Cessna 182 lost front steering.

Anthem

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Anthem
Had a large crosswind. Crabbed in for landing. Landing seemed normal with cross wind correction as we landed. Maybe nosewheel jolted a little since we had large right rudder on landing.

Anyhow, after landing - nosewheel steering was absent, so we tied it down. Some mechanics going to look at it tomorrow morning. Rudder and brakes still work just no steering. Wondering what the possible problems and solutions are. Thanks for any insight..

Is the nose strut overinflated? If it is highly extended, it has a self-centering mechanism so it doesn't cause extra drag from begin sideways in flight.

dont know. Didnt remove the cowling to troubleshoot as it was getting a little late.

Rudder pedals work. Rudder still works. Brakes both sides work. I think I still have some steering on the left. Nothing with full right rudder while on the ground taxiing. perhaps a right rudder strut damaged or the steering column attachment to the strut damaged ? If its nose strut overinflated, is the damage permanent and you need a new strut or it just needs to be put back with proper inflation ?

Sounds like the bungee assembly might be disconnected. See #6 on the images below…

Attachments

• 4CEAD7D6-29A6-49F2-9B1A-9403B79886F0.png
    4CEAD7D6-29A6-49F2-9B1A-9403B79886F0.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 44
  • AF55D105-B532-4B96-9EB4-AE3F078D28B6.png
    AF55D105-B532-4B96-9EB4-AE3F078D28B6.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 42
If its nose strut overinflated, is the damage permanent and you need a new strut or it just needs to be put back with proper inflation ?

You should have about 3.5 to 4 fingers high of chrome strut showing. Just put your hand out like you about shake someone's hand, and hold the 4 fingers up for comparison. If you're at least 3 and best 4 fingers you're good.

The problem seems likely the bungee as @Brad Z mentioned and based on the symptoms. These do fail with age. Fortunately McFarlane just introduced PMA replacements which are improved and much less expensive than Cessna.

If you are replacing the bungee, have a hard look at part #6 in the second pic above. This is the boot which protects the bungee. Make sure it's intact, and don't be surprised if it breaks when removing if the bungee needs replacing. Good to replace this as well given the labor is near free when bungee is replaced. The McFarlane replacement boot is near indestructible.

Last edited:
well lets hope its not the bungee. will know tomorrow morning is my guess. I would totally get the macfarlane unit, but its out of stock until July 1st is what it says. . so that option doesnt look like a viable option unless I want to be stranded until July. . . .great. . .

Last edited:
haha funny. Dont believe the 182 has main gear steering. . . .

Update - they believe its the bungee. Left rudder/wheel turn works fine. Just going right, the right pedal will fully deflect and not steer the wheel to the right. Someone mentioned that the bungee could be stuck on one side of travel, which appears to be the case. With the lower cowling off, nothing looks damaged or not attached. However when taxiing, you will lose right rudder which isnt a good situation. If you roll the rudder trim all the way to the left, you will get it back for awhile before turning right and then it not deflecting. . and even then, with rudder trim set to the left, sometimes the rudder wont move that way either. apparently the rudder trim is actually attached to the bungee and not the rigging to the rudder, so that explains the rudder trim not necessarily moving the rudder.. . learning more and more about it every day. . . lol

haha funny. Dont believe the 182 has main gear steering. . . .

Update - they believe its the bungee. Left rudder/wheel turn works fine. Just going right, the right pedal will fully deflect and not steer the wheel to the right. Someone mentioned that the bungee could be stuck on one side of travel, which appears to be the case. With the lower cowling off, nothing looks damaged or not attached. However when taxiing, you will lose right rudder which isnt a good situation. If you roll the rudder trim all the way to the left, you will get it back for awhile before turning right and then it not deflecting. . and even then, with rudder trim set to the left, sometimes the rudder wont move that way either. apparently the rudder trim is actually attached to the bungee and not the rigging to the rudder, so that explains the rudder trim not necessarily moving the rudder.. . learning more and more about it every day. . . lol

Thankfully we have differential braking as a back-up when nose wheel steering fails (I.e main gear steering).

I'm sure you could find a serviceable replacement from someone like Wentworth if push came to shove.

true. . we've kept it grounded until we resolve it. Mainly because the one place we absolutely have to have right rudder is on takeoff. . otherwise we'll slide/skid off to the left. Taxiing obviously works with differential braking, but dont think we want to be using right brake on take off. . . .

McFarlane has the replacement PMA, but they and all their distributors are out at least until July. Didnt check Wentworth, but all the places that listed on ebay, BAS, arizona air salvage, texas salvage and a couple places in Florida - apparently there was a run on them and no one updated their inventory. So we might have to just fork over double to Textron for their new unit if we want to be up and operational in the next week. . Fun. . .

true. . we've kept it grounded until we resolve it. Mainly because the one place we absolutely have to have right rudder is on takeoff. . otherwise we'll slide/skid off to the left. Taxiing obviously works with differential braking, but dont think we want to be using right brake on take off. . . .

McFarlane has the replacement PMA, but they and all their distributors are out at least until July. Didnt check Wentworth, but all the places that listed on ebay, BAS, arizona air salvage, texas salvage and a couple places in Florida - apparently there was a run on them and no one updated their inventory. So we might have to just fork over double to Textron for their new unit if we want to be up and operational in the next week. . Fun. . .
No you definitely don't want to fly it in its present condition (it's not airworthy). I've never lost nose wheel steering but we did once have a situation in which we lost hydraulic pressure in one of the brake lines. Rolling out wasn't an issue but we had to make 270 degree turns to exit the runway, lol. Good luck on the parts...

I've never lost nose wheel steering but we did once have a situation in which we lost hydraulic pressure in one of the brake lines. Rolling out wasn't an issue but we had to make 270 degree turns to exit the runway, lol. Good luck on the parts...

oh wow, that would be hilarious. . . and on a live runway with a 270 degree turn. . hopefully not every turn required a 270 degree pirouette. . . but that made me laugh. .. thank you for that. . ..

New parts won’t help if they are not the issue.

Suggest disconnecting lower end of bungees and see if Rudder etc is normal.

Year of airplane?

Some earlier ones had a little different system with Rudder Trim.

Back