Cessna 182 tight dogleg gravel bar.

I cane get enough of watching vids like this. The balls on these pilots!!!
Our club plane is a 182 that’s been grounded for nosegear/shimmy damper/who knows issues. Maybe the gear needs more of theses and less asphalt landings

I felt nose shimmy for the first time on a landing yesterday at a paved airport, then went to a backcountry strip and nothing (you dont feel shimmy in the grass or gravel), then landed again at the paved airstrip and no shimmy.
Wonder what caused the shimmy on the first landing.

That tight left turn after take-off made me a little nervous

How come we never see the video where they run off into the water, or can't turn the plane around, or snap a wheel or a wing off?
And who pays for the heavy lift chopper to come in and haul them out when they screw up?

I wonder if I could get in and out with the J3-85? hmmmmmm.

Silly me, I thought the landing area would have a dogleg in it. My favorite landing strips are curved.

Still fun to watch.

Skilled piloting for certain, but I’m wondering??...
If there was an accident, how many of the folks here would be saying “he was doing stupid shet?”

Who is this “they”?

You guys know that @motoadve is the pilot and that’s his airplane, right? :)

I know that, and you know that, and motoadve knows that... but some of these other guys? Not sure what they know. ;)

Cool video. It's funny watching @motoadve 's videos, because I always feel 100% certain of the outcome (or else it probably wouldn't be posted, right?) and I never blink when the stall horn starts sqwaking. When I fly, the only time I hear the stall horn and feel that good about it is right before my mains touch the runway. Even practicing stalls and slow flight keeps me a little on the "you've got my attention, stall horn!" side of things, because there's always the potential for surprise in those conditions. Motoadve seems to spend lots of time with the horn chirping, and he knows that airplane very well, and flies it very well. It's great to see vids of someone who loves flying their airplane in a manner that pleases them. Especially if there's off-airport parking. ;)

How does one safely fly low like this? I have some unpopulated area near me where I'd like to meander down a river for fun, but I'm always concerned some sort of power lines or something I can't see is going to kill me.

How does one safely fly low like this? I have some unpopulated area near me where I'd like to meander down a river for fun, but I'm always concerned some sort of power lines or something I can't see is going to kill me.
Lower your definition of "safe".

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with this kind of flight when nobody else is in danger, and I like a thrill as well as the next guy, heck, I used to road race motorcycles, which is a lot more risky than this, but a lot of things can go wrong.

Get your buddy to go first. If he crashes you both missed seeing the power lines. :)

Kidding of course, but it’s mostly about proper planning and doing it in the middle of nowhere. FAA isn’t too keen on it if there’s any population around but you’re certainly allowed to be that low “for purposes of takeoff or landing” by the letter of the regs.

Doing it just to be low is likely to garner a violation if they know about it.

Fly where you want to go at 500 ft 1st to make sure there aren't any gotchas then go have fun.

This is the type of flying I'd love to do one day. I'd really like to take a bush flying course...there was a great course at Pleasant Valley, but he has since moved to Kidwell, which is a lot further away :(

This is the type of flying I'd love to do one day. I'd really like to take a bush flying course...there was a great course at Pleasant Valley, but he has since moved to Kidwell, which is a lot further away :(

McCall, ID. Just do it right the first time. :)

Looked like fun, but if he really had balls he would've gone under the bridge...:D
Agreed, looked like some fun and good flying, nothing more, nothing less.
And agreed, the bridge would have been a great cherry on top. :) But I realize that then every single dumbazz on YT would start calling the FAA and crying about a "crazy" pilot and "reckless endangerment" and all that soccer-mom stuff.
So best rule is: if you can fly better than most dumbazzes can comprehend, don't post it on YT. :)

I felt nose shimmy for the first time on a landing yesterday at a paved airport, then went to a backcountry strip and nothing (you dont feel shimmy in the grass or gravel), then landed again at the paved airstrip and no shimmy.
Wonder what caused the shimmy on the first landing.

Take a good look at your tire, both for condition and inflation. The shimmy dampener may need some attention too. We have this problem with the CAP planes occasionally. One landing it's fine, the next one shimmies. Landing too flat can exacerbate it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I fly, the only time I hear the stall horn and feel that good about it is right before my mains touch the runway. Even practicing stalls and slow flight keeps me a little on the "you've got my attention, stall horn!" side of things, because there's always the potential for surprise in those conditions.

Keep in mind that he flies with an AOA indicator, which gives a much more accurate picture of the margin above stall than a stall horn. For max lift operations (like short take offs and landings), you're leaving a lot of performance on the table if the stall horn isn't going off.

Keep in mind that he flies with an AOA indicator, which gives a much more accurate picture of the margin above stall than a stall horn. For max lift operations (like short take offs and landings), you're leaving a lot of performance on the table if the stall horn isn't going off.

And vortex generators (and maybe other STOL devices) so the stall horn may not even be calibrated to actual aircraft performance.

I flew a C-206 that had an AOA in it. I did several off airport landings with it. All the gauge did was tell me I was doing it right already.

Still a student...before starting to learn I would have just said "cool" to this, at the moment I'm like "WTF? How is this possible and safe?"

I have a long way to go, I see that.

How come we never see the video where they run off into the water, or can't turn the plane around, or snap a wheel or a wing off?
And who pays for the heavy lift chopper to come in and haul them out when they screw up?

I wonder if I could get in and out with the J3-85? hmmmmmm.

I'd feel better in a J3 doing that than a 182.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
I have no major kvetch about (most) Cessnas. But I just don't trust them enough for that kind of stuff. Too fragile.

Some are a little tuffer than others ;)

Funny, I was thinking I would feel better doing that in a C-206 than a 182...:lol::lol:
You sure a 207 wouldn’t be better. With them feathers nearly touching it’s practically a performance mod with them wings angled to fly :D

You sure a 207 wouldn’t be better. With them feathers nearly touching it’s practically a performance mod with them wings angled to fly :D

Sleds carry more, plus that cushion in front helps a little in case of a sudden meeting with the ground, but I still prefer a 206. I have gotten away done some amazing off airport work with a 206.....:lol::lol::lol:

Back