Cessna 205 Engine popped

When it initially let go, there was a good amount of smoke in the cockpit
When my engine puked all its oil out, I got some smoke too. That was by far the scariest part. You know you can glide and it's pretty survivable, but a fire in flight doesn't really have any good options.

I'm amazed by the damage. Looks like the crank was all that was holding the front half of the engine on. Good job getting her down, and getting luck on getting her back up.

Last edited:
Well done! What struck me about watching the video was the calm in the pilot's voice. Of course, I hope I never have to face such an emergency, but if it does, I sure hope I can maintain similar composure. Friends have asked what I was thinking when I first soloed, was I scared etc. I don't remember any anxiety or fear. Sure I was nervous, but I just performed what I had been training to do. We train for emergencies too, but, I expect it's a very different experience when it happens for real.

From posts I've read here, I've gotten into the habit of late of always having a off airport landing site in mind as I progress through a cross country as well as looking at the ground for clues as to what the wind is doing. I also have been periodically pressing the Garmin Pilot EMER button. I've realized flying direct at the 3-5K AGL I typically fly means 90% of the time I'm not w/ in gliding distance of an airport. I've contemplated flying higher or taking more meandering routes flying from airport to airport but so far have not changed my routine. The recent spat of engine issue/off airport landing posts here tells me I need to make a change.

So very impressed…looked like Bob Hoover now if u had made your parking spot

Hmmm……I might have been impressed if he had rolled right up in front of the FBO and said “fill ‘er up”. Maybe next time.

Well done! What struck me about watching the video was the calm in the pilot's voice. Of course, I hope I never have to face such an emergency, but if it does, I sure hope I can maintain similar composure. Friends have asked what I was thinking when I first soloed, was I scared etc. I don't remember any anxiety or fear. Sure I was nervous, but I just performed what I had been training to do. We train for emergencies too, but, I expect it's a very different experience when it happens for real.

From posts I've read here, I've gotten into the habit of late of always having a off airport landing site in mind as I progress through a cross country as well as looking at the ground for clues as to what the wind is doing. I also have been periodically pressing the Garmin Pilot EMER button. I've realized flying direct at the 3-5K AGL I typically fly means 90% of the time I'm not w/ in gliding distance of an airport. I've contemplated flying higher or taking more meandering routes flying from airport to airport but so far have not changed my routine. The recent spat of engine issue/off airport landing posts here tells me I need to make a change.

I have been doing this very thing lately. I'm in the midwest (flat terrain, airports are roughly 800-1200AGL), and I find myself flying more in the 6500-9500 range for anything over ~70 miles. I also change my route slightly to put my flight path over more airports. Some may call it overkill, but I won't be complaining when/if the day ever comes.

When I first saw the turn to final, I thought it was super low. Then I saw you float down 3000ish feet of runway, and realized you had a bit of stored energy. Nice one.

@Kevin Mayes maybe you already answered this but at what altitude did u lose the engine at?

I was in cruise at 9,000, had just climbed from 7,000 due to unfavorable winds. Interestingly, I had a debate with a friend the night before the flight on my routing. I departed IFR and could have cancelled and gone direct KMYV, because PDX routes all IFR traffic west of their airspace adding a few minutes to the trip. Had I gone direct I would have been over PDX which was overcast 1,000 at the time. Just 15 miles west was the giant hole of VFR that was forming over KHIO.

I have been doing this very thing lately. I'm in the midwest (flat terrain, airports are roughly 800-1200AGL), and I find myself flying more in the 6500-9500 range for anything over ~70 miles. I also change my route slightly to put my flight path over more airports. Some may call it overkill, but I won't be complaining when/if the day ever comes.
I’m a big fan of altitude.

I wonder if one of those bolted on counterweights let go?

The 205 is not the sleekest airplane around, but if you have all that altitude, you can bank a bunch of airspeed and trade it off once you are over the runway.

It's hard to tell from the video, but with all that speed, the shallow approach was a sure thing. Great job!

Excellent job sir. Welcome to POA.

Back