Cessna 182 prop arm?

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hey guys, my prop is getting tired on my 182F which already has a heavy nose due to the small elevator. I'm considering going with an MT prop for performance and improved CG, but I'm having a hard time figuring out precisely what affect it will have on CG. I know how much lighter it is, so if I have the arm I could figure it out.

Thanks!

Hey guys, my prop is getting tired on my 182F which already has a heavy nose due to the small elevator. I'm considering going with an MT prop for performance and improved CG, but I'm having a hard time figuring out precisely what affect it will have on CG. I know how much lighter it is, so if I have the arm I could figure it out.

Thanks!

The prop arm on my 182P is listed as -40.00

It has an AirPlains IO-520 so it may be slightly different, but it's probably pretty close. The cowling wasn't modified with the new engine, but I think the mounts were. I believe just heavier/stronger but the engine appears to be in the same position.

if I have the arm I could figure it out.
You can measure it yourself. Per the TCDS for the 182F the datum is the forward face of the engine firewall. Any measurements forward will be negative (-) and measurements aft will be positive (+).

You can measure it yourself. Per the TCDS for the 182F the datum is the forward face of the engine firewall. .

At the bottom edge, it slants up and back.

And here I thought the correct arm for a 182 prop was "long and strong."

I don't know precisely what the weight savings would be with the MT prop, I've seen reports of 20-30 pounds (I would be going from the stock 2 blade to a 2 blade MT). At those weights the prop actually has a pretty significant impact on CG (.8 - 1.3" respectively in my case).

Back