Cessna Shoulder Harness Problems

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone else have problems keeping the Cessna stock shoulder harness attached to the buckle?

I just started flying a 421 and the stupid shoulder harness is constantly popping out of the buckle. I remember having this problem occasionally when flying rental 172s that use the same seat belt setup.

Any tricks to prevent it?

I had the same problem with my 172. As I recall there was a plastic grommet around the male part of the connector. If this is worn or missing the shoulder harness will not fit snugly in the buckle. I wound up just replacing my shoulder harnesses with the retractable type which solved the problem and provided better movement in the cockpit.

Anyone else have problems keeping the Cessna stock shoulder harness attached to the buckle?

I just started flying a 421 and the stupid shoulder harness is constantly popping out of the buckle. I remember having this problem occasionally when flying rental 172s that use the same seat belt setup.

Yup. Maybe a few turns of tape around the peg might help. Maybe some rubber bands.

Last edited:
Agree it is usually the plastic grommet worn or missing that causes it to pop out. A zip tie can make a tight but serviceable replacement for the grommet.

Brian

I just loop the shoulder harness under the seatbelt, top to bottom and then attach it. And check it again before landing.

Thanks all! The airplane goes into annual at the end of the month and I let the shop know about the grommet issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a foot of clear vinyl tubing at the hardware store for about a buck. I slice off a piece the size of the grommet and warm it then stretch it on. This secures the belt easily and they last a long time. Rubber bands also work, but they fail quickly. I don't remember what diameter I used, but it should be easy to figure out. Or buy a few sizes to try and see what works best. Cheap enough and 1 foot is pretty much a lifetime supply.

wait, there is supposed to be a grommet on those things? Ive flown 6 different 172's and none have had them. I didn't know a grommet existed.

Think I found the problem.

Stock shoulder harness? Embrace the goodness that is BAS

Back