Cessna T210N - 1979

PedroB801

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PedroB801
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 1979 Cessna T210N. While I plan to rely on a pre buy, I wanted to get any opinion on the aircraft. Specially the gear.

Thanks for any PIREPs

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 1979 Cessna T210N. While I plan to rely on a pre buy, I wanted to get any opinion on the aircraft. Specially the gear.

Thanks for any PIREPs

Have the gear saddles inspected very well, there are some potential issues with saddles and parts availability that people are reporting problems with on them.

Hello,

Thanks for any PIREPs

This aircraft will not tolerate any hydraulic leaks, the hydraulic package is just forward of the gear handle, and it seem like the aircraft was built around it.

They are great aircraft good speed with plenty power to get over 3/4 of the weather. and a very stable IFR platform.

210s are great aircraft, personally I'd get a NA IO550ed one.

Be sure you get a prebuy from someone who has experience on 210s, order the FAA CD, do a NTSB search, blah blah blah.

Good luck and post some pictures :yes:

10 years ago I would've said to join the Cessna Pilots Assn and read up. They're an excellent resource, at least the were. Anymore though, not so much. It's still likely well worth the $45 membership.

If the plane is anywhere near Dallas, John Effinger is your man for a prebuy. If anywhere near western Kentucky or Tennessee, then Paul New.

CPA will have other good suggestions for other parts of the country.

I owned T-210M for 15 years a while back. Great traveling airplane but required lots of maintenance. Most of the ones you find for sale have lots of deferred maintenance. A good prebuy can reveal all but usually only some of the problems. Careful study of the logbooks can be a good preliminary guide. Good Luck!

I just purchased this very airplane (1979 T210N, non-FIKI w/ intercooler) about four months ago. I have a Sandel 3308 HSI, S-TEC 55, GNS 430W, MX-20, and GTX 330 in the panel. It's worth noting that this was my first owned airplane, so I learned a few things during the process that prior owners would probably take for granted.

Let me start by saying that it is a fabulous airplane, and after owning it for a few months, I feel completely validated in choosing it for trips around California and beyond. I recently traveled from California to Oklahoma, and found it to be a very comfortable and satisfying IFR platform. I was more familiar with and looking at the T182, but chose the T210 for the little bit of extra speed. I would do it again in a second.

Some things to look out for:

- I haven't had any problems with the gear. Look for hydraulic leaks on preflight. Check the reservoir more often than Cessna suggests. There's a standpipe in the reservoir that leaves you with a reserve to manually pump the gear down in the event that your power pack drains the reservoir, but it won't protect you against all leaks. I am planning to replace all the hoses next annual, as they haven't been done in quite some time.

- As far as I know, the 1979 model is not very prone to gear saddle issues - this is mostly those models produced in the 1960s. However, the later models do have a service bulletin for pivot cracks, which you may wish to consider.

- If your airplane still has a plastic nose gear spring guide, get it replaced with the steel part before your nose gear collapses.

- There is an AD to test for exhaust system leaks which has to be completed every 50 hours. If you have a Knisley exhaust, that interval increases to 100 hours.

- The hydrostatic test on the oxygen bottles is often missed. You probably have four small oxygen bottles in the ceiling of the airplane, and it's several hours of labor to get them in and out. If you have steel bottles, they have a 5 year inspection and no lifetime limit unless they fail. If you have kevlar, they do have a lifetime limit, and may need replacement soon.

- If you have the original Cessna fuel caps, get rid of them before they kill you.

- If your airplane is higher time (5000 TT IIRC), there's a wing spar AD which requires a recurring eddy current inspection.

- Mentioned in the buyer's guide, but if your airplane is advertised as FIKI, make sure it has dual vac pumps, pitot heat, stall warning heat, wing boots, tail boots, hot prop, and hot plate on the windshield. All of these are required for it to legally retain the FIKI certification, and very expensive to replace.

- Insurance will cost you big bucks if you don't have much time in type.

Things I did that were worth every dollar:

- Join the CPA, purchase John Frank's buyer's guide, read it from cover to cover, and then have your A&P use it for the pre-buy.

- The CPA is the best $45 I spent during the whole process. In addition to being a great place to ask questions, there is over a decade of posts in their forum from Cessna 210 owners. Reading through old posts is a great way for you to discover just about every problem that anyone has ever had with a Cessna 210, how they fixed it, and what their woes were with parts availability.

- For your pre-buy, make sure that you use an A&P that's familiar with the Cessna 210. It has a lot of quirks and a lot changes between model years.

- My plane had a current annual, but for the pre-buy, I had a complete annual done by a new A&P. This turned up about $2k worth of small discrepancies and a few stale inspections (including mags and oxygen bottles). More importantly, it turned up that the airplane needed to comply with the calendar limit of the Superior cylinder AD. Though widely regarded as bogus, this would have cost me $10k if it had been missed.

Things I would do differently if I were doing it again:

- Be absolutely meticulous about going through the logbooks, 337s, etc. Educate yourself enough to take an active role in doing that. My A&P did a logbook review, but he did miss a couple of things that were incorrectly signed off by prior A&Ps.

- Thoroughly flight test all of the avionics - there were some autopilot eccentricities that cost me a bit to fix. They would have been easily detected.

- Familiarize yourself with book performance and verify it in flight. I have a number of drag devices on my airplane that detract a few knots, and I would have liked to know that in advance. This can also help indicate if the airplane is out of rig.

Good luck, you will love it!

The wing spar AD was a one time visual inspection.

Great write-up Clark. I gotta say, not to knock these older spam cans, but I get why exAB continues to gain popularity. I've owned 3 airplanes so far and reading your meticulous anecdote and all the potential costs and recurring inspection schedules involved in purchasing and maintaining these museum jobs, it just gives me a headache. The California house priced new airplane alternative is equally discouraging.

Recurring ADs just cure me from wanting to own spam cans anymore. Part 23 re-write can't get here fast enough.

Great write-up Clark. I gotta say, not to knock these older spam cans, but I get why exAB continues to gain popularity. I've owned 3 airplanes so far and reading your meticulous anecdote and all the potential costs and recurring inspection schedules involved in purchasing and maintaining these museum jobs, it just gives me a headache. The California house priced new airplane alternative is equally discouraging.

Recurring ADs just cure me from wanting to own spam cans anymore. Part 23 re-write can't get here fast enough.

Can't disagree with anything there, but personally I think I'll ride it out for now. :) If nothing else, I've learned a lot for next time that will be incredibly useful whether I go certified or experimental.

My apologies, you are correct about that. It's not that AD but Cessna's SEL-57-01 that mentions the recurring inspection.

One of my favorite airplanes. The gear doesn't concern me much. Like all old GA stuff, corrosion and bad wiring are my primary concerns.

Being a 1979 model, the gear saddle AD doesn't apply. :rolleyes:

There's something going on there with the later model ones as well, may not be the saddle, but there is something that has a guy I know's N model down waiting on some part there where the pivot is, and it's been down a while. I'm not involved with it, but I know there are other complaints with it, and the 182RG gear that are becoming problematic at least for some people. Just passing on what I see.

Like I said, there is a service bulletin for pivot crack inspections on the later model year 210s along with the 172RG and 182RG. My A&P called it out during my pre-buy, but did not seem to be very concerned. When I researched it, I couldn't find an example of someone who had a crack found on a 210, so Henning's is the first for me. It seems to have been a more prevalent issue on the 172RG (think commercial training airplanes with more wear and tear).

I went to the CPA owners workshop on 182s when I owned one. The workshop was very worthwhile. I highly recommend attending one for the 210.

Back