Cessna data tag

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
If you find your Cessna data tag missing, good luck getting a replacement.

Dear Cessna Customer:
Thank you for inquiring on how to obtain a replacement data plate for your aircraft. Before we can consider supplying a replacement the following criteria must be met and your request submitted through an Authorized Cessna Service Station or a Cessna Service Engineer.
1. A notarized letter from the registered owner stating what happened to the original data plate, along with describing the circumstances surrounding the loss. The letter must also contain a statement as to when the plate was first found to be missing. The letter must also indicate any major repairs or modifications (requiring a 337 Form or S.T.C.). If no modification or major repairs have been accomplished, the following statement must be contained in the letter: “No major repairs or modifications have been accomplished to this airplane.â€￾
The letter must also contain the aircraft model and serial number and the registration number.
2. A letter (on official letter head) from the F.A.A. Regional Office or appropriate governmental agency (International) stating that the airplane is as represented. The letter should also state aircraft model, serial number, registration number and registered owner’s name and give permission to remove and/or install the Duplicate Data Plate.
3. An aircraft conformity check confirming in writing that:
A. The aircraft meets the original type certificate, i.e.: engine, propeller and placards.
B. All mandatory bulletins are accomplished (a Service Bulletin List obtained from Technical Support Services shall be used and each mandatory bulletin must be marked as complete by the party performing the conformity check. This list must be returned to Cessna Technical Information Services with the request). This listing may be ordered by contacting Cessna at 316-517-5800. The cost for this listing is $68.00. A credit card number may be used when ordering by phone.
C. Modification such as winglets, STOL kits, spoilers or any others are not installed.This conformity check must be performed by:
– An authorized Cessna Service Station.
– A Cessna Service Engineer.
Cessna will be happy to coordinate such a conformity check and you may contact us at 316-517-5800.
4. There is a $404.00 charge plus your local and state sales tax for the replacement data plate if supplied by Cessna.
A check or credit card number (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) must accompany your request.
5. Cessna reserves the right not to supply a duplicate data plate if we feel the aircraft has been modified or repaired in such a manner that, in our opinion, the design load carrying ability or flight characteristics of the airplane have been changed.
NOTE: Prices subject to change without notice.
Sincerely,
Cessna Aircraft Co.

Simple stuff for a legitimate airplane. Not as simple when the TC holder isn't a big and easy to find company like Cessna.

Other than the fee, you're pretty much stuck with that. You're lucky Cessna will let you deal just with them. In general the FAA guidance is you have to deal with them and they will go over your logs with a finer tooth comb than what Cessna is asking for above.

Other than the fee, you're pretty much stuck with that. You're lucky Cessna will let you deal just with them. In general the FAA guidance is you have to deal with them and they will go over your logs with a finer tooth comb than what Cessna is asking for above.

Did you read #2?

What do you think happens with imports?

If the aircraft has major alterations or major repairs that are not FAA approved, guess what is required before an FAA airworthiness certificate can be issued.

It's just Cessna's way of supporting their service centers.

For many years the pilot's seat enertia reel was a free kit and could be installed by any A&P.

Last week I tried to pick up a kit that was ordered way back when they were free, and was told the kit must be installed by the service center.

Honestly, how on earth do you "lose" a Cessna data tag?

Might be cheaper to buy a wreck of same model/year and perform a data plate transplant?

Mechanics with crainalrectitis

There are lots of aircraft where anyone could drill it off at anytime. Others like mine aren't readily visible, even with open doors.

Then there is the insurance wrecks etc where someone at some point may have removed it.

Good way to end up with revocations at best, federal penitentiary at worst. :rolleyes:

I've wondered about this also.

Clearly taking a plate from a different aircraft as-is is akin to switching Vin plates on a car and is a no-no.

Couldn't one just make a replacement data plate with matching serial number and other data? I mean it's just a square piece of metal.

I'm assuming OP is talking about a legitimate loss of just a data plate and not anything fraudulent, like masking an insurance-totalled aircraft rebuild or similar.

Good way to end up with revocations at best, federal penitentiary at worst. :rolleyes:

Never said it was legal, just cheaper. Of course, just behold the wonders "legal" has done for GenAv.

How many here could tell if the data tag was removed and replaced on any 100 series Cessna?

tell me how.

Never said it was legal, just cheaper.

So as an attorney you would advocate a client to consider the "cheaper" alternative?

Of course, just behold the wonders "legal" has done for GenAv.

Ok, so do away with the "legal" part. How would you feel about buying an aircraft, unbeknown to you, that had the data plate swapped and in fact was not the aircraft you assumed you are spending your money on. Don't you lawyer types have a term for that? :rolleyes:

So as an attorney you would advocate a client to consider the "cheaper" alternative?

