Cessna 172 underwing hardpoints

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
So probably a long shot if anyone knows anything about this, but the 172m I flew recently had 2 underwing hardpoints anybody know what they would be used for? From what I can tell the aircraft was owned by the university of florida
Year Mfr 1974
Aircraft Category Land Builder Certification Type Certificated
Number Engines 1 Number Seats 4
Aircraft Weight CLASS 1 Aircraft Cruising Speed 108
Airworthiness Classification Multiple Approved Operation Codes (Standard, Restricted) Aerial Surveying

Last Action Date 1998-03-18
Registrant Name UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA Street 231 AERO BUILDING
Registrant City GAINESVILLE Registrant State FL
Registrant Zip Code Country UNITED STATES
Region Southern Registrant Type Government
Fract Owner Certificate Issue Date 1975-02-12
Status The Triennial Aircraft Registration form was mailed and has not been returned by the Post Office

***** No Deregistered Data Found *****

***** No Reserved Data Found *****

***** No FAA Accidents/Incidents Found *****

***** No NTBS Accidents Found *****

***** No NTBS Pre 1982 Accidents Found *****

***** No SDR's Found *****
starting in 1998 and nothing before that. The current owner bought it in 2007ish and the plane only had something like 1k hours TTAF and hadn't flown in a long time. Owner said they removed a release switch from interior when they put a new engine/paint on it.

20161004_153806.jpg

Just curious if anyone ever heard of a 172 with hardpoints (maybe its common) but googlefu has failed me.

wondering about animal tracking antennae (there was a guy here for years who had some attached to...his struts I think. Mexico to Alaska tracking mammals, birds.
How about cameras

Cameras or some sort of sensor package make the most sense but why would have a release button?

Some kind of supply drop for remote peoples?

I forgot to mention he said it was owned by NASA before it sat . idk what they would be doing that world require hardpoints with release though. Whoever used it didn't use it much 1k hours over 30 years is nothing.

I forgot to mention he said it was owned by NASA before it sat...
NDH? ;)
nas4.jpg

Nauga,
with an abrupt stop

NASA does all sorts of experiments that involve dropping stuff so that makes sense but doesn't narrow it down.

The tracking antennas go on the struts.

That's about all I got.

We put our USFS antennas on inspection plates on the bottom side of the wings, but they looked like ELT antennas. When the forest fire danger was over we'd put regular inspection planes on & leave the wires in the wings.

Has the plane ever been repainted? If not, that connector and its attaching hardware looks factory installed prior to paint. Maybe flip through the airplane paperwork and order the CD from the FAA to see what it says?

"Cessna 123, looks like that traffic called earlier to you cut the corner and is ahead of you, 1 o'clock and a mile. You'll be number two for landing."

"Fox Two."

When my son was preparing to go to Af-stan his unit had a "drone" to practice with. It was actually a 172 with a camera pod and they would move their controls which another Marine would see and radio the pilot to make the change. I think a 172 with camera pod was much cheaper than an actual drone for practice.

Back