Cessna 177 Cardinal RG Crashes into Perimeter Fence on Final Approach

Agree. I didn't call them until 4 or 5 days later. And yes, they had been eagerly awaiting my call.
That was my point. Don't say anything on the scene. When making the report have an attorney review it or at least an experienced pilot or CFI. He had no reason to say he was getting ready to install an AOA. Just the facts, ma'am.

He was behind the power curve and didn’t know it. Adding some power ain’t gonna stop the drop when you’re dragging it in like that.
But beyond that, if you're properly taught about Visual flying, and reference points on a glide path, there's no reason not to see you aren't going to make the end of the runway. Still no excuse.

Was a Cardinal was ever made without shoulder straps?
The shoulder straps were optional in the first year of Cardinal production, model year 1968. The mounting points are there in all Cardinals.

Shoulder straps were included in all other years, and an inertia reel for the shoulder straps was a factory option.

Many of us have retrofitted BAS four-point harnesses, that attach to the spar carry through.

Paul

Loose lips sink ships, is an old but true saying.

But he certainly lacks even the most rudimentary of skills.
Maybe selling donuts is a better pass time for him.

Loose lips sink ships, is an old but true saying.

But he certainly lacks even the most rudimentary of skills.
Maybe selling donuts is a better pass time for him.
Or maybe replacing old fences….

I disagree with that. It depends on the field & the airplane. There is no "one size fits all" for *REAL* short approaches. You do what will work best for the short field you're trying to get into.

You can fly a high approach for a short field in a Mooney 201J flaps up when the aim point has been properly selected.

I remember reading something a while back that after a traumatic event your recall is poor. It may be days later before you can piece together the details.

Davis (W50) where this happened is actually growing and they are putting in a bunch of new hangars but I don't think a longer runway is in the cards. You'll get 2K and like it!
Just bitter cuz my home drome is for sale and I doubt it stays an airport after the sale.

I disagree with that. It depends on the field & the airplane. There is no "one size fits all" for *REAL* short approaches. You do what will work best for the short field you're trying to get into.
Exactly. Obstacles or no obstacles is one example of the variables.

Back