Cessna bruises?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Hello everyone,

I was taking a shower and saw a bruise on my right leg below the knee.

It was in the EXACT SHAPE of that little step on the 172 wing strut - the one you use to get into the plane and sit down, and also I use that when I stand up and fill the wing tanks (my fuel is self serve).

Of course, this was a "new" plane (first time after the check out with my CFI flying it as PIC with a pax). I have flown the plane about 5-7 times now. Oh, and it was at night when I got the bruise.

Both myself and the pax hit our shins on these areas more than once, so my question is this:

What "injuries" have you received from your plane(s), and was it limited to strictly new / unfamiliar planes?

I've heard of bumping your head (I've done that) but anything else?

Kimberly

Every Cessna driver has given themselves the little diamond-shaped cuts in the forehead, walking into the back of the wing. Sooner or later...

:)

(Okay, never really seen the diamond-shape, that's just the joke, but I've whacked my head on my flaps before. A baseball cap helps make it hurt a whole lot less. Especially if you keep your hair cut as short as mine is. #3 buzzzzzz cut.)

You're gonna have to narrow it down! Every plane I've ever flown, it seems like, had some sort of gotcha. And they all got me! Except the DA-40, that plane was nice to me. Of course there was also the time the mechanic dropped the Skylane (wing) on my head...pretty sure that left a mark (and erased everything after calc 1).

Every Cessna driver has given themselves the little diamond-shaped cuts in the forehead, walking into the back of the wing. Sooner or later...

(Okay, never really seen the diamond-shape, that's just the joke, but I've whacked my head on my flaps before. A baseball cap helps make it hurt a whole lot less. Especially if you keep your hair cut as short as mine is. #3 buzzzzzz cut.)

I've seen the diamond shape cut on my first flight instructor. The bandaid on his forehead was really funny looking and a few months later you could still see the diamond shaped scar.

Last edited:
My airplane would never hurt me, but like Scott, it has done a number on my finances.

You're gonna have to narrow it down! Every plane I've ever flown, it seems like, had some sort of gotcha. And they all got me! Except the DA-40, that plane was nice to me. Of course there was also the time the mechanic dropped the Skylane (wing) on my head...pretty sure that left a mark (and erased everything after calc 1).

No I don't need to narrow it down. It would be fun to hear about your battle wounds, no matter how many.

I wonder what pilot has the most pilot-ey scars all over him or her. Could be cute, or - the planes could be trying to tell them to perhaps stop flying.

I've never had diamonds on my head, but it seems like almost every time I fly I get injured in some way-scrapes, cuts, bruises, etc. Usually I don't know how it happened and don't notice until after I'm done flying.

I should bring a first aid kit when I rent my plane. Never thought of this and there certainly isn't one on board.

8 stitches in an eyebrow from my aileron once...

Arrow cut my arm with the storm window while trying to shake what was left of the cowling off the left wing...

Cotterpins...

Safty wire...

Let's just say I bleed a lot:rofl:

8 stitches in an eyebrow from my aileron once...

My wife was helping me wipe bugs off the plane after a flight a couple weeks ago and bashed her head on the flap. Luckily she didn't draw blood, just a bump...

One HIGHLY recomended mod for all owners of Cessnas not so equiped

The bulb type trailing edge, saved my hide a few times!

Mine is actually a little 1/4 moon shape. I happened to be wearing safety glasses when I walked into the trail edge in the shop. I never saw it and it knocked me on my butt leaving the shape of the safety glasses nose bridge permanently imprinted on my lower forehead.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Pitot tube in the back while crawling around under the wing of a Cherokee. Its called blade for a reason.
picture.php

Pitot tube in the back while crawling around under the wing of a Cherokee. Its called blade for a reason.
picture.php

Mind the tiedown rings too, co-worker was right on the edge of needing stitches from one on a Navajo

If you are 6 ft or over, or are doing a walk around at almost any height with flaps down, you will get the cessna diamonds.. extra points for owner assist annual as you increase your trips around the craft by a factor of 10-20.

