Cessna 172: open pilot warranty question … “make and model”?

alanbreck

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlanB
Anyone know how insurance underwriters view “make and model” when it comes to Cessna 172s?

For example, if I have a 172N, and the open pilot clause in my insurance policy provides coverage for pilots who meet this stipulation:
- “25 hours shall have been in this make and model aircraft”

… Does “any” C172 time count as make/model? Or does only C172N time count as make and model.

I tend to think any C172 time would count. But I have a slightly different experience which went the other way …

… I was being added as a named insured to a buddy’s PA-32-260. I didn’t have any hours in that particular variant, but had ~25 hrs in a PA-32-300R. But the insurance underwriter stipulated that none of those hours counted as make/model towards the PA-32-260.

It’s make AND model, the model being “N”. They will want N time. It’s dumb, but that’s the way they do it.

Anyone know how insurance underwriters view “make and model” when it comes to Cessna 172s?

For example, if I have a 172N, and the open pilot clause in my insurance policy provides coverage for pilots who meet this stipulation:

… Does “any” C172 time count as make/model? Or does only C172N time count as make and model.

I tend to think any C172 time would count. But I have a slightly different experience which went the other way …

… I was being added as a named insured to a buddy’s PA-32-260. I didn’t have any hours in that particular variant, but had ~25 hrs in a PA-32-300R. But the insurance underwriter stipulated that none of those hours counted as make/model towards the PA-32-260.

I don't have a Cessna but my insurance wanted the exact make/model, much to my annoyance.
My experience in nearly identical models didn't count for anything. I tried to get them to bend but they wouldn't.

My insurance company:
DkQbMuaUYAAL6qH.jpg

You have to ask your broker or insurance company.

Different insurance companies have different definitions of Make and Model.

Several discussions on BT, that have a wide range of answers from various insurance companies.

They all one seventy twos, brotaterchips.
It would be interesting to see someone who has only flown C172A's try to fly a R172K. Bonus if the latter has the 210hp STC.

I have 224 hrs and 422 landings in C172 type across L, M, N, R, and SP models and I have yet to discover any real meaningful difference. Also to my amusement, my club is interested in me delivering their M model back from paint and it's a big discussion if I'm able because I have 0 time on THEIR planes :rolleyes:

@kaiser The M model is one of the best. The yoke control is light and balanced. Engine has plenty if power.

I see a windshield, two yokes, four pedals, a flap mechanism, trim wheel, throttle, and mixture control. This ain’t rocket surgery. A quick checkout flight for the nuances, then Bob’s your uncle.

@kaiser The M model is one of the best. The yoke control is light and balanced. Engine has plenty if power.
I agree - although the L model I flew was nearly flawlessly maintained so it has a special place in my heart.

@kaiserI see a windshield, two yokes, four pedals, a flap mechanism, trim wheel, throttle, and mixture control. This ain’t rocket surgery. A quick checkout flight for the nuances, then Bob’s your uncle.
This

But by all means, if you feel led to list out individual hours for each 172 variant on your Envoy application…full send it brocephus!

But you could also have two 172N's, one bone-stock, the other STC'd to a full glass panel, no vacuum system, 180hp STC, Sportman STOL kit...
From 160hp to 180hp is a much smaller jump than carbureted 145hp fixed pitch prop to 210hp fuel injected constant speed prop.

Side-stepping the which-skyhawk-is-best :D, I have always interpreted make to be "Cessna" and model to be "172"; But as mentioned, not all underwriters see it this way. It gets worse as you get up into high-performance singles and twins.

It's getting ridiculous to the point where I'll just help my broker out by grouping my times like:

"All Bonanza" (33, 35, 36)
"Specific Bonanza" with 33, 35, and 36 teased out separately
"Specific Bonanza Subtype" where I tediously list out 33, A33, B33, C33, C33A, E33, E33A, E33C... sigh... etc. There are dozens of these just within the Bonanza/Baron family line.

Then it gets insane because now some insurers want time in last 90 days, last 12 months, night, IMC... which I need to bucket by the above. It's to the point where I need to present an underwriting matrix to give dual anymore.

I think paper logbooks are going to die quickly because of this absurdity.

Curious that ICAO/FAA included the R172 series in the "C172" type designator. The R172 is different enough in systems and performance to warrant a separate designator, as they do with the various versions of the M20, PA-28 and PA-32 families. Plus, the R172 is built under the Cessna 175's type certificate. So why not just call it a "C175"?

25 hours in any 172 to meet insurance is nuts.

Back