Ok, so do away with the "legal" part. How would you feel about buying an aircraft, unbeknown to you, that had the data plate swapped and in fact was not the aircraft you assumed you are spending your money on. Don't you lawyer types have a term for that? :rolleyes:

I simply would be delighted if it were a Supercub with a resent restoration.

I never claimed to be dispensing legal advice here; and unless I've missed an incoming check, no one here is my client.

The term is caveat emptor, but you've told me once before you have trouble with Latin.

I never claimed to be dispensing legal advice here; and unless I've missed an incoming check, no one here is my client.

Ah. So you personally would approve of such an act. Got it.

The term is caveat emptor, but you've told me once before you have trouble with Latin.

No, just the people who hide behind it with faux intellect.

Don't know how you would loose a data plate,going to Cessna seems like an easy solution. May cost some money probably worth it in the long run.

Selling logs and a data plate is not uncommon in the Cub world. It isn't unheard of in the Cessna world. Some guys have put together airplanes from parts. It can be done legally as a repair or it can be done less legally. Can't blame Cessna for making sure the airplane is what it's represented to be.

Nothing on an airplane can't be replaced. If an accident airplane had major structural repairs with new or salvaged parts it's conceivable the data tag may have been left off. Or an entire airplane could be built from parts. It used to be that nobody cared much. Then the FAA made some regulations to stop it. Remember CubCrafters and their Supercub production in the early days? Not allowed these days. No big deal in the E-AB category where most Cub guys would prefer to be. Not so easy for Cessna guys.

I guess no one wants to tell me how you would know the data tag has been off. or replaced.

I guess no one wants to tell me how you would know the data tag has been off. or replaced.

I'll take a stab at it. I'd look at the fasteners. I heard that really good chop shops keep fasteners that are weathered to match the vehicle when they change the VIN.

I'll take a stab at it. I'd look at the fasteners. I heard that really good chop shops keep fasteners that are weathered to match the vehicle when they change the VIN.

Pretty close, Cessna uses a proprietary rivet, you can't buy them.
The common AD rivet has a different head.

Plus the data tag is mounted on the door post. and you have no way of bucking the back side until you completely disassemble the post.
the 120/140/and the 170 are the exception.

Last edited:
I feel much more secure that the FAA has such stringent policies on the matter. They must be effective, considering that not a single aircraft has fallen from the sky due to a failure of its data plate.

I feel much more secure that the FAA has such stringent policies on the matter. They must be effective, considering that not a single aircraft has fallen from the sky due to a failure of its data plate.

Think Cessna policies, the FAA simply gives us good guidance in FAR part 45.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (d)(1) of this section, no person may remove, change, or place identification information required by paragraph (a) of this section, on any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, propeller blade, or propeller hub, without the approval of the FAA.

Last edited:
Think Cessna liability history. Your (theoretical) fraudulent clone airplane shouldn't be their problem, but yours.

Plus the data tag is mounted on the door post. and you have no way of bucking the back side until you completely disassemble the post.

The old crappy mechanic guy who died about 6 years ago up at APEX Airpark, he had a bucking bar that was a sight to behold. It was a 4' long skinny pole with a small bucking bar on the end. He could weave that thing up a door post.

For all the trouble he caused, being an alcoholic, he was a good sheet metal guy.

The old crappy mechanic guy who died about 6 years ago up at APEX Airpark, he had a bucking bar that was a sight to behold. It was a 4' long skinny pole with a small bucking bar on the end. He could weave that thing up a door post.

For all the trouble he caused, being an alcoholic, he was a good sheet metal guy.

Being a metalsmith is why he was an alcoholic. :)

They get removed all the time. How else do you inspect and/or treat corrosion under them?

Some people want top notch paint jobs which includes removing and treating all antenna ares too.

So is it legal to buy the data plate off Ebay and stamp the original info onto it and then install it ??. Just curious.

So is it legal to buy the data plate off Ebay and stamp the original info onto it and then install it ??. Just curious.
As an A&P-IA doing an annual, when I see a brand new data tag, improper rivets, I have a lot of questions.

Show me in the logs where any maintenance was completed that required this tag be removed as per FAR 45.

OK, you replaced the fuselage, show me the FAA authorization to do the tag transfer.

If you do not answer those two questions correctly, and be able to prove it, I'm making this entry to your A/F log book.

I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with FAR 43-D and was found to be in an UNairworthy condition with a list of discrepancies given to the owner.

Discrepancy #1 wrong data tag installed.

let your A&P or who ever installed the new data tag rationalize the return to service.

Back