Cessna 182 window question.

Gary Ward

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
What is the deal with the co pilot side window opening?
It looks to me that the P models didn't open but the Q models do?
Was that optional on earlier models or not available until the Q? TIA

It opens in my A model - can't speak to anything newer ...

1970N, non opening window.

Was that optional on earlier models or not available until the Q? TIA
For some model lines it was a standard feature. With others an option. However, if your question is can you upgrade you have several different options to include a DIY version.

Mine is a 1958 B model. Both windows opening was a must for me since I needed a photo plane I could shoot out of on both sides.
51804212753_a41021c639_c.jpg

For some model lines it was a standard feature. With others an option. However, if your question is can you upgrade you have several different options to include a DIY version.
Thanks guys,
I would be interested in options as I didn't think it would be feasible to change it after you bought it?

It seems that most 182s I look at does not have the right side opening window until you get to the Qs and on up?

I would be interested in options as I didn't think it would be feasible to change it after you bought it?
There are one or two STCs that give a righthand open window.
I don't believe there is a Cessna bulletin to upgrade the RH door window as I believe it was a production line option. But, in general, most Cessna door structures are similar by model so you could look for R/H salvage parts/doors with an opening window and retro your existing door. However, not all mechanics prefer this route as it can take some time and effort to find the right donor parts to make it work. But its definitely an option.

https://ellis-assoc.com/kg-2 I ran across this a while back. Not sure how it works exactly.
I have a 1968 182L and the co-pilot door does not have an opening window. I recall doing some research back when I acquired the plane and, like AlphaMike posted, one route involved getting a donor door from salvage and then using that to create a right-hand door with an opening window. I thought about that for a while, but have found (5 years later on) that having just the pilot window able to open seems to be enough (when needed) about 95% of the time. I also had one flight where the pilot window latch broke and my window popped open on a warm day; I just throttled back a little (even though the POH says the window can be open below 160 mph) and enjoyed the extra fresh air on my ride home.

I thought about that for a while, but have found (5 years later on) that having just the pilot window able to open seems to be enough
I cam to the same conclusion as you. When I first got the plane 4 years ago, I thought I would add the right window but as I flew the plane, I quickly realized the window wasn’t necessary. On hot days I just leave the right door open during taxi, if I have passengers.

Mine is a 1958 B model. Both windows opening was a must for me since I needed a photo plane I could shoot out of on both sides.
51804212753_a41021c639_c.jpg

Or you could just tie the door open against the strut ... oh wait! :fingerwag:

BTW, that's great looking plane!

Or you could just tie the door open against the strut ... oh wait! :fingerwag:

BTW, that's great looking plane!
LOL, seems like that didn't work for someone!

Thanks, I sure love it! Good for photos and trips to Oshkosh!

I cam to the same conclusion as you. When I first got the plane 4 years ago, I thought I would add the right window but as I flew the plane, I quickly realized the window wasn’t necessary. On hot days I just leave the right door open during taxi, if I have passengers.
It was my understanding the Q was the first to have it as standard equipment and was the main reason I opted for a 79. It made all the difference for the passenger while taxiing at southern Arizona airports in the good old summer time.

Back