Cessna 172 Checkout

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
So today i got in a 172 checkout. Ive been flying 152's for some 50+ hours so i feel used to them. I got checked out in a 172 and it definetly felt different. I really like it for its overall stability and cabin comfort. I notice it has a heavier elevator and i notice it the most during landing and on takeoff. So now that im signed off, but i dont feel as comfortable in it as a 152, which obviously is rightfully so. How long for most of you does it take to actually feel "comfortable" flying a new a/c after a checkout?

So today i got in a 172 checkout. Ive been flying 152's for some 50+ hours so i feel used to them. I got checked out in a 172 and it definetly felt different. I really like it for its overall stability and cabin comfort. I notice it has a heavier elevator and i notice it the most during landing and on takeoff. So now that im signed off, but i dont feel as comfortable in it as a 152, which obviously is rightfully so. How long for most of you does it take to actually feel "comfortable" flying a new a/c after a checkout?

I just got my PPL yesterday and did my training in a 172. I'm going to opposite direction, want to get checked out in a 152. I don't plan to fly them often as I'm 6'4 with long legs, avg torso. At the club, there is usually a 152 avail when the 172s are gone. For a simple SF Bay tour, a 152 would be perfect...if I can fit. :)

I'm guessing the 152 will be a little less stable and lighter on the elevator.. LOL.

The biggest one getting used to was getting the complex endorsement for my Commercial certificate. All the others (150/2, different Warriors, 172's) were all easy. My instructor told me I was ready for the complex endorsement at 5 hrs but for insurance purposes, we needed to log at least 10 hrs dual

I just got my PPL yesterday and did my training in a 172. I'm going to opposite direction, want to get checked out in a 152. I don't plan to fly them often as I'm 6'4 with long legs, avg torso. At the club, there is usually a 152 avail when the 172s are gone. For a simple SF Bay tour, a 152 would be perfect...if I can fit. :)

I'm guessing the 152 will be a little less stable and lighter on the elevator.. LOL.

Haha nice! Yes the 152 controls are light compared to the 172, and i noticed the 172 is more stable with more room! You will enjoy the 152, good luck!

Prefer the 172 over the 152, like the extra weight and a little more stability . But if money's tight the 152 sure serves the purpose.

I trained in 100HP C150. I shortly transition to a C172 and never looked back. I love all the extra room even flying solo. I like the heavier aircraft dealing with AZ summer thermos. Less bumpty bump.

I trained in 100HP C150. I shortly transition to a C172 and never looked back. I love all the extra room even flying solo. I like the heavier aircraft dealing with AZ summer thermos. Less bumpty bump.

Try a 182 if you like a 172….

Flew a 172 14.5 hours yesterday. Haven't flown straight 172 for awhile. I thought something was wrong. Felt like I needed a push. Lol. I'm used to bigger roaring noises from out front I guess. Great plane though. I have two

Boston to Nebraska. 88 to 92 kts. with headwind

14.5 hrs. Holy crap. I've spent about 11 hours over the course of one day at the controls of a small plane (RV-4). Afterwards I thought I needed my spine adjusted by a chiropractor and my head examined by a shrink.

I have done 11 hours in a 172 before. This was longest. My back was hurting but it did have the good adjustable seats so kept adjusting those. Helped bunch. Had to get fuel 5 times for 20 min fuel stops so that let me walk around for few minutes. Funny though when I got here I was wondering how much further I could go. It was enjoyable overall. Told my wife if she ever wanted to go with me and retrace route we are not flying a 172!

How long for most of you does it take to actually feel "comfortable" flying a new a/c after a checkout?

Depends on the aircraft and what I've been flying most recently. As a general statement, it seems like I'm comfortable more quickly the heavier the aircraft is. My experience level is low, though. I've got just over 200 hours, checked out in 5 different models (C152, C162, C172, C182, and DA40XL).

How long for most of you does it take to actually feel "comfortable" flying a new a/c after a checkout?

I'd say for me when I get in something new it takes 3 to 5 hours until I feel pretty comfortable. However when I went from steam gauges to g1000 and gfc700 auto pilot in a Columbia I didn't feel really comfortable for about 50 hours and another 30 before I was relaxed flying approaches. However those hours are little high as most of those early hours were 1000 mile trips.