Then there is the Cessna door capture -- Makes a nice Divot / Puncture if you are milling around the strut area (checking the static port for instance) with the door closed -- it is a killer. Mandatory disassemble at annual time as exposure x worrying about what is being killed at the wallet = assured you will nail it.

Wheel pants - Mains on the spring landing gear which are closer to the door than the later models -- your shins will get to know these beauties well.

Baseball caps with the brim forward will guarantee you will miss seeing these hazards-- and you thought the backward style was a "hip" thing.. Nope -- Cessna self preservation was the real source.

Duncan was right on the bulb trailing edge-- why Cessna did not add that as a matter of course is beyond me..

KimberlyA found the entry step so that makes 4 x 2 chances every trip. :yikes: :yikes:

I carry bandages in my wallet with my PPL Cert, should be mandatory :idea:

Last edited:
No I don't need to narrow it down. It would be fun to hear about your battle wounds, no matter how many.

I wonder what pilot has the most pilot-ey scars all over him or her. Could be cute, or - the planes could be trying to tell them to perhaps stop flying.

Oh lordy, that'd be a long post! I don't know if I could even remember them all.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I bashed my skull on various Cessna products. Especially 08D. It's the POS red one I have the picture of below. It was the only plane we had with a STOL kit on it. I got pretty good at avoiding wings and static wicks without looking, until we got that ugly monstrosity. It's like it was reaching down to punish me.

4 years working the line, I washing a LOT of airplanes. I learned the hard way that, when sliding around under a plane on a mechanic's creeper, you keep your head DOWN on the headrest. Feel where you're going, don't look, keep your head down! Almost took a Com antenna off with my head. Did take off an ADF antenna with my knee. Oh, and when you stand up from the creeper, make SURE you know where the prop is!

I still have the scar on my right index finger from washing the ****ing 421. I don't remember what I did (I think I caught it either on an exhaust pipe or part of the flap track...both were notoriously hazardous), but I sliced my finger open, about an inch cut, to the bone. I uses two Q-Tips with the cotton cut of as a splint, wrapped it in about 3inches of tissue and scotch tape and got back to washing. I made somebody else handle the solvent, though.

Ahhh the 1900...I LOVED that plane; I don't think it loved me. I could walk under the wing standing up as long as I was out near the tip. But get too close to the wing tip and there's the drain spout for the fuel tank overflow chamber, complete with a tapered (aka sharpened) tip. Only have to make that mistake once (or three times) to not want to do it again. It was especially bad in the winter when we were wearing our wheel caps...those things, I think, were designed to MAKE you brain yourself on stuff.

Another fun trait of the 1900 - with most turbo-props, when you shut them down you leave the props in "feather." (See the second picture of the 1900...blades are parallel with the fuselage). This is good for the engines, bad for the pilots. With the props feathered they are REALLY hard to see if you walk up to the plane at the wrong angle (really, any angle). We were supposed to leave the props so they were forming an "X", that way the lower blade is below the waist (and easier to see) and the upper blade was above your head. If you forget and leave them in the "+" position...it looked like I had a lobotomy with the mark straight across my forehead.

On the Q-400 (1st cockpit photo), I could stand up in the cabin, even with my (stupid) hat on. More importantly, I could walk almost all the way into the cockpit without ducking (the cockpit door closed flush against the ceiling). On the Saab 340 (second cockpit photo), however, I can't stand in the cabin, so my head is always bowed. Add to that the 3 inch metal flashing at the entrance to the cockpit. PLUS the (stupid) hat blocking my view. Lets just say the metal wins every time.

And the stairs on the Saab...stupid stairs. They're metal and fold out from the side of the plane. But to fit in the door, they have to fold in half. So when you extend them, there's a fairly large pinch point on both handrails. Ask me how I know.

