Cessna 210 hydraulic fluid capacity ? Pump data ?

TheFGFSEagle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TheFGFSEagle
Hi guys, I need to know how much hydraulic fluid normally is in the hydraulic system of a Cessna 210. Also, what power, RPM, etc. does the hydraulic pump have ? All I could find out from the POH and service manual are the pressures at which the pump is switched on and off … need this data for a FlightGear flight simulator model. Thank you very much in advance !

Last edited:
Obvious. So you can have the correct accumulator pressure dialed in.

Cycle time up - down.

You really should provide the model for questions like this.

Some are engine driven and others electro-hydraulic.

@Magman : oh yeah, sorry. The model in questions is a P210N, which has an electrically driven pump. The cycle time is stated as 6-8 seconds in the POH.
@Rgbeard : theoretically it doesn't, but I need to know the moment the hydraulic system can produce on the landing gear struts to be able to simulate the gear not fully extending if you fly too fast, or even at lower speeds when there isn't enough hyd fluid due to a leak.

I guess I'm just dumb.

My plane uses the famous boat pump like many others do, and there's nothing to do in the cockpit to influence operations past the gear-up/gear-down switch.

I can't imagine making it more complex than it needs to be.

The part number of the hydraulic pump seems to be 9881124-1, if that's of any help.

You may want to be aware that the Reservoir has a standpipe that conserves fluid for Hand Pump Emergency Extension use.

Yeah … the capactity of the whole reservoir seems to be 109 cu. in. … but I need the capacity of the complete system …

I believe the engine turns the accessory pad where the hydraulic pump is mounted at 1.5 : 1.

I need to know how much hydraulic fluid normally is in the hydraulic system of a Cessna 210.
Also, what power, RPM, etc. does the hydraulic pump have ?
I don't believe there is a set quantity of hydraulic fluid for the landing gear system. The system is serviced in such a manner that requires bleeding the air from the system then adjusting the fluid amount to the required level. Its not like x gallons of fuel or x quarts of oil. As to the pump, don't quite follow your question. However, the pump is designed to exceed any pressure or flow requirements of the landing system. If your intent is to create failure scenarios involving the hydraulic pump they would be very subjective to the specific failure mode. Regardless, if you want detailed answers perhaps contact Tennessee Aircraft Services as they are 210 experts.

I'm glad I don't need to know, as a real pilot of a real airplane, the RPM of the electric motor that drives my landing gear pump.

Not that I'd turn away the information, but it's unnecessary for me to know it.

The NY Airbrake pump on the 210 has very small flows (the piston is tiny), but it moves at 1.5x the engine speed and generates a lot (1100 lbs) of pressure.
It's an allowable pump on a Navion as well. We use it for the gear and flaps.

I'm glad I don't need to know, as a real pilot of a real airplane, the RPM of the electric motor that drives my landing gear pump.

Not that I'd turn away the information, but it's unnecessary for me to know it.
Man I'm glad its not just me. Sounds like a sim is more complicated than a real plane

@Rgbeard are you talking about Microsoft Flight Simulator ?
@Racerx well, not necessarily … it depends on how close to reality you want it to be. Of course, if you just make up some numbers, and say "the gearmoves only above x psi hyd pressure, below that it stays retracted / extended" and that independent of the speed, then it's easy … if you want it to behave like the real aircraft, things get more complicated ! ;)

@Rgbeard are you talking about Microsoft Flight Simulator ?
@Racerx well, not necessarily … it depends on how close to reality you want it to be. Of course, if you just make up some numbers, and say "the gearmoves only above x psi hyd pressure, below that it stays retracted / extended" and that independent of the speed, then it's easy … if you want it to behave like the real aircraft, things get more complicated ! ;)

Unless you’re dealing with a full motion sim then we’re no where close to behaving like the real aircraft.

Hi guys, I need to know how much hydraulic fluid normally is in the hydraulic system of a Cessna 210. Also, what power, RPM, etc. does the hydraulic pump have ? All I could find out from the POH are the pressures at which the pump is switched on and off … need this data for a FlightGear flight simulator model. Thank you very much in advance !
You’ll need to look for a parts manual and a service manual instead of the POH which is dumbed down to what pilots need to know, but you already know that from the responses above.

Yeah, I've looked in the service manual too, of course - I've edited my post to reflect this.

Man I'm glad its not just me. Sounds like a sim is more complicated than a real plane
What you wrote makes zero sense. If you were trying to DESIGN an aircraft whether in the real world, or the simulator, you'd find yourself wanting to know many of these things. Given that this gentleman is not attempting to fly a 210, but attempting to build the best simulation of a 210 he can, every detail matters.

Anyhow, as someone who knows quite a bit about Xplane, and about Cessna 210s, I appreciate the effort. Problem is, the 210 I have access to is much older than he is modeling, and isn't useful to helping answer his questions.

@jesse Thanks for your supporting words ! :) I DO think your older C210 could be quite useful ! In the meantime, I have managed to make a hydraulic system that at least behaves like the POH and service manual tell me … even if most of the numbers are just made up, so I guess it's not worth to bring the aircraft to a mechanic just to see how much fluid fits in there, and what the pump's RPM is, just to get "real" numbers. But I'd be so delighted to have a photo of the circuit breaker panel, and of the rudder pedal area … those are really rare on the net. ;) May I ask what model and year you got ?

Also, a night-time photo of the panel and interior with all lights turned all the way up would be great ! :)

Back