Cessna 150/150

Love the 150 as long as I had time to kill. Fun and CHEAP plane! I used to do 1-2 local flights a couple of times a week and then once a week I'd pick a place at random and fly there on a Friday night or Saturday. Get a crew car, drive around the town and grab a bite at a McDonald's, Arby's, etc. while reading the local paper. There's almost always be an elderly couple who you knew were out for their one "out" meal a week, and I'd strike up a conversation. I got to see a lot of towns and meet a lot of people. Places I'd never have gone to otherwise. If I was tired I'd get a fleabag motel and fly home the next morning. In addition to the other places I'd go to several times, I got to see a hundred other towns. I wouldn't trade those times.

It's not a mission plane, that's for sure. It's funny how you can be embarrassed from 3,000 feet up when cars on the highway are going faster than you are.

When I learned to fly it was primarily in a 150hp C150. The school also had a 160hp 150 on floats. I also got time in a stock 100hp airplane. Takeoff and clinb performance were better with more power but the 100hp airplane flew better. Especially when slow.

Anyone remember this from back in the 80's? The "Condor" STC for the C-150. I'm not sure what all they did to it but it had an O-360. The tricycle gear version had a little tail wheel as well because it was easy to smack the tail on the runway. I hear they used to do an airshow routine where they would slow fly down the runway with that little tail wheel on the ground and mains in the air.

Cessnacessna. I live in monterey ca and am upgrading my 150. Can you please email or call me about stc’ing my plane. Thanks
Chris
831-521-1270
Tenezman@aol.com

Cessna 150/150 or 150/180
Contact Chris Shaw at Del Air in Porterville California
559-784-9440

Chris has been slowly improving the parts and processes of this STC mod to make everything fit better
And work easier, but I don’t know details.

The tuna spotters,used 150/150s with long range tanks,stripped down for weight. If your thinking of re powering with a 180 I’d look at older 172 with the conversion.

I agree ✅
Cessna 150/180 is too much weight/fuel burn/cost unless you are towing gliders out of Leadville Colorado...

I'd love to try a 150/150. People suggesting a 172 instead must not care about handling. After learning to fly in 150s I found the 172 to be like driving a truck.

After learning to fly in 150s I found the 172 to be like driving a truck.

Which is exactly what I said after taking a check ride in a 172.

For what you spent on "upgrading" a 150 you could probably buy a decent 172.

:dunno:

I'd take a 150/150 over a 172 any day, especially one with long range tanks, straight tail and tailwheeled, that'd be one heck of a plane.

So take that all you negative experts- this is a worthwhile mod if you plan to keep the plane.
If not, sell your 150 and buy something else that costs more and might perform better

Or if you can find one with the work done and done right... Flew one for a while when I lived in Visalia, CA.... 1976 150-M.... It was a hoot to fly and would get me over to the coast in no time...

Like others did say, the range is limited and required a little more flight planning effort, but for a young airman this was a good drill for doing some "real" X-country flying..

I just HAD to comment on this post, despite it is really, really old (like me.) Lot’s of aviators have no idea what a Cessna 150/150 is, when they glance at these little birds.

I’ve owned a mess of airplanes, started flying lessons with my father (who was an instructor pilot with the Army Air Corp in WW2).

My Cessna 150/150 was absolutely the most fun airplane I’ve flown. In 2012, I flew it from my ranch between Abilene and San Angelo, Texas to Mount Saint Helens and back.

On my trip, I rarely flew it longer than two hours (call me old and not bold, but in this tiny bird, I gassed up as often as possible)...

The two highest airports I stopped at were at Las Vegas, New Mexico and West Yellowstone. When I landed at West Yellowstone, I camped at the pilots campground for two days. This was in August and despite having a light sleeping bag and a small tent I carried, I nearly froze. The morning I was doing my preflight for departing West Yellowstone, a “cocky” young pilot in a Cessna 421 came up and said, “You plan on flying that underpowered 150 of this field?” He lectured me about density altitude as I was loading all my camping gear back into my Cessna (I called it “The Giant Killer”) and I wanted to tell him I started flying lessons at age 12 with my dad in his Beechcraft Twin Bonanza Excalibur (Google that aircraft) but I thought I’d just act like I was “new to flying” and bit my lip as I was getting his lecture. I then shook his hand and said, “Thank you for the info about density altitude. Would you stay here and keep an eye out for me, just in case I have a problem trying to get airborne?” He didn’t smile, but frowned and said something like “We don’t have 9-1-1 here, but I’ll stick around just in case you screw the pooch.” (I wanted to tell him I flew choppers in Vietnam in the Army... but continued acting like I didn’t know cat poop from Shinola...)

I crawled into The Giant Killer (he could hear me moaning from my arthritis and bursitis) and I pulled out onto the runway, blew off the airstrip like the proverbial homesick angel that The Giant Killer was, and as I left, I wonder if that “kid” said something like “Holy Sheet”...

