Cessna 414 down near John Wayne - 5 Dead

Wow. RIP. Glad no one was hurt on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very sad. Deepest condolences to the families.

Very small footprint of wreckage, so likely a stall/spin or maybe pilot tangled with wake turbulence, like the In-n-Out executive crash of many years ago. Hard to see this at the field I trained at.

Posted the same in another thread that I’ll edit.

Looks like it left Buchanan Field at 10:23 AM PDT and crashed at 12:30 PM. Tail number was N727RP.

Looks like crash location was in front of CVS at the 3900 block of Bristol Street, Costa Mesa.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/costa-mesa-mall-plane-crash-photos/

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N727RP

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=727RP

https://www.controller.com/listings...cessna-414?dlr=1&sfc=0&ssc=0&src=0&sps=0&if=1

They flew out from my home field this morning. I wonder what happened. If the PIC declared an emergency. I wonder if they did hit some wake turbulence. Crazy and super sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RIP, heard 4-5 killed in a vehicle the plane hit?

Was reading the plane hit a parked, unoccupied car, but there were 5 souls on board the airplane.

RIP to all.

God bless. Will be interesting to hear how it unfolds. While it is hard to see all the stories about crashes, most of them can serve as a learning experience.

Saw some pics. Hard to look at. They were NSFW and I don't know who would want to take and post those pictures.

Always sad when tragedy strikes in this manner.

A crash in Oklahoma yesterday also took five lives.

:(

While there was no post-crash fire, one story I read said firemen had cleaned up a small fuel spill. Only a two hour flight, surely the pilot didn't...

:(:(

Last edited:
Now it sounds like he did in fact declare. Anyone good with live atc recordings?

I was listening to SNA’s Live ATC recording and all I heard (about 2 minutes before the end of the recording, or about 12:28 PM) was that they closed SNA and the controller didn’t know why. I didn’t hear N727RP transmit on frequency on the recording, but may have missed it.

Terrible being 1 mile from landing. No fire points to no fuel. 102 useable in ~1000NM range

Terrible being 1 mile from landing. No fire points to no fuel. 102 useable in ~1000NM range
Thanks just in the mains. It probably had aux tanks too. Either way the mains would have been plenty of fuel for that flight.

I feel like I am on here too often saying "I knew that guy" but I used to share an office with the pilot. He used to have a 182. When he got that 414 it seemed like he spent more time in the POH than he spent working. Never flew with him but he did show me it a few times. I thought it was a nice example of Pressurized twin.

wow. I was staying about 3 blocks from there this weekend. (Marriott Costa Mesa @ Bristol and Anton)

Two dashcams caught video. The clearest one shows the aircraft in a near vertical dive in a slow left hand rotation. Weird. I guess the NTSB will eventually be able to establish proximate cause of LOC.

I feel like I am on here too often saying "I knew that guy" but I used to share an office with the pilot. He used to have a 182. When he got that 414 it seemed like he spent more time in the POH than he spent working. Never flew with him but he did show me it a few times. I thought it was a nice example of Pressurized twin.

Sorry to hear that you knew the pilot.

A stall/spin getting too slow (especially if there was an aft CG, which is very easy to have in the 414) with 5 people) is certainly a possibility. I had some people who flew with me in the 414 who would try to stall the thing (not intentionally) and I'd have to forcibly push the yoke forward and go "WTF is wrong with you?"

That video of the dive is seriously f-ed up. Cant imagine watching the ground come up like that.

Wow that’s nuts.

A stall/spin getting too slow (especially if there was an aft CG, which is very easy to have in the 414) with 5 people) is certainly a possibility. I had some people who flew with me in the 414 who would try to stall the thing (not intentionally) and I'd have to forcibly push the yoke forward and go "WTF is wrong with you?"
thanks for the insight. The lack of fire suggests that there may have been fuel starvation in one of the engines, leading to loss of power and stall / spin. My question is, how thorough is training on the bigger Cessna twins?

I think it's proven now that solid type specific training helps reduce accidents. We see that in the MU2, and we saw that in the Cirrus. It was almost exactly a year ago that a 310 crashed in Santa Ana, and it seems like the rumor is that there are pilots who fly twins who are not proficient in single engine ops. Just curious. Not saying the accident pilot wasn't trained, the poster above wrote that he spent more time in the POH than working.. so I just mean that in a more general sense

I just cannot imagine the thoughts going through those peoples heads, watching the ground coming at them so quickly, knowing that they’d be dead in just a few seconds.

:hairraise:

On second thought, I’m glad I can’t imagine that.

thanks for the insight. The lack of fire suggests that there may have been fuel starvation in one of the engines, leading to loss of power and stall / spin. My question is, how thorough is training on the bigger Cessna twins?

I think it's proven now that solid type specific training helps reduce accidents. We see that in the MU2, and we saw that in the Cirrus. It was almost exactly a year ago that a 310 crashed in Santa Ana, and it seems like the rumor is that there are pilots who fly twins who are not proficient in single engine ops. Just curious. Not saying the accident pilot wasn't trained, the poster above wrote that he spent more time in the POH than working.. so I just mean that in a more general sense
Training is as good or as bad as you want it to be. There is no requirement for the 414.

