Cessna 400 down in TN

Should've waited another hour before taking off. Sad and unnecessary.

Hey James..... How is the egg business recovering?:dunno:

I will make a new thread if ya want..

I went to Panda Express a couple of weeks ago and on the drive-through window it said "due to the egg shortage, we have switched to an alternative recipe for our fried rice". Corn instead of egg :mad:

on the radio they were saying up/down drafts of 3000-4000 feet per min

I live near the crash location. The mountains they were crossing at the time have the highest peaks in the area. That area will frequently see mountain wave and turbulent air during front passage.

The other point is they took off from the valley North of the mountain ridges, flew South over and along the ridges, then tried to cross over again to head North. It appears that they took off, ran into heavy precip and chose to turn South to escape the precip. I wonder if they had any sort of onboard weather. I wonder what their preflight weather briefing - radar especially - consisted of.

The afternoon of the crash saw pockets of extreme precip in this area. It has been my experience that some ATC locations are better than others at assisting with wx alerts and deviation. Years ago Atlanta center warned me about a buildup along my route and advised I seek assistance from tri cities approach as they handed me off to tri cities. Tri cities told me they didn't see anything worse in front of me than where I was. I didn't have onboard wx. I proceeded to fly into an embedded CB black cloud, occasionally lit by lightning, precip so extreme water came into the plane from where I have never seen it before and I couldn't even hear the radio from the noise. I got onboard wx after that flight. At the time of the crash they were likely talking to tri cities depending on their altitude - under 10k tri cities, over 10k Atlanta center.

Some days it is just better to be VFR. This may have been one of those days.

Last edited:
I just wonder why they didn't say they were going to head away from it, get on the ground and wait it out. :dunno:

embedded T storms can and will kill ya...:sad::sad::sad::sad:

There be mountains in the area of this crash. Yeah, not out west sized mountains, but mountains none the less. I've been over those mountains on cavu days when the lennies were out (early in my flying career, not a smart move, spent a few hours at Va filling barf bags)

No way I want to be over those in embedded TS. :no:

Very sad. No matter what the circumstances where...

Egg shortage?
I guess I will head out to the hen house and explain to the 'girls' they need to drop an egg every day, no more of this taking a day off any time they feel like it.
We cannot stomach store bought eggs - thin, pale yolks and runny whites, yuck.

Back