On my way out of Yellowstone, I flew straight to Cody, Wyoming and had to climb to 14,000 feet to clear (I think the name of the “hill” was Rattlesnake Mountain.) Landed in Cody and encountered another pilot older than me, who gave me basically the same lecture. I acted like a dumb Texan, did the same climb out as he watched me and wondered if he too muttered “Holy Sheet” as I went on my merry way to the Badlands in the Dakotas.

I miss that little bird. Had to sell it do to no longer being able to pass a medical, but the Cessna 150/150 is a hoot to fly, and I shortened my 3,000 by 100 foot grass runway to 900 feet by 12 feet, to save gas in my big tractor I used to mow the strip with.

Yep, you can’t fly long legs in a 150/150 but when you are an old fart, your bladder has about the same “range” so The Giant Killer worked just great for me.

(Oh, in my dad’s Excalibur, he had to teach me instrument flying first, because at 12 years old, I couldn’t see over the panel. N4311D. I think I put a picture on AOPA my dad took of me standing by the fuselage and too short to step on the first step going to the top of the wing, when we flew from El Paso to Salt Lake City. If you see that photo, please leave a comment, “Holy Sheet” on AOPA.

Last edited:
GREAT 1st post Luke! Welcome to the asylum. I do remember(when I owned a Super Cub) when I ran into a 150/150........at Seattle Sky Sports.
I could barely get off the ground a little shorter, but that 150 was at 1000' when I was going through about 500.

Thanks kgruber:
Thought I’d try and add a photo here. I told my wife, if I ever ended up in Hospice Care like my dad, to hang these two photos near my bed to remind me what a great time I had as a senile senior citizen (large picture is my planning map of the trip in The Giant Killer, smaller photo is Mount Saint Helens, I opened the window, stuck my $5,000 Nikon out in the breeze, and snapped away.

Attachments

• 9B331B6A-19D9-40DA-B409-A82A2FFD67D6.jpeg
    9B331B6A-19D9-40DA-B409-A82A2FFD67D6.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 60
(Oh, in my dad’s Excalibur, he had to teach me instrument flying first, because at 12 years old, I couldn’t see over the panel. N4311D. I think I put a picture on AOPA my dad took of me standing by the fuselage and too short to step on the first step going to the top of the wing, when we flew from El Paso to Salt Lake City. If you see that photo, please leave a comment, “Holy Sheet” on AOPA.
Is this you? http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000054743.html

I fly a 150/150 as a glider tow plane. Hell of a performer when not towing. However useful load makes it a single place airplane.

I married into a 150/150. It had the gross weight STC and the aux fuel tank in the baggage compartment.
I thought it was great! I'm not tall. I don't mind flying slow. Liked how little I had to worry about short runways!
ONE person could take it on some pretty awesome adventures (bachelor/bachelorette plane).
The husband later upgraded to a 180hp 172. But I sometimes miss the 150/150. I always felt like it was just my size.

I fly a 150/150 as a glider tow plane. Hell of a performer when not towing. However useful load makes it a single place airplane.
Lucky me that my wife is petite (still a tad too much weight though for two folks in a 150/150 full of fuel) but for looking for lost cows on a ranch, and flying by yourself, a 150/150 was a perfect airplane. I always posted NOTAMS for my private airport, “Fresh and plentiful cow dung on runway in bodacious abundance. Check breaking action upon landing and bring your own cleaning supplies.”

Last edited:
With the O-320 and Sensenich 74x58” pitch, I’m running 7gph with a tas of 135mph at 6500’
Doing the math, that’s better mileage than a stock 0-200 C-150 burning 6gph going 110mph.
These fastbacks are a little quicker than the ‘omni window’ planes though....B9E358D0-4CD8-4C6B-96B1-147E10E94AA5.jpeg

Followups:
2x170 lbs can fly in it provided it has the gross weight increase STC, and only 4 gallons reserve is in the aux tank.
I always burned less than 8 gal/hr except in climb.
Tricycle speed is competive with 172. Tail wheel 150/150 do even better at abt 132 mph.

I just HAD to comment on this post, despite it is really, really old (like me.) Lot’s of aviators have no idea what a Cessna 150/150 is, when they glance at these little birds.

I’ve owned a mess of airplanes, started flying lessons with my father (who was an instructor pilot with the Army Air Corp in WW2).

My Cessna 150/150 was absolutely the most fun airplane I’ve flown. In 2012, I flew it from my ranch between Abilene and San Angelo, Texas to Mount Saint Helens and back.

On my trip, I rarely flew it longer than two hours (call me old and not bold, but in this tiny bird, I gassed up as often as possible)...

The two highest airports I stopped at were at Las Vegas, New Mexico and West Yellowstone. When I landed at West Yellowstone, I camped at the pilots campground for two days. This was in August and despite having a light sleeping bag and a small tent I carried, I nearly froze. The morning I was doing my preflight for departing West Yellowstone, a “cocky” young pilot in a Cessna 421 came up and said, “You plan on flying that underpowered 150 of this field?” He lectured me about density altitude as I was loading all my camping gear back into my Cessna (I called it “The Giant Killer”) and I wanted to tell him I started flying lessons at age 12 with my dad in his Beechcraft Twin Bonanza Excalibur (Google that aircraft) but I thought I’d just act like I was “new to flying” and bit my lip as I was getting his lecture. I then shook his hand and said, “Thank you for the info about density altitude. Would you stay here and keep an eye out for me, just in case I have a problem trying to get airborne?” He didn’t smile, but frowned and said something like “We don’t have 9-1-1 here, but I’ll stick around just in case you screw the pooch.” (I wanted to tell him I flew choppers in Vietnam in the Army... but continued acting like I didn’t know cat poop from Shinola...)