Training is as good or as bad as you want it to be. There is no requirement for the 414.
That's a little scary. Those bigger Cessna twins are proper machines.. there really should be some standardized program out there beyond the basic multi instruction you may get in a Duchess. Sad. Rough weekend for accidents

That's a little scary. Those bigger Cessna twins are proper machines.. there really should be some standardized program out there beyond the basic multi instruction you may get in a Duchess. Sad. Rough weekend for accidents

They're ALL proper machines. :) Additional regulation is a slippery slope. I'm pretty happy with the insurance companies being the gate keepers with this.

The lack of a fire does indicate fuel starvation on both engines, which can be caused by a number of potential reasons, failure to put adequate fuel in the plane being the primary one. The complexity of the fuel system also can cause people to run out of fuel. It's not that it's hard, but it requires extra thought as you do have to actively manage the fuel between all 4-6 tanks.

@Tarheelpilot is correct that there is no legal requirement for the 414. It doesn't require a type rating, therefore the only required training is whatever the insurance mandates. However, it gets more complex than that. There is no mandated curriculum, so it's just a curriculum as approved by the insurance company.

They're ALL proper machines. :) Additional regulation is a slippery slope. I'm pretty happy with the insurance companies being the gate keepers with this.

On the whole I agree with you, but the problem with that is that the requirements from insurance vary heavily with the market rather than objectively looking at what creates safer pilots. For example, when I started flying the Navajo they wanted 50 hours of dual. I had >1000 TT with almost all of it multi. That was ludicrous. Fast forward to a couple years ago, and a friend of mine with ~250 TT transitioning into a Navajo needed an approved training course and 25 hours of dual. I felt that was more appropriate, especially in his situation. He was a good pilot. But I've also seen them let people with 500TT and no multi experience go into a 421, and to me, that is a terrible idea. 182 to a 414 isn't much better. The reason insurance has let that happen the past ~5 years is because there's a lot more competition in the markets.

My personal experience with 414 training was so-so at best, as well. Yes, there are good instructors out there (some would say I'm one of them) who really know the planes and challenge their students to make them better pilots while teaching them what they need to know to be safe in the airplane. When I went to sim training for the 414, it was a joke. The instructor had never sat in a Twin Cessna before, had very little multi time, and I ended up teaching him more about the plane (plus making corrections in the material) than he taught me. Now, I know more about the plane than most students coming in, but it was a complete joke and a waste of time and money. That's not the case for everyone, but there's no consistency and there's no requirement for instructors who actually know a lot about what they're teaching - it's a crapshoot.

Wayne Bower and I were talking a month or two back and he made a very good point. 85% of crashes are pilot error because pilots only learn about 15% of what they need to know.

And the insurance companies are indeed gate keepers here. In order to get reasonable insurance on something like a 414 or 421, a lot of people find themselves going to training centers like Simcom or FSI yearly just like the jet folks.

The accident pilot (while low time) was no different. He apparently went through annual sim training at Simcom in June according to someone who knew him on Beechtalk.

Why was it a rough weekend, or why should there be a standardized program?

On the weekend perspective there was an Extra 400 that crashed taking out 5 people, then this Cessna, there was I think at least one other one (we had a thread).

If the latter, then standardization has been shown to generally improve safety, etc. I agree with @kayoh190 I don't think we need more regulations, but there should be some standard curriculum that even if Cessna doesn't offer (since you know, they abandoned GA :stirpot:) has been established by the pilots who fly the bigger Cessna twins. All planes are proper machines, fine, but they're not as forgiving as a 172 or Duchess, which is what most people will earn their ratings on. In the case of the MU2 there are specific regulations around it. Cirrus technically does not, but just about all insurance carriers and clubs will require you go through their standardized program. The slideshows are a little weak, but the actual flying portions are comprehensive. Those 10 hrs are very stimulating as you work through the curriculum and you come out the other side much more comfortable with the plane itself. Do people still do stupid magenta line tricks, of course! But accident rates have shown the training helps. Surprised that there is no standard "big Cessna" program out there. From my research the insurance just requires some X amount of dual time.. but without some kind of structure or syllabus that dual time is useless if it's just you and your buddy going on some XC flights.

is correct that there is no legal requirement for the 414. It doesn't require a type rating, therefore the only required training is whatever the insurance mandates. However, it gets more complex than that. There is no mandated curriculum, so it's just a curriculum as approved by the insurance company.
My personal experience with 414 training was so-so at best, as well.
Thanks Ted, as usual your posts are informative and detailed. That's the part that's a little surprising to me.. from what I've read a plane like a 414, 421, etc., are more complex to fly and demanding than some turbines out there. Given that the crash footage shows the plane spiral diving in with no fire the immediate cause seems to be one that could have been easily avoided. Sad

Back