Certified letter from Oklahoma City

probably gave you 60 days to respond ... ask for an extension if you need ... but reply by deadline. Looks like you have a handle on this ... good luck

In any case, Dr. Bruce's fee to review your case is extremely reasonable. And his resulting advice, invaluable.

So if you wish his help in determining what it is the FAA desires so that you have a successful outcome, do it. You won't regret it. But act soon as the deadline clock is ticking and not sending in the requested info on time causes more problems.
Yeah, I have most of what they need already. There was some problems with me being the intermediary between what the doctors needed.
Bruce is too ethical and modest to hold out, so I'll do so on his behalf.

OP presently does not have a medical and also is excluded from SP. His only chance of flying anything other than an ultralight, glider, or free balloon is to get this right; and it's not a DIY sort of project.

Rich
I understand, and I am grateful for his advice. From what I understand, I'm excluded from Sport Pilot because I am at risk for being denied Class 3 Medical (currently I'm not excluded, but in 58 days, or at denial, I am), which, I think explains Dr. Bruce's question as to why I submitted.

Yeah, at this point, I'm doing Type Cert (Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft) aircraft only, and after I get more knowledge, I'll look at experimentals/kit airplanes (Vans/EZ, and the Raptor is looking interesting).

The nice thing is that where I work, their Group Life Insurance covers flying, but the accident insurance doesn't cover experimental aircraft (it's called out there on the policy), but that is only $25K of the $750K that covers me.

One point I haven't seen further addressed, or I missed it if it was: the requirement for treadmill stress test if >age 40, which it sounds like you are. Unfortunately, lack of medical indication for the test isn't the FAA's concern, and your endocrinologist's opinion that it is not indicated will not carry any weight. Might as well just get it scheduled, if you are going to be certifiable otherwise, as they're not going to waive it.

This is coming from another type 1 diabetic, whose not-medically-indicated stress tests have led to two less-than-medically-indicated catheterizations. Sigh. But I do hold a valid third class...

One point I haven't seen further addressed, or I missed it if it was: the requirement for treadmill stress test if >age 40, which it sounds like you are. Unfortunately, lack of medical indication for the test isn't the FAA's concern, and your endocrinologist's opinion that it is not indicated will not carry any weight. Might as well just get it scheduled, if you are going to be certifiable otherwise, as they're not going to waive it.

This is coming from another type 1 diabetic, whose not-medically-indicated stress tests have led to two less-than-medically-indicated catheterizations. Sigh. But I do hold a valid third class...
Already scheduled... Plus, since it's coming up on 90 days since my last A1c, that's what I'm doing this weekend. I guess it's good that these were caught...

Thank you for the insight.

I don't recall him doing this but he will tell YOU what you need to tell your doctor in their language. Calling doctors would be a big time sink but would be a nice touch.
In my case, I signed a release, he either faxed or called directly to the physician's offices for info.

Contact Dr B now. He understands exactly what the FAA wants, the format, etc. Don't try to do it yourself.

Following everyone's advice, I have contacted Dr. Bruce, and as things were going, I had asked my company about their records for the times that they have attended to me, and it looks like I'll be waiting for a while to clear item #2 (5 year unassisted hypoglycemia recovery requirement).

So... my recommendations:
1. If you are needing a Special Issuance, or think you do, get a hold of Dr. Bruce. He's in the FAA AME list. http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf
2. If you think you can do this yourself, see #1.
3. Have him talk to your doctors. I'm an engineer, and I read a lot of technical documents, and make interpretations from them. The requirements from the FAA Guide for AME (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf) were hard to read by me, and were hard to read by the doctors. Having another doctor talk to them in their language is beneficial, especially when the doctor knows the system.
4. If you still want to do it yourself, see #1.
5. If you still want to do it yourself, good luck. You are going to need it.

The FAA can issue an AC to a lawn chair if they want to.

And they have!
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?nNumberTxt=878UP

UP_FAA_Form_8130-7_AirworthinessCertificate_N878UP.jpg

TheAlpsCluster_SeriousAtDawn.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back