The seats on my current plane are a bit narrow (as is the whole cockpit). Well, on one side of the seat is the hand pump handle for the emergency gear extension. It can either be stowed so it pokes you in the butt cheek, or so it pokes you in the thigh. Your choice. But no other options (like keeping it the hell out of the way). On the other side of the seat is the up-down adjustment handle for the seat itself. If you have the seat moved all the way up, it's out of the way. But if I do that, I'd need to cut the top 6 inches of my head off. With the seal all the way down, it jabs into your leg. After a long week, I end up with bruises on BOTH legs, thanks to those things.

I'm sure that's only just scratching the surface (so to speak) of all the ways I've hurt myself with airplanes!

Attachments

• 4808D over the stripes close up.jpg
    4808D over the stripes close up.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9640.JPG
    IMG_9640.JPG
    911.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3778.JPG
    IMG_3778.JPG
    807.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
I tore a pretty big gash on my leg from the step on my plane. Took about 3 weeks to heal. You can also (still) see a couple of RF burns on one of my fingers from my days working on medium-wave radio transmitting stations.....

I hit my head on the door all the time. But so far, it hasn't resulted in damage to the airplane.

Hello everyone,

I was taking a shower and saw a bruise on my right leg below the knee.

It was in the EXACT SHAPE of that little step on the 172 wing strut - the one you use to get into the plane and sit down, and also I use that when I stand up and fill the wing tanks (my fuel is self serve).

Now, what sort of 172 is this that you can use the cabin entry step as a fuelling step?

Some 172s had a long step, some were short. The long step was great for tripping folks. We had a young guy trip over one; he fell and broke a hip.

Dan

I hit my head really hard on the prop once disconnecting the tow bar, and I've gotten Cessna forehead a couple of times.

Watch out for those static wicks! they'll poke an eye out! lol

Watch out for those static wicks! they'll poke an eye out! lol

That's no joke! There's a photo series floating around somewhere of a NetJets pilot that took a static wick in the eye. Pretty nasty. He was actually able to fly again, but I think it took a while. I'm REALLY cautious when I'm anywhere near static wicks that are head level and below!

I'm a member of the Cessna Diamond Club, although I thankfully don't have a scar from it. I was putting the plane away back in the hangar after coming back home on a 4.2hr XC flight and feeling fairly tired... Walked full speed right into the aileron and left a bleeding cut right above my eyebrow. :no:

I was trying to clear dirt from an under the wing fuel sump that was leaking on our archer by blowing compressed air into it, which caused fuel to bubble out the uncapped fuel tank. I was crouched down with my head parallel to the ground and fuel ran off the leading edge into my ear canal. I flushed it out for about 20 minutes before the pain subsided. It hurt BAD!!!

Now, what sort of 172 is this that you can use the cabin entry step as a fuelling step?

Some 172s had a long step, some were short. The long step was great for tripping folks. We had a young guy trip over one; he fell and broke a hip.

Dan

Oh crud you are correct.

The wing strut has a different foot hold area.

Sorry about that.

Airplane newbie!

Of course there was also the time the mechanic dropped the Skylane (wing) on my head...pretty sure that left a mark (and erased everything after calc 1).

He was just using you as a cushion. Wouldn't want to hurt a Skylane, ya know? ;)

Plus he knew you'd never use that higher math anyway. ;) ;) ;)

Has no one else done the "Piper trap-door fall" on the flaps? That's what happens when you step onto the trailing edge of the wing with one notch of flaps still deployed. You wind up on your butt in a flash.

And, of course, there is "Piper shin", where you have slipped off the step and abraded your shin all the way down to the ground.

And that short, little 3" antenna stub on the bottom of the plane? Stick THAT right in your eye whilst cleaning the bottom of the plane.

And rolling on a creeper underneath the plane, into the pointy trailing edge of the nosepant...head-first.

And, of course, burning the crap out of your forearms on the headers, trying to get the quick-drain on the bottom of the still-hot engine to quickly drain.

Flying little airplanes is dangerous!

