Cessna Cardinal lands on north Georgia highway

I have a question.... What happens to the plane next? Do they fix it and let him take off from road? Or do they have to take it apart (even if fixable in a timely manner) and return it to nearest airport?

I have a question.... What happens to the plane next? Do they fix it and let him take off from road? Or do they have to take it apart (even if fixable in a timely manner) and return it to nearest airport?

Depends on local law enforcement. Here we can ask to have a road closed temporarily to land or take off if you pay for the deputies time.

This:

That video has always bothered me. Why in the world would anyone have attempted take off with an emergency vehicle that close to your takeoff path? There has to be a Paul Harvey side to that story.

Nice job on the landing,and parking off the highway. Intermittent engine,and pilot thinking he can't make an airport. Could be fuel starvation.

One possibility:

The firewall shutoff in these aircraft seems like an odd afterthought IMHO, and have caused fatal accidents in the past. The fuel selector is capable of turning the fuel off, but Cessna installed them in a manner in which the "OFF" detent cannot be used, so that's where the firewall valve comes into play.

The lever of the firewall valve attaches to a wire core type cable and the bolt used has come loose in the past and the firewall valve worked its way closed inflight on its own. Also, the sheath of that cable has also slipped in its mount on the firewall which has also pulled that valve from the fully open position.

My only guess as to why they set the fuel system up this way is to prevent accidental fuel starvation when switching fuel tanks. The firewall valve knob is supposed to be safety wired to the “ON” position using a breakaway safety wire.

Here is the picture of one I was in the process of removing. (Pic is upside down).

We all know they use pretty much this same stupid setup on the mixture control cables of thousands of carburated airplanes, which have also caused fatal accidents.

Last edited:
Back