Cessna 150 Aerobat

Nit picking, but all Aerobats were Cessna 152's, not 150's.

The interior pic did not seem to show the door jettison D rings, which are installed on each side door pillar.

Mighty pretty plane, though. I have flown aerobatic in one, and liked it. That one had no seat upholstery, I sat on the parachute, and it also padded the back. Not very comfortable. This plane is nicer.

Priced to make a profit!

The interior pic did not seem to show the door jettison D rings, which are installed on each side door pillar.

Mighty pretty plane, though. I have flown aerobatic in one, and liked it. That one had no seat upholstery, I sat on the parachute, and it also padded the back. Not very comfortable. This plane is nicer.

Priced to make a profit!
Aerobats were available in both 150 and 152 models. I fly a 1973 A-150L with an O-360 (STC) and tow gliders with it.

hard pass. Much better acro options for less money, even trikes (acro tends to be dominated by tail draggers, so I know the frustration of finding acro trikes). I used to own a non-acro 150, it -- not today ! :D

Aerobat or not, I can't justify $90k for a 150. I have flown a 152 Aerobat in the past and it was mildly fun to fly, but nothing to write home about imho.

Priced to make a profit!
Okay so what is the proper name for the 150 Aerobat?

Priced to make a profit!
The factory Cessna POH in the ad clearly says 1977 Cessna 150 Aerobat.

Nice plane, but I can't ever see owning one as there are so many better choices for acro.

Great plane for a flight school that already uses 150s and wants to add upset training, though.

As others have said, for that money you can buy a really nice Citabria and they are just better airplanes all around. The aerobat doesn't handle any different than a standard 150 and I can't imagine that aerobatics in it would be all that fun. For that price you could buy a decent standard 150 AND a decent ECA. That is nice Decathlon or 7KCAB money and they have inverted fuel and oil systems so you can do proper aerobatics.

Time to eat humble pie.

I thought that the change from no rear window to the newer airframe with a window defined the change from 150 to 152. Obviously wrong.

All the 150's that I have flown were without rear windows, all the 152's were with. And all the Aerobats that I sat in or flew were 152's.

I also have revived the memory of a failure to get a log book entry for that aerobatic flight. I was having so much fun, that the instructor ran past the end of the hour because "students are always late". I was cash in hand. His next student was early, waiting at the gas pump, and made a big deal of it. I exited the plane, gave him the parachute, he climbed in, the gas boy put gas in, and away they went.

I took the Hobbs numbers in, and paid for the flight, and had no log book entry! Since this flight was not from my home airport, and the aerobatic instructor was part time and lived even farther away, getting together with him just faded away.

After you get over the novelty of those first few loops and aileron rolls, you're not gonna care much about continuing to do acro in an Aerobat and you might as well have a regular 150/152 for much less money.

I thought that the change from no rear window to the newer airframe with a window defined the change from 150 to 152.
Rear window came with the 1964 150D. Important safety feature - you need it to see where you're going in a headwind.

The new 152 was more-or-less an evolutionary change for the 1978 model year - switch to Lyc O-235, gross weight up to 1670 lb, flaps limited to 30° - otherwise same as the '77 150M.

5EB3B68D-C96B-48E9-BD89-94702DCE4889.jpeg

Rear window came with the 1964 150D. Important safety feature - you need it to see where you're going in a headwind.

The new 152 was more-or-less an evolutionary change for the 1978 model year - switch to Lyc O-235, gross weight up to 1670 lb, flaps limited to 30° - otherwise same as the '77 150M.
Also changed to 28V electrical system.

After you get over the novelty of those first few loops and aileron rolls, you're not gonna care much about continuing to do acro in an Aerobat and you might as well have a regular 150/152 for much less money.
A regular 150 in decent hands will do the same maneuver as long as nobody sees you. ;)

A regular 150 in decent hands will do the same maneuver as long as nobody sees you. ;)
Sure, but those who already know this and who would be safe doing it will not be interested in the first place.

I would personally prefer an Aerobat over a Citabria if I did not have a hangar available. Ask Catherine Cavagnaro in Sewanee, Tennessee, whether or not Aerobats can do aerobatics . :) A super Decathlon would be better, but each of us has to pay our money and make our choice.

Does the Aerobat differ structurally from the regular 152?
Per Cessna aerodynamicist and test pilot Bill Robinson:

-- Beefed up wings, struts (wider chord), and empennage structure to withstand the 6 g's positive and 3 g's negative required in the aerobatic category and the higher 193-mph red line speed;
-- Large military-type seat belt and shoulder harness system along with removable seat cushions to accommodate either seat pack or back pack parachutes;
-- Overhead skylights standard;
-- Jettisonable cabin doors

Back