I grew up around airplanes which leaves lots of opportunities for being a klutz.

A 152 was in a hangar for maintenance. I ducked down exactly the right height to go under the back of the wing without any risk of hitting my head. The problem was that the front was lifted up to change a tire which lowers the trailing edge..just enough to stamp the cessna diamond on my head as it knocked me on my butt.

Piper shin buster. You think you're gonna die from the pain.
Cherokee pitot brain splitter.
Hot engine parts.
Elevator to the head when dad was doing the preflight and I was on the other side.
Brained myself on the prop.
Bonked myself in the head with the tow bar when I pulled and it came loose.
Stepped on the Piper's flap at night once..well, sort of. Dad hadn't put the flaps up yet and I stepped into space and did the overbalanced stagger dance toward the stabilator. The best advice is to fall to the ground before getting there because you're still going to end up on the ground so you might as well minimize the hurt involved.
As a kid I was sitting on the front of the Cherokee's wing walk and leaned back and put my hands on the front of the wing playing it all cool. The leading edge is a bit steep at that point and, well, the ground is hard. Hysterically laughing witnesses galore!
Stepped back down to the fuselage step after checking fuel on a 172. Missed the step.
I grew up around airplanes so I got the tiedown ring to the top of the head countless times. Owie. I got the flap hinge hardware to the head too - not amusing in the least.
Stood up into the bottom of wings enough times to probably bend the spars.
Walked into the wing strut.
Knocked myself senseless with the top edge of the Cherokee door frame while getting in.
Lots of other stupid things.

You're not around airplanes forever starting at age zero without doing lots of stupid stuff.

Wings are for walking on, not banging your head into. Maybe that is why Vans picked a low wing design? :confused:

Can't think of too many problems unless you are talking about working on them. The other day I ran a #30 drill bit up under my finger nail of my middke finger up to the cuticle. Does that count? It will be 6 months before my finger nail grows back. :eek:

Wings are for walking on, not banging your head into. Maybe that is why Vans picked a low wing design? :confused:

Can't think of too many problems unless you are talking about working on them. The other day I ran a #30 drill bit up under my finger nail of my middke finger up to the cuticle. Does that count? It will be 6 months before my finger nail grows back. :eek:

Augh! There's a mental image I won't be able to purge for a while...

I'll say it again: AUGH! :yikes:

I managed to avoid Cessna diamonds when I was doing my PPL training in a 172, but I did scrape my scalp on something right after my checkride.

The Cardinal has smooth trailing edges. I've managed to avoid them for the most part, but I've bumped my head on the wing more than once. When I was redoing the interior a couple of years ago, I scraped and stabbed myself on various internal sharp bits many times. I left so much DNA material in there that the plane and I are probably genetically related.

And at Ohkosh 2009, I was checking out a nice vintage 150 at the Cessna display when a salesman asked if he could answer any questions. I turned around, declined his offer, turned back to the plane and almost knocked myself out hitting my head on the wing strut. I was stunned for several minutes after that.

I can personally assure you that the "Cessna Diamond" is NOT "just a joke"...:redface:

You do have to be a person of significant height though.

Augh! There's a mental image I won't be able to purge for a while...

I'll say it again: AUGH! :yikes:

Here's another. I'm balding, which means that there's little hair on top to take the abuse. I've never had a case of Cessna Diamondhead, but those little diamonds make great scoops to rip out a strip of scalp as you walk forward under the aileron. Bleeds like crazy and take a long time for the ditch to fill itself back in.

The worst attack of an airplane upon me occurred when I was installing the release cable for a tail towhook in the belly of a Citabria. Had to climb into the tailcone, which is full of cables and steel struts and the retention wires for the wood fairing strips: a real prison. And you're facing downhill, too. With an arthritic hip I was unable to extricate myself for some time and was thoroughly %#@%$^* by the time I got out. And sore, too.

Dan

Dude, you're into some kinky stuff there....

Back