessna 152 at BJC (6000' elevation) to an Archer at 1W2 (Rest in Peace about 50' ). The performance difference was staggering. The amusing part came shortly into the flight when the instructor doing the checklist asked if I intended to reduce power at any time. Having spent my entire flight career up until that point in Colorado, that was sort of a foreign concept where the black knob was firewalled from takeoff until abeam the numbers on landing.

Back