You need to trim the 172 much more than the 152, once you get that you'll be perfectly comfortable in it. The bigger the plane the more finesse relies on proper trim. Every time you want to do something that will change your speed, you change your trim, every time you need to change your altitude vector, you change your power.

Thanks, im hoping to go and do a little pattern work to help my landings.

As a general statement, it seems like I'm comfortable more quickly the heavier the aircraft is.

Mine is generally the opposite: getting used to heavier airplanes slower, because they have more systems (even trivial like cowl flaps), ton of unpleasant limits on flap and gear speeds that I must keep in mind at all times as if Vx, Vy, and Vs were not enough trouble. Plus they are faster, so everything happens quicker. The aborted takeoff and go-around procedures are more exact. I haven't yet flown a plane where Vref is calculated before landing, thank heavens.

In a similar situation to you. I had 80+ hours in a variety of 152s and was checked out to fly my schools 172SPs after 1.5 hours of instruction.

First thing I noticed (i.e. was unprepared for) was that a lot more right rudder was needed, especially during touch and gos.

It was much more stable and the interior was much more comfortable.

I still don't feel 100% comfortable in the 172s and fly the 152s more; but that may just be a product of $99/hr vs $155/hr.

As long as it takes! :wink2: Not before the CFI says you're ready and sometime after you think you're ready.

rya i just did the same thing.. it was odd but you get used to it quickly.

Going the opposite direction as you guys tonight. My club requires that if you go past your 90 day night currency, you have to be checked out by a CFI (lame). I haven't flown night for 5 months. Just did my PPL check ride yesterday, all in training in a 172. So, regardless of the silly rule, I would have gotten a CFI to do a night refresher. Tonight, doing a 90 day currency for FAA regs and club rules and checkout in a 152 with my CFI. Haven't flown in a 152, so should be fun. :) Read the POH for the various Vspeeds. I'll probably feel like I should falling out of the sky at some of the speeds. :)

Will be handy to get the 152's added to my key fob access card as the 172's are always busy. KEDU is getting a newish 172 - a 2000 172, steam gauge but 180HP as the 172SP with G-1000 isn't too popular as it is. Looking forward to trying the new bird out soon.

Mine is generally the opposite...

That's why I included a list of aircraft I'm checked out in (very straight-forward airplanes) and my experience level (low). I also have some time (certainly not checked out) in a Stearman, T6, and Twin Commander 685 which don't follow my general statement. But comparing a 152 to a 162 to a 172 to a 182 it holds fairly well. The 162 (lightest) is a kite with a touchy elevator and not enough rudder. The 182 (heaviest) feels like an SUV.

My record for one day is 11 hours in a 182. Not horrible, but I was definitely ready to get to the hotel by the last leg. Now 7.6 in a 150 with only brief fuel stops....that was torture. Especially since I'm 6'3".

I did the same thing, I feel much more comfortable now after about 10 hours in the 172, but still don't feel at home like in the 152. I don't know the performance as innately as the 152, but I love being faster and comfier with a GPS.

My record for one day is 11 hours in a 182. Not horrible, but I was definitely ready to get to the hotel by the last leg. Now 7.6 in a 150 with only brief fuel stops....that was torture. Especially since I'm 6'3".

I flew the boss's 150 on my pipeline route one day, it was one if my 13 hr days, when he was fixing the PA-12 I normally flew. I had forgotten how much butt torture a 150 could inflict.:rofl: The PA-12 was luxurious in comparison.:yesnod:

I too had this same situation this past week. After about 100 hrs in the 150, I got checked out on the 172 a couple days ago. Went up solo this morning to do some pattern work and try to get the landings down. Kept floating it with almost every flare. Just needs practice I'm sure, but you're right in that it takes some getting used to.

I did my training in a 152 and owned a 172 and a (TR)182.

Transitioning between any of the 100-series Cessnas is pretty easy. Cessna designed them to be that way. It just take a few hours to get used to the control forces, different speeds, etc.

Back