I crawled into The Giant Killer (he could hear me moaning from my arthritis and bursitis) and I pulled out onto the runway, blew off the airstrip like the proverbial homesick angel that The Giant Killer was, and as I left, I wonder if that “kid” said something like “Holy Sheet”...

On my way out of Yellowstone, I flew straight to Cody, Wyoming and had to climb to 14,000 feet to clear (I think the name of the “hill” was Rattlesnake Mountain.) Landed in Cody and encountered another pilot older than me, who gave me basically the same lecture. I acted like a dumb Texan, did the same climb out as he watched me and wondered if he too muttered “Holy Sheet” as I went on my merry way to the Badlands in the Dakotas.

I miss that little bird. Had to sell it do to no longer being able to pass a medical, but the Cessna 150/150 is a hoot to fly, and I shortened my 3,000 by 100 foot grass runway to 900 feet by 12 feet, to save gas in my big tractor I used to mow the strip with.

Yep, you can’t fly long legs in a 150/150 but when you are an old fart, your bladder has about the same “range” so The Giant Killer worked just great for me.

Wow. Great read . A few years ago I bought a 150E with the ole trusty 0200 in it. While learning to fly , it was a blast here in the wild Arctic of Alaska. Opened up a pile of new ways to look at our planet. Im still in solo but this far north its hard to keep a local pilot thats a CFI. Well I put dang near 100 hours on ole blue. Enjoying everytime I flew it. I bought a sportsman Stol kit but never installed . Yeh my plans was big tires and a bigger motor but dang the prices of getting that installed wasn’t going to be Cheap to have a great bush plane.
Went down to Anchorage a few months ago and came across a 150/150 with a stol kit , big tires and a low time 320 at a price I couldnt turn down and bought it . Wife was MAD when she found out a few weeks later.
Man does it do it justice and I just love its small size, Im in high heaven

I'm thinking of buying a 150/150 as I am at USAFA right now and I want something to keep me busy/have fun with while also teaching me a thing or two. The altitude here is 7258 ft above sea level (far far above that of WestPoint or Annapolis), and I've heard a 150/150 is a pretty good performer up here. Any advice on what to look for when buying one? Are there any common issues with the o-320? Are there issues with the CG because of the larger engine or is it cancelled out by the battery being in the back and the added auxiliary tank in the baggage area?

Inspect the horizontal stab for loose rivets. My friend has a 150/180. That's right a o360. He bought it from a glider towing outfit in western Colorado. It does go good in the mountains. But the extra thump thump thump from propellor blast on horizontal will loosen the rivets on horizontal stabilizer. He is two sizes up from original and the last before complete horizontal rebuild or replacement.

I'm thinking of buying a 150/150 as I am at USAFA right now and I want something to keep me busy/have fun with while also teaching me a thing or two. The altitude here is 7258 ft above sea level (far far above that of WestPoint or Annapolis), and I've heard a 150/150 is a pretty good performer up here. Any advice on what to look for when buying one? Are there any common issues with the o-320? Are there issues with the CG because of the larger engine or is it cancelled out by the battery being in the back and the added auxiliary tank in the baggage area?
By your wording of "at USAFA" and your exceptionally appropriate use of the altimeter check, I'm guessing you're a cadet there. If that's true, then I can't imagine you needing something else to "keep you busy"! Maybe things have changed, but I certainly wouldn't have had the free time to deal with aircraft ownership, or getting any useful amount of flying time in. But hey, if you do, more power to you.

Is "Fast Neat Average" still a thing?

I have literally no advice on the 150/150 though.

By your wording of "at USAFA" and your exceptionally appropriate use of the altimeter check, I'm guessing you're a cadet there. If that's true, then I can't imagine you needing something else to "keep you busy"! Maybe things have changed, but I certainly wouldn't have had the free time to deal with aircraft ownership, or getting any useful amount of flying time in. But hey, if you do, more power to you.

Is "Fast Neat Average" still a thing?

I have literally no advice on the 150/150 though.
"Friendly Good Good" Hahaha. We stay busy most of the year but I find myself having a lot of free time on weekends after I get my homework done and sometimes even on weekdays. Looking to learn a bit more in that free time I have while also having fun.

Tip tanks on a 150?

I did not know that...

JohnnyCarson-McMahan.jpg
I preferred the version with drop tanks

Cessna 150/150 or 150/180
Contact Chris Shaw at Del Air in Porterville California
559-784-9440

Chris has been slowly improving the parts and processes of this STC mod to make everything fit better
And work easier, but I don’t know details.
Chris is a good guy, a friend of mine, He will take care of you

Back