Cessna 182P Cabin Placard - Day VFR?

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
Hello,
I have a Cessna 182P and have been flying it day, night, VFR and IFR. While flying around recently, I gazed upon a placard and thought, "Hmmm. That doesn't look right." I have been looking through the TCDS, the original 8130 application for Airworthiness Cert from 1972, and elsewhere. I can't find that this airplane is allowed to fly at night or IMC. Anyone able to point out where I would find this info? The plane is equipped with all the goodies and is certainly night and IFR capable.
Attached is a photo of the placard in question.

Attachments

• Cabin Placard VFR Day.jpg
    Cabin Placard VFR Day.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 97
Hello,
I have a Cessna 182P and have been flying it day, night, VFR and IFR. While flying around recently, I gazed upon a placard and thought, "Hmmm. That doesn't look right." I have been looking through the TCDS, the original 8130 application for Airworthiness Cert from 1972, and elsewhere. I can't find that this airplane is allowed to fly at night or IMC. Anyone able to point out where I would find this info? The plane is equipped with all the goodies and is certainly night and IFR capable.
Attached is a photo of the placard in question.
'As of date of original airworthiness certificate' is the key phrase here. Some of the stuff needed to be night/IFR compliant will be on the TCDS. Other stuff added later will/should be in the Logbooks.

'As of date of original airworthiness certificate' is the key phrase here. Some of the stuff needed to be night/IFR compliant will be on the TCDS. Other stuff added later will/should be in the Logbooks.

Thanks for the speedy response. I think my question remains though. The TCDS (No. 3A13) does not make any reference to IFR operations or equipment requirements. My thought is, with the placard in the plane now, it cannot legally be flown at night or under IFR. So, how can that placard be changed and by whom. Or, did someone slip a wrong placard in the little holder sometime in the past?

CAR 3 aircraft didn't need to explicitly be stated to be IFR or not. All you had to do is make sure you are equipped according to the regs (currently 91.205).

Thanks for the speedy response. I think my question remains though. The TCDS (No. 3A13) does not make any reference to IFR operations or equipment requirements. My thought is, with the placard in the plane now, it cannot legally be flown at night or under IFR. So, how can that placard be changed and by whom. Or, did someone slip a wrong placard in the little holder sometime in the past?
The placard says 'as of date of original airworthiness certificate.' That does not mean you cannot legally add instruments to update to IFR compatibility. No need to remove Placard. And it would probably be illegal to remove it. There's other important stuff there. Like the MAXIMUMS.

Could always order a new placard, P/N 1205001-121, which is the same placard you have, just with day-night-vfr-ifr on it. The placard would have been picked at the factory based on how the aircraft was ordered/equipped. If you have the original equipment list and W&B & Installed Equipment Data you'll be able to see how it was ordered. Here is the part of the equipment list for my T210L showing the placards, the -R is required, the -O is optional replacing required.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 13.07.26.png

Anyone able to point out where I would find this info?
In general, aircraft "kinds of operation" are certified at the model level then limited by installed equipment. Some aircraft left the factory with basic equipment, i.e., DAY-VFR. The TCDS calls out the placard below for your S/N which includes a note "as applicable." So while your model/S/N is "certified" for DAY-NIGHT-WFR-IFR your aircraft probably wasn't equipped with the necessary equipment "as of date of original airworthiness certificate." Whoever installed the additional equipment after this date should have replaced that placard with the appropriate one. Maybe dig in your records to see when that was done. Regardless, as noted above if you have the 91.205 equipment you're good to go. Just need to replace your placard with the appropriate one. CAR 3 gets into more details but the current CAR database is a mess, however, it basically states the same as Part 23.1525 where the type ops is tied to the installed equipment as shown below as well.

upload_2023-3-8_14-58-5.png

upload_2023-3-8_14-58-31.png

Last edited:
Thank you all! With your guidance, I dug around the aircraft documents and feel comfortable that the placard should have been replaced back a couple months after the plane left Wichita. The next W&B change reflects the installation of two nav-comms, comm antenna, sensitive altimeter, CDI, Glideslope, and a host of other "modern" technology to meet the requirements of 91.205. It does not say anything about changing the placard though in the aircraft logbook.

Its funny how much I have learned recently while getting ready for a checkride. I found a few other placard type items on the plane which were either missing or downright incorrect.

Again, I appreciate the collective wisdom here from all of you! As the saying goes, none of us can be as dumb as all of us. ;)

Its funny how much I have learned recently while getting ready for a checkride. I found a few other placard type items on the plane which were either missing or downright incorrect.
Very common to find missing placards. They get torn or pulled off or removed for painting or interior and never get replaced. The TCDS has an extensive list of placards for your model. The restart Cessnas have the placard list in the AFM. It's getting so that there's not enough room in the airplane for all the placards.

There are also ADs that demand placards, such as the fuel bladder AD that applies to these airplanes. I seldom found that one installed.

Back