Cessna autopilot

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Never seen that but my guess is that LOC tracks the localizer. I'm sure some one with some knowledge of the system will be along soon. You might also do a google search for the operators manual.

Never seen that but my guess is that LOC tracks the localizer. I'm sure some one with some knowledge of the system will be along soon. You might also do a google search for the operators manual.

Thanks!

Sorry guys, all my posts were deleted by my mistake.
So, my question is about the autopilot set on Cessna 150 and what modes does it have (what is "CAP" mode and "ZONE").
Does it work with built in GPS or gyroscopic instruments (attitude indicator)?
All kind of information is needed and thanks a lot for your prompt replies)))
Pic is attached:
CAM01194.jpg

Lol, that thing is a few decades older than GPS. There should be the instructions in the plane's manual, if not you may find one on the Internet.

Lol, that thing is a few decades older than GPS. There should be the instructions in the plane's manual, if not you may find one on the Internet.

There are no instructions in manual, and I don't know the model, so I can't find it in google:dunno:
p.s. Have no access to plane till next week, so I won't be able to check it onboard.

That's an old Brittain autopilot (cessna and Mooney both put their own labels on it).

When you want to intercept a VOR radial, you set you OBS on the VOR and the heading dial on the autopilot both to the desirecd course. You hit CAP, and the thing will fly an intercept angle. Once the needle comes to center, you turn it to TRK and it will track the course.

The zone control is set to your approximate location something to do with the magnetic compass balance.

Brittain is still in business, and I've heard they'll just send you a manual if you email them.

That's an old Brittain autopilot (cessna and Mooney both put their own labels on it).

When you want to intercept a VOR radial, you set you OBS on the VOR and the heading dial on the autopilot both to the desirecd course. You hit CAP, and the thing will fly an intercept angle. Once the needle comes to center, you turn it to TRK and it will track the course.

The zone control is set to your approximate location something to do with the magnetic compass balance.

Brittain is still in business, and I've heard they'll just send you a manual if you email them.

Have a Brittain (different head) in the Cardinal, 6 years since repairing the components and still working flawless.

Their website says they will give you manuals.

Thanks a lot!
So, it works only with VOR beacons, and can't simply hold desired heading without it?

See picture #25. You don't have all the functions but that's the box.

http://www.brittainautopilots.com/photo-gallery.html

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Zone is what zone you are in. Like twilight zone, landing zone, postal zone, zoned out etc.

Hang on to that thing. It has antique value!

The Zone is what zone you are in. Like twilight zone, landing zone, postal zone, zoned out etc.

Hang on to that thing. It has antique value!

Oh no! That is still a perfectly serviceable autopilot from a manufacturer that has great support and is still in business. Even better they don't require you to bring the plane/parts to their facility for service, any competent avionics shop can work on it and replace just parts, not entire components. It may not be pretty, but it is a perfectly good, cheap to keep, autopilot.

Oh no! That is still a perfectly serviceable autopilot from a manufacturer that has great support and is still in business. Even better they don't require you to bring the plane/parts to their facility for service, any competent avionics shop can work on it and replace just parts, not entire components. It may not be pretty, but it is a perfectly good, cheap to keep, autopilot.

4 pneumatic servos
1 Turn Coordinator
1 DG
All overhauled for less than $3k IIRC. The heading bug on the DG works slick. I don't really care that it can track nav, I just use the heading bug.

The TC has "aileron trim" too

Brattain autopilots are good bang for the $.

The problem is, there are parts that take 6-12 months to source directly from Brittain.

The problem is, there are parts that take 6-12 months to source directly from Brittain.

When we upgraded from the basic wing leveler to the Tru Trak, they had the entire kit together in a few weeks.

Waiting for parts/kits to be made/built for new autopilot installation is pretty much the norm.

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/Autopilot-Repairs-Worth-a-Try220472-1.html

Cobham has an overhaul service—which covers replacement of most or all major components. That same 55X requiring overhaul has a price of $8441. This might be required for older computers with obsolete circuit boards. In some cases, Cobham might exchange the computer. Shops report long turn-around times, but our experience with the quality of S-TEC repairs is favorable, as is the quality of field technical support. Build time for a new system could be as long as five weeks, since each autopilot is airframe specific.

When this 177B driver reported nearly a year long wait for a simple sheet metal part, I don't think Brittain is bad at all. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67398&highlight=yellowbird

Took over 5 weeks to get a TKM MX300 repaired. Power supply died and took something with it.

I've seen 9 week lead times for jet parts, on jet that are still in production. :yikes:

Last edited:
Hey, my S-TEC 55X Pitch Servos were recalled pretty much between the time they were installed and the time I got to fly the plane. The roll unit went TU within a few months. They've both been replaced and has worked flawlessly since, but I don't find S-TEC/MEGGITT/COBHAMs service to be all that great. Al least an Autopilot failure doesn't put me AOG like losing the POS garmin audio panel and Garmin service left me high and dry on that one.

Back