Cessna 150 Elevator outer hinge/bushing

kevmor99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kevmor99
Take a look at this video, this was moving it fore/aft, but it had the same movement up/down:

https://goo.gl/photos/HCyPkdfqJpMMaC8N9

I'm curious if anyone has seen this before, and if it's most likely a simple bushing replacement or if it's damaged the elevator mounting holes...

Take a look at this video, this was moving it fore/aft, but it had the same movement up/down:

https://goo.gl/photos/HCyPkdfqJpMMaC8N9

I'm curious if anyone has seen this before, and if it's most likely a simple bushing replacement or if it's damaged the elevator mounting holes...

Looks to me like the elevator-half of the hinge is worn out.

This is from a 150 manual but it looks like the hole in #48 is bad.

The bolt seems loose.

That bolt should put a clamping force on #35 so that #35 doesn't move, turn etc around the bolt and allow those hinge tabs to wear.

Only #35 should turn in #34 with elevator up/down pivoting wearing out the bushing in #34.

Last edited:
Correct. With a worn bushing the elevator and bolt should move in unison with reference to the stab hinge. There should be no relative motion between the bolt and elevator as seen here.

Thanks guys, I was surprised this wasn't caught on the last annual... So would you consider this plane not airworthy to fly at all, or "fix it at the next annual", etc? I know what I would do, but I was wondering other's thoughts...

Thanks guys, I was surprised this wasn't caught on the last annual... So would you consider this plane not airworthy to fly at all, or "fix it at the next annual", etc? I know what I would do, but I was wondering other's thoughts...

Don't fly it until it's fixed and all the other controls are looked at. If that got overlooked, I'd be concerned that other things aren't right either. Those bolt holes could be very badly worn, maybe cracked, or the bolt itself cut partway through.

How many hours were spent on this "annual?"

Last edited:
Hi guys! I have the same problem on 1968 150H Cessna. Hole on outer hinge attachment to left out board rib is elongated. What is approved fix? Ron

I can’t make out the vid well but I have seen worn hinges on 150’s and

agree with the comments. It could be as easy as a loose bolt.

The wear I have seen does not appear suddenly . To go from

“ barely noticeable” to “ change it now“ status requires a couple hundred

hours. This is often several ” Inspections” while the wear progresses.

IIRC Part 35 is steel and wears very little .

Part 34 is riveted on aluminum with a pressed in brass bushing
that is not called out.

As 35 rotates In 34 the bushing In 34 will wear.

I have found it easier to press the bushing out/ in rather than rivet

a new assy. There is no difficulty in inspecting this area so Dan’s

comment really rings true.

btw- There is a ‘67 150 and a ‘81 152 that I have done nearly all of

their inspections. I’ll guess it’s about 150 Annual / 100 hr Inspections.

The goal should be to detect issues like this EARLY so you can have parts

on-hand as wear progresses.

I can’t make out the vid well but I have seen worn hinges on 150’s and

agree with the comments. It could be as easy as a loose bolt.

The wear I have seen does not appear suddenly . To go from

“ barely noticeable” to “ change it now“ status requires a couple hundred

hours. This is often several ” Inspections” while the wear progresses.

IIRC Part 35 is steel and wears very little .

Part 34 is riveted on aluminum with a pressed in brass bushing
that is not called out.

As 35 rotates In 34 the bushing In 34 will wear.

I have found it easier to press the bushing out/ in rather than rivet

a new assy. There is no difficulty in inspecting this area so Dan’s

comment really rings true.

btw- There is a ‘67 150 and a ‘81 152 that I have done nearly all of

their inspections. I’ll guess it’s about 150 Annual / 100 hr Inspections.

The goal should be to detect issues like this EARLY so you can have parts

on-hand as wear progresses.
Thanks for your reply. The wear on my A/C is in the elevator hinge bracket. The outboard bracket surface and elevator rib structure are elongated about 1/8 inch. A washer under the nut on the hinge shaft would stop the hinge shaft from moving, but it's not a fix. It seems that doubling the material with a reinforcement patch would suffice, but a lot of rivets would have to be removed and replaced, almost a complete rebuild of the outboard end of the elevator. I think you were referring to the horizontal stabilizer hinge portion. That's okay, but elevator tab is the problem. I thought it easier to just replace the elevator with a serviceable used item if it hasn't gotten the same affliction. I was hoping for some insight to repair the existing elevator. Unless I'm reading you wrong, your experience has been with properly tightened hinges that wore out from hours of use and maybe little lubrication. If you have suggestions for repairs to the elongated tab(outboard), I'd like to pursue them..............Ron Mann

Replacement of the elevator is likely the best course of action.

However; you may want to confer with a DER.

It is possible they may be able to develop a repair using a

Structural Epoxy such as a Hy-Sol product. Worth a call.

Easiest and fastest is to contact Airframe Components .

They could either fix or exchange.

The proper thing is to replace the worn pieces. Time and money, but might be cheaper than a whole exchange elevator.

Those bushing will be frequently found loose. Mechanics somehow think that the elevator is supposed to pivot on the bolt, so they don't torque it up. This applies to the rudder hinges as well. On the Cessna 180,185 and oldest 182s, the trim system moves the leading edge of the stabilizer up and down, and the aft end pivots on a similar setup in the tailcone just ahead of the rudder. Mechanics leave those bolts loose, too, and they chomp out the holes in some VERY expensive structural components. There is minimal material around those holes, so any slop is bad. Recently someone came up with STC'd short sections of the expensive "hockey stick" angles to repair that worn-out section. It's important stuff, as a failure there would cause a loss of control of the airplane.

Service Manuals are published to prevent stupid mistakes like this. Right up front in Cessna's anuals we have this:

1689297875433.png

At the bottom of that page there is this:

1689297935090.png
Those 1/4" bolts and nuts are to be torqued for tension loads to capture that bushing, or "spacer" as Cessna calls it. 50 to 70 inch-pounds. There is no other stipulated torque on the page showing the assembly of those hinges, to the table above applies.

The 180/185 manual has, on the stabilizer installation page, this:
1689298177087.png

See the black dot next to the 1/4" hinge bolt, #14? At the bottom of the page, they put this:

1689298227312.png

Not loose. Not 50 to 70 inch-pounds, either. They want it tight, 70 to 100. They don't want that bolt moving in the structure.

This happened to my 150 at last annual. The only cost effective solution is replacing the elevator. To fix the attach bracket that the bushing wore through, the skin has to be removed, making a repair not cost effective. I managed to pick up a scrap yard elevator for about $300, plus another $200 for painting in the shop.

Do not fly until this is addressed.

Back