Cessna 150A wing

Daddydragon797

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daddydragon797
Hello,
I was wondering if the wings of Cessna 150s are the same throughout the models? I've got a 1961 150A straightail and I'm looking for a left wing due to corrosion. Thanks

I was wondering if the wings of Cessna 150s are the same throughout the models?
What exactly is corroded and why are you looking for a complete wing assembly? And who recommended replacing the wing vs repairing it?

But just to give you an answer, in general, the basic wing structure assembly is the same up through the variants as shown on the listing below. HOWEVER, it is not necessarily a plug and play option between those options. Plus your average APIA will normally not take on such a job unless they have previous experience. In most cases a better route is to have your existing wings repaired even if it requires a complete disassembly.

upload_2022-2-2_17-33-56.png

upload_2022-2-2_17-34-31.png

Thanks for the info. There's substential exfoliation corrosion on the inside of the leading edge, the width of the fuel tank. On the L shaped plate and also on the edge where the structural screws go for the fuel tank cover.

That fuel tank was skipped in the prebuy because we had trouble getting the fuel cover panel off (busted screws). Turns out there was a big mouse nest in there for years.

My A&P is looking at a fix but he also said it might be cheaper to just buy a wing. So now I'm weighing my options.

I believe ( Williams ) Aerospace Components can convert from one p/n to another.

check ALL your options.

So now I'm weighing my options.
If you're APIA is on board then a replacement is always possible. But if all that is at issue is forward of the spar you may want to pull the wing and remove the leading edge and see what you got. I always found to be money ahead in knowing specifically what it would take to fix a wing. Most of my experience is with 172s, but its the same game. This is all good provided your APIA likes pounding rivets. Good luck.

If the Spar is good it MIGHT be possible to repair this without removing the wing.
Cessna authorizes adding access holes in some locations.If you go this route make sure Wing Twist is correct. The SM has a relatively easy procedure to check this.

I have a ‘77 150M with damaged on the RH wing leading edge. Three damaged ribs and of course the skin both outboard and inboard needs to be replaced. Estimate repair cost is $6-$8k unpainted. I am too weighting my options.

I’ve found a couple of wings from different model variant (150A and 150L) for under $2k, in really good conditions. In the processing of determining fitment but I’m not sure if the replacement is a direct fit.

Thanks for the info. There's substential exfoliation corrosion on the inside of the leading edge, the width of the fuel tank. On the L shaped plate and also on the edge where the structural screws go for the fuel tank cover.

That fuel tank was skipped in the prebuy because we had trouble getting the fuel cover panel off (busted screws). Turns out there was a big mouse nest in there for years.

My A&P is looking at a fix but he also said it might be cheaper to just buy a wing. So now I'm weighing my options.
I'd bet that there is corrosion damage to the spar. Just the fact that the tank cover screws broke is a red flag. The anchor nuts are on the spar flange, they rust, and rusting steel against aluminum implies galvanic corrosion, and with such a scenario, the aluminum suffers more than the steel. And mice add their salty, acidic pee to the whole mess.

Replacing those anchor nuts is a pain. Their flush-head rivets are under the aft edge of the leading edge skin. And replace them you will, with broken screws in them. Trying to drill the screws out often results in a wandering drill bit eating into the spar. Now you have bigger problems.

Back