Cessna 150M Spinner requirement?

Vijay Subramaniam

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vijaysub
I am looking at a 1976 Cessna 150M. Unfortunately the plane doesn't have a spinner on it currently. When I looked at the parts manual it shows the part numbers for the spinner with two back plates. When I checked the type certificate for the airplane it did not mention a spinner. The propeller type certificate also did not mention a spinner either (in contrast the 182 has specific recommendations for a spinner).

Does anyone have a recommendation where to look to see if something as simple as a skull cap would work as a replacement to a full spinner. I looked on numerous sites that sell spinners and they all stop at the K model??

Thanks
Vijay

Use the part numbers given by the manufacturer, and order from a salvage yard, (new ones are expensive)

I actually tried that first. Their site isn't accepting new registrations so wont allow posting
In regards to the salvage yards...its slim picking right now

I actually tried that first.
Perhaps you can review the aircraft logs for any entry removing the spinner and its reference. Or send an email to Cessna tech support inquiring if the spinner is required or optional equipment. On a number of older fixed-pitched prop aircraft the spinner was optional equipment.

Thanks for all the info. The POH list it as standard equipment. The way I have always looked at is...if it came that way from the factory it needs to stay that way. I have the part numbers..now comes the fun part finding them where they don't cost as much as the plane itself.

I've seen lots of 150s with the old-style (pre-1971) cowl without spinners, or, like my old '66 150F, with the little skull-cap prop hub cap.

It may be that the new style cowl needs the full-size spinner for proper air flow around the engine.

Back