Cessna 205 Engine popped

Nice job for sure! There for a second or two, that base to final turn looked a little hairy…
Yeah, a bit more bank that I typically use, to be sure. But all's well ...

Hard to nit pick a successful landing but with 6.5k available I certainly wouldn't have been so far off airport base to final.

Hard to nit pick a successful landing but with 6.5k available I certainly wouldn't have been so far off airport base to final.
Yeah, I wasn't comfortable with how low he was on short final, but on the other hand, I have a tendency to come in too high on emergency landings, both real and simulated.

Looks like he was carrying lots of speed into that turn. Nice job also lucky he wasn't doing it with a windshield full of oil.

Apparently it got 2 cylinders about 10 hours earlier.

This was me... I also hold a glider rating and with 6,600 feet of runway, I came in with a lot of energy to then bleed off over the runway rather than trying to cut it in tight and high and get down. Lost a friend in the base to final turn in an engine out and wasn't about to risk that. 110mph is really cooking in the plane and I floated at least 1,500 in ground effect. Had it been a smaller field I would have elected for flaps and a steeper approach. Glad it all worked out and ATC was a huge help in getting me info without bombarding me.

This was me... I also hold a glider rating and with 6,600 feet of runway, I came in with a lot of energy to then bleed off over the runway rather than trying to cut it in tight and high and get down. Lost a friend in the base to final turn in an engine out and wasn't about to risk that. 110mph is really cooking in the plane and I floated at least 1,500 in ground effect. Had it been a smaller field I would have elected for flaps and a steeper approach. Glad it all worked out and ATC was a huge help in getting me info without bombarding me.

Great Job and welcome to POA. What a first-post!!

Don't let nit-picking bother you. You did an OUTSTANDING job from start to finish, and kept your cool the whole time. Very impressive!

Are you sure that was just a pop? Looked like a bomb went off inside your cowling. I'd call that an explosion. And the fire gods gave you a pass on this one. You must be living right.

Awesome job! Sucks about the engine, but you walked away, so who gives a f**k?

That glider rating paid for itself. I was unfortunate and didn’t get to use mine, I was too low to make the runway. :(

Last edited:
Are you sure that was just a pop? Looked like a bomb went off inside your cowling. I'd call that an explosion. And the fire gods gave you a pass on this one. You must be living right.

Yeah he mentioned the engine blew up and there was smoke in the cockpit. I didn’t see any smoke at all and I was expecting to see a lot.

Yeah he mentioned the engine blew up and there was smoke in the cockpit. I didn’t see any smoke at all and I was expecting to see a lot.
I was thinking the same and the video didn’t start till after the failure. I was guessing he didn’t have the camera on and started it after getting the plane under control?

I'm sure the smoke smell was fresh engine oil on a quickly cooling exhaust manifold.

Nice job, Kev. Very professional.

P.S. did you turn the camera on after the engine cr@pped out? Do you normally film your flights or did you turn the camera on for the event so that it could be reviewed later?

Well done, fine landing.

Smoke in the cockpit can be just a smell, not visible. That report to the tower gives them the proper information to relay to the emergency responders.

Good energy management in the final minutes of flight. Low and fast is just as good as high and slow. Long runways are very forgiving for such landings.

..Smoke in the cockpit can be just a smell, not visible. That report to the tower gives them the proper information to relay to the emergency responders...

disagree. a 'smell' won't prevent you from seeing outside or breathing.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying what was happening.

Do you have any word yet on what let go in the engine?

From the video, it looks like the back 1/3d of the case let go. As in came from together is one magnificent and spectacular departure from reality.

Honestly, I’m not sure the the part that let go was even attached to the engine mounts once it was all done. Truly, one of the more impressive catastrophic failures I’ve seen.

Fully agree with some other posts, some excellent piloting and decision making there. Obviously there was some time spent practicing to be prepared for the one time in your life something like that might happen.
I am sure there are probably a few things you think you might have done better. But I think all of us would be hard pressed to honestly say we might have done better.

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I'm sure the smoke smell was fresh engine oil on a quickly cooling exhaust manifold.

Nice job, Kev. Very professional.

P.S. did you turn the camera on after the engine cr@pped out? Do you normally film your flights or did you turn the camera on for the event so that it could be reviewed later?

When it initially let go, there was a good amount of smoke in the cockpit. I reached for the window to pop it open but when I opened the vents it cleared quickly. The video starts somewhere around 1:20 after the initial signs of trouble. The is actually no time trimmed from the original report to ATC to landing.

I haven't had a GoPro in the plane with me in a few years, but the start of the flight had me departing single pilot into IMC and I wanted to record to review after the flight. After the plane was stabilized, I reached up and quickly tapped the record button, capturing the rest of the flight.

100% AGREE

You did perfect Kevin. During your glide, what was that you were doing? Foreflight on phone?

I actually considered calling my wife briefly, since it was connected to my headset via Bluetooth. We've had great debate about whether that would have been wise or not. I had Garmin Pilot on my phone which is easier to see than the iPad mini attached to the panel in a pinch.

Back