Cessna 182 Exhaust Clamps

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
My mechanic will be replacing the four exhaust system clamps in my 1967 Cessna 182. I'm sure he knows this, but for my own information, can anyone tell me if there's a proper torque setting for tightening the bolts and, if so, what that setting is? I looked in the Cessna service manual, and it seems to be silent on whether a specific torque setting is used when tightening those clamps.

Thanks!

IIIRC You have 6 clamps that have 2 pieces each that connect Stacks to
the Collector. Also 2 Clamps of 2 pieces each that connect the Collector
to the Muffler. I believe all bolts are AN3 ( 3/16 in).
Note the Collector Clamps have pins that are often worn out.
You may want to check.

IIIRC You have 6 clamps that have 2 pieces each that connect Stacks to
the Collector. Also 2 Clamps of 2 pieces each that connect the Collector
to the Muffler. I believe all bolts are AN3 ( 3/16 in).
Note the Collector Clamps have pins that are often worn out.
You may want to check.
There are four clamps. There's a riser on each side that gets clamped to a collector, and a clamp on each side of the muffler where it connects to the collector, for a total of four. I have new clamps and hardware sourced from Aerospace Welding. I'm just curious about whether there's a torque setting when tightening them.

exhaust system components.png

I looked in the Cessna service manual, and it seems to be silent on whether a specific torque setting is used when tightening those clamps.
In general, if there is not a specified torque value listed in the mx procedure, the normal course is to apply standard torque to the fasteners. Some Cessna MX manual have a chart in the 1st chapter that lists those torque values but if not there are other references.

In general, if there is not a specified torque value listed in the mx procedure, the normal course is to apply standard torque to the fasteners. Some Cessna MX manual have a chart in the 1st chapter that lists those torque values but if not there are other references.
I found the torque values chart in section 1 of the manual. Thank you!

Now all I need to do is figure out the size of the hardware to determine torque values.

Got my answer. 20-25 pound-inches. Run the engine through a couple of heat cycles, and re-check.

Thanks everyone!

Magman is thinking of the earlier 182s that did have clamps on all six risers. It's a problem area as leakage at the junctions is common. It's tempting to over-tighten the bolts to reduce leaks but that just results in a cracked clamp ($$$). The stacks distort over time with heat cycles and getting them to fit up well can be a major PITA. Knisley has a PMA'd replacement that uses slip joints instead of clamps. Not cheap, but it will save you a lot of time and swear words.

C.

Back