Cessna centering cam

Jim greco

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim G
Hi, new to this site. I have a 63 C 182F. Wondering is nose strut is suppose to have a centering cam lock. With the strut fully down I can turn mine. Hoping this is normal

Last edited:
I am also new to this site. My name is Dustin by the way. I am an IA with several years experience working on GA aircraft. Could you provide more information on your aircraft. Such as a serial number and I am a bit confused by your model number. If I can get that info I can be more useful.

I am also new to this site. My name is Dustin by the way. I am an IA with several years experience working on GA aircraft. Could you provide more information on your aircraft. Such as a serial number and I am a bit confused by your model number. If I can get that info I can be more useful.
Hi Dustin. Sorry it’s a typo. It’s a 1963 182F serial 18254810. Wondering if Cessna installed a center cam lock in the nose strut

I am home now, but I will look in the maintenance manuals tomorrow. I am about 90% certain you should have one.

They get worn out. The ends of the flat spot on the oleo cylinder wear away, and the cam block loses its flat spot, too. It gets worn concave. The big problem here is that the rudder system uses that centering affair as its neutralizing force. The rudder ends up moving too easily in flight, which reduces yaw stability to some degree.

Check out the nose gear torque links.

I did check the manual today. There is a centering device for your plane. Likely yours is either worn or broke. Sometimes if the strut is overinflated and the aircraft is tugged it can break them. If yours is not working it can cause an error with your yaw in flight. The nose wheel begins to act kinda like a rudder. I hope this helps

OP, when you say it turns with the strut full down, do you mean fully collapsed or fully extended? If it is fully collapsed, it should turn. It is only when a strut reaches full extension that the centering mechanism comes into play. Now if you had the nose off the ground fully extending the strut and it turns then you could have a problem. Best idea I have is RTFM.

I did check the manual today. There is a centering device for your plane. Likely yours is either worn or broke. Sometimes if the strut is overinflated and the aircraft is tugged it can break them. If yours is not working it can cause an error with your yaw in flight. The nose wheel begins to act kinda like a rudder. I hope this helps
Thanks. Time for the shop. Appreciate your help

OP, when you say it turns with the strut full down, do you mean fully collapsed or fully extended? If it is fully collapsed, it should turn. It is only when a strut reaches full extension that the centering mechanism comes into play. Now if you had the nose off the ground fully extending the strut and it turns then you could have a problem. Best idea I have is RTFM.
I meant nose off the ground. Fully extended. Thanks for the help

Back