Cessna 310R

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
I think their is a C-310 model certified for known ice is it the 310R model.

Technically speaking, the C-310R was the first 310 certified for known ice.

There is a lot of confusion about the whole known icing certification. In the mid-70's, the FAA changed the certification regulations to require certain testing before the OEM could approve the plane for flight into "known" icing conditions. If the certification wasn't made and the aircraft so equipped, the AFM would have a limitation prohibiting flight into "known icing". This is a certification regulation, not an operational one.

Aircraft certified prior to the deadline, did not have to be tested at all for the ability to fly in the ice, and the manufacturer was free to offer whatever options they wanted and to put in the AFM whatever they wanted. An example from my experience is a 1974 Piper Aztec which states in the AFM that the aircraft is approved for flight into light and moderate icing conditions when the deicing equipment was installed and working. But Piper had not, at that time, tested the Aztec to make sure it could fly in the ice. Everyone who has flown one in the north knows however that it can.

Older C-310's were not certified for "known ice" but like had something in the AFM that blessed it, and more importantly did not prohibit flight into known icing.

Kristin, Fearless, and R&W have it right.

The point about certification vs. operational is also correct. My old Aztec and now the 310 aren't FIKI, but both are/were de-iced.

Kristin;Older C-310's were not certified for "known ice" but like had something in the AFM that blessed it said:
I believe that there's an AD out on this that requires a placard prohibiting flight into known icing now.

I believe that there's an AD out on this that requires a placard prohibiting flight into known icing now.

All I've ever seen is "This aircraft is not certified for flight into known icing."

If a 310R is FIKI then it has to have the hot strip right?

I see a lot advertised as FIKI that don't have it, so I'm wondering.

Correct....and the hot plate needs to work. I noticed when I was looking at alot of Barons and 310s that many sellers either don't understand what FIKI is, or are trying to exaggerate the airplanes capabilities to get a sale.

Correct....and the hot plate needs to work. I noticed when I was looking at alot of Barons and 310s that many sellers either don't understand what FIKI is, or are trying to exaggerate the airplanes capabilities to get a sale.

Probably both.

When I was talking to TKS, IIRC they have a juice system that they can install instead of the hot plate that qualifies.

I have never heard of such an AD or seen an aircraft that was built before FIKI came into effect, that had such a placard.

I have deicing equipment installed on m Twin Comanche by STC and it has a placard that states that the aircraft is not certified for flight into known icing, however, that is not the same thing as saying that flight into known icing conditions is prohibited.

And hot plates can be wickedly expensive to replace or repair.

Unfortunately, the fluid based systems have also seriously escalated in price the last year or so. If I remember right, the TKS for Bonanza types went up something like 12-15k, and that was for the non-FIKI version.

Richman

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-06-03/pdf/2011-13766.pdf

I don't know if it when into effect or not.

I have never heard of such an AD or seen an aircraft that was built before FIKI came into effect, that had such a placard.

I have deicing equipment installed on m Twin Comanche by STC and it has a placard that states that the aircraft is not certified for flight into known icing, however, that is not the same thing as saying that flight into known icing conditions is prohibited.

Back