Cessna steps and handles. Removal?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
If one had a Cessna which came from the factory with the steps and handles installed on the fuse and strut(for access to the top of the wing), could one remove them, fill the holes properly and have an airworthy plane?

If one had a Cessna which came from the factory with the steps and handles installed on the fuse and strut(for access to the top of the wing), could one remove them, fill the holes properly and have an airworthy plane?

Yes they can be removed, they are a bolt on accessory.

Why would I want them left on?

To provide easy access to the fuel filler and to clean the windscreen would be the obvious answer for the overwhelming majority of high wing Cessna operators. If you don't want them? Take them off. Who cares?

You'll probably see footprints of where the parts used to be. Most owners would rather leave the parts in place than see the imprinted reminder in the skins.

Last edited:
Apparently Mason does. He asked the proverbial philosophy question.

Would be fun to hear how many knots one can pick up from this mod...

To provide easy access to the fuel filler and to clean the windscreen would be the obvious answer for the overwhelming majority of high wing Cessna operators. If you don't want them? Take them off. Who cares?

You'll probably see footprints of where the parts used to be. Most owners would rather leave the parts in place than see the imprinted reminder in the skins.

That.

Would be fun to hear how many knots one can pick up from this mod...

Lol, .3kt gain probably, guessing the OP wants to remove them for looks

One thing to note, there is a reason why most cessnas have them, if you take them off, especially if they are painted, I would keep them and not patch the holes in a manner that will not allow them to be reinstalled, if you ever sell the plane having them is worth something as they are desirable on a high wing.

In my hangar I use my step ladder but I use the steps and handles when on the ramp. They are very handy and I can't imagine there would be any measurable impact on performance.

Wow, lot of assumptions going on in this thread.

For those who have, and love your steps and handles - good for you, here's your award for the day.

:cheerswine:

Don't do it! CG will change massively!

This one guy, in band camp, took them off and couldn't recover from a stall.

Well, you did ask why you would want them left on. :dunno:

In response to a poster asking my why I would take them off. He hasn't replied, so feel free to speculate, and have a glass of whine along with it. :lol:

Unless you carry a step ladder with you all of the time, I'd think it would be a pain to visually verify the fuel in the tanks, as well as pouring the fuel back into the filler after sumping it all. That's just my .02, though.

Unless you carry a step ladder with you all of the time, I'd think it would be a pain to visually verify the fuel in the tanks, as well as pouring the fuel back into the filler after sumping it all. That's just my .02, though.

Hmm, I wonder how those 182 drivers deal with that?

You know why Atlee Dodge produces and sells cowl steps and handles for Cessnas? Because more guys add them than get rid of them.

How big of a step ladder do you think it takes?

There is always one of these in my baggage area:

051751010404lg.jpg

Very compact, lays flat on the floor so luggage goes on top of it. And I don't have to have any of those ugly assed steps on my struts or cowl.

Ewwwwwwwww...f***ing ewwwwwwwww!

My Cessna didn't have them,carried a step ladder all the time,wish I had them.

My Cessna didn't have them,carried a step ladder all the time,wish I had them.

A small three step step ladder is far less "monkey like" than climbing around on steps mounted to the airframe and, maybe more importantly, lass torturing of the airframe considering the size of the average person these days.

I've seen stress cracks near airframe mounted steps on many aircraft.

Wow, lot of assumptions going on in this thread.

For those who have, and love your steps and handles - good for you, here's your award for the day.

:cheerswine:
You want to come in here, act all coy, get your questions answered, but not answer a really simple one. Unless you're going to use the removed parts in a sex act, I can't imagine why you wouldn't answer the simple question. But hey, do whatever you want. Just don't act all indignant when people get irritated and make assumptions because you're pretending to be obtuse. :thumbsup:

You want to come in here, act all coy, get your questions answered, but not answer a really simple one. Unless you're going to use the removed parts in a sex act, I can't imagine why you wouldn't answer the simple question. But hey, do whatever you want. Just don't act all indignant when people get irritated and make assumptions because you're pretending to be obtuse. :thumbsup:

Are you serious?

Look, this was a simple thread. Tom was nice enough to answer it in the second post. Job done. Mason has some philosophical need to know my reasoning, and I would like to know what his reasoning is for leaving them on. I even went so far as to postulate this in the OP: "(for access to the top of the wing). "

So, I understand WHY they exist in time and space. I just asked if it's ok to have them removed. who the F cares WHY some stupid shyte on the internet wants them off, and I don't answer to Mason or you, or anyone else with some kind of panty wad issues.

If I don't want to have them on my plane, then I take them off. If I don't want to answer a simple question, I guess you and Mason are just going to have to live with a little disappointment in your life. As for being indignant, pot, meet kettle.

Are you serious?

Look, this was a simple thread. Tom was nice enough to answer it in the second post. Job done. Mason has some philosophical need to know my reasoning, and I would like to know what his reasoning is for leaving them on. I even went so far as to postulate this in the OP: "(for access to the top of the wing). "

So, I understand WHY they exist in time and space. I just asked if it's ok to have them removed. who the F cares WHY some stupid shyte on the internet wants them off, and I don't answer to Mason or you, or anyone else with some kind of panty wad issues.

If I don't want to have them on my plane, then I take them off. If I don't want to answer a simple question, I guess you and Mason are just going to have to live with a little disappointment in your life. As for being indignant, pot, meet kettle.
Oh, I can be a real dick for sure. But I don't do it in threads that I started asking for info.

How big of a step ladder do you think it takes?

There is always one of these in my baggage area:

051751010404lg.jpg

Very compact, lays flat on the floor so luggage goes on top of it. And I don't have to have any of those ugly assed steps on my struts or cowl.

Ewwwwwwwww...f***ing ewwwwwwwww!

Steps and handles were added so you don't have to carry one of those. IMHO you took a step backwards.

Oh, I can be a real dick for sure. But I don't do it in threads that I started asking for info.

Asked, and answered. Job done, have a nice day, objects in mirror, don't try at home, closed course, pro driver, and may cause anal leakage. Everything after post #2 was just mental floss.

It wasn't the size of the ladder I was questioning, merely the hassle of dragging around that piece of equipment all of the time when the steps are sufficient and less intrusive. To each their own, I just don't see the point of stripping them off if they're already installed.

Are you serious?

Maybe the curiosity surrounding your motive is to make sure we're not missing anything ourselves.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Maybe the curiosity surrounding your motive is to make sure we're not missing anything ourselves.

I appreciate that. But as soon as I start talking about something I know nothing about(Cessnas), I run afoul of the old cliche; 'better to remain silent and let people think you a fool, than to speak and remove any doubt'.

I appreciate that. But as soon as I start talking about something I know nothing about(Cessnas), I run afoul of the old cliche; 'better to remain silent and let people think you a fool, than to speak and remove any doubt'.
I better appreciate the old adage, "better to appear a fool than turn your Cessna in to a very expensive lawn ornament."

Granted, in this case you fortunately wouldn't!

Mason has some philosophical need to know my reasoning, and I would like to know what his reasoning is for leaving them on.

That has pretty much been covered by others.

Especially at grass/remote/unattended fields, I find the steps and handles a great way to check fuel levels and fuel caps.

If you don't want them it is perfectly fine.

Back