Cessna Pitot-Static Sump Bottle — Options

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
In the course of 4 years, I’ve had to replace 3 of these due to leakage. Does anyone make anything more durable? Ridiculous. I’m not the only one from what I hear.

We've replaced one. They're definitely not well built these days. Flimsy plastic.

But breaking multiple would make me wonder oabout mounting and vibration -- is yours whacking on something or getting kicked or something weird?

To me the best way to fix these are:

Get rid of them altogether, or

Install them with a flexible line on both ends. These should not be screwed directly to a fitting on the static port but rather attached a piece of plastic/nylon static line that attaches it to the fitting of the static port.

Does anyone make anything more durable?
What aircraft? Do you know if the sumps were installed as a kit or came from the factory? We removed some off a old 172 that were installed as a kit. Other option is remove as an alteration and if want replace the elbow with a "T" and add a "drain" tube extension below the T. We saw it as a minor alt but have heard of the removals/drains route done as a field approval also.

@455 Bravo Uniform - perhaps really dumb question. Where are these at on the 182. I now fear I have 4 in the plane all broken with bees living in them LOL!

LOL! Look inside the cabin where the static ports exit. Probably behind your kick panels. If your airspeed is accurate and you’ve passed your biennial pitot-static check, it’s probably fine.

What aircraft? Do you know if the sumps were installed as a kit or came from the factory? We removed some off a old 172 that were installed as a kit. Other option is remove as an alteration and if want replace the elbow with a "T" and add a "drain" tube extension below the T. We saw it as a minor alt but have heard of the removals/drains route done as a field approval also.

182P. Not seen in my logs. Great idea, thanks.

We've replaced one. They're definitely not well built these days. Flimsy plastic.

But breaking multiple would make me wonder oabout mounting and vibration -- is yours whacking on something or getting kicked or something weird?

Too many “short field” touchdowns, lol.

Back