Certified Letter from Oklahoma City

N9406U

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CL
Hi,

I own an airplane and I am a new private pilot. USPS didn't deliver the letter but instead left a notice in our mailbox. I have to wait till Monday to know what its about. Any idea what it could be about? :eek:

Any number of things. Could be about the plane, could be about you.

Go get the letter, as I can most assuredly promise you that not collecting the letter will in no way affect what the FAA might do or refrain from doing. Best you know what's up.

I will go get the letter, I just can't get it until Monday because the P.O. is closed. I am just trying to get an idea of others experiences. I have only owned the plane for about a year. What type of certified letters do the send about aircraft?

Its not gonna be good. It is a legal notice of some kind.

The worst part is waiting until Monday to get it.

Dont sweat it. Have a beer watch Nebraska beat Miami like a red headed step child. People will be happy who ever wins.

Hi,

I own an airplane and I am a new private pilot. USPS didn't deliver the letter but instead left a notice in our mailbox. I have to wait till Monday to know what its about. Any idea what it could be about? :eek:

You didn't take your flight training and get the check ride in Las Vegas, did ya..:dunno::dunno:

What do you mean by legal notice? What would it be at a minimum?

Its not gonna be good. It is a legal notice of some kind.

The worst part is waiting until Monday to get it.

Dont sweat it. Have a beer watch Nebraska beat Miami like a red headed step child. People will be happy who ever wins.

Don't sweat it. Neither you nor anyone else here has a clue what it is about until you open it. Could be something; could be nothing.

One day I received a voicemail on my cell phone. "Hello, this is [name] from the Denver Tower. Please call me at [number]." I wondered what I had done to infringe on the nearby Class B. Care to guess what it was?

PS if it is bad news, don't talk about it here or any other public forum.

Last edited:
If it's from Oklahoma City, it's not an enforcement action -- that would come the Regional Counsel in your area. Most likely issues are either medical or aircraft registration. Have you recently updated your medical or re-registered your aircraft? Note that an aircraft registration issue might not be serious at all, just a matter of paperwork, and a medical letter might just be looking to clarify something on your medical application, so don't panic just yet.

In any event, get the letter, read it, and if you don't understand what it means, ask here. Do not respond in writing or otherwise without proper counsel (maybe legal advice from an aviation attorney or from a super AME like Bruce Chien, depending on what it says), but keep in mind that there's a clock running for you to get a response to them, so don't delay getting it.

Don't sweat it. Neither you nor anyone else here has a clue what it is about until you open it. Could be something; could be nothing.

One day I received a voicemail on my cell phone. "Hello, this is [name] from the Denver Tower. Please call me at [number]." I wondered what I had done to infringe on the nearby Class B. Care to guess what it was?

PS if it is bad news, don't talk about it here or any other public forum.

I don't know, what was it?

In any event, get the letter, read it, and if you don't understand what it means, ask here. Do not respond in writing or otherwise without proper counsel (maybe legal advice from an aviation attorney or from a super AME like Bruce Chien, depending on what it says), but keep in mind that there's a clock running for you to get a response to them, so don't delay getting it.
Do not ask here. Do the other things, but do not ask here.

If it's from Oklahoma City, it's not an enforcement action -- that would come the Regional Counsel in your area. Most likely issues are either medical or aircraft registration. Have you recently updated your medical or re-registered your aircraft? Note that an aircraft registration issue might not be serious at all, just a matter of paperwork, and a medical letter might just be looking to clarify something on your medical application, so don't panic just yet.

That's what I wanted to hear!!! So enforcement action HAS to come from a FSDO? The aircraft was registered a year and a half ago.

Do not ask here. Do the other things, but do not ask here.
I guess I would say don't talk about anything you've done, but asking "what does this mean" regarding what the letter says shouldn't be that big a deal. For all we know, the letter just says "you forgot to sign your aircraft registration application", and that's not something one needs to worry about having known by the general public. As I said, enforcement action letters don't come from Oklahoma City -- even for Oklahoma, the Regional Counsel is in Ft Worth TX.

Last edited:
I understand you anxiety. My neighbor catches me last week when I get home from work to tell me that the County Sheriff deputies were knocking on my door. Of course I can't reach them to find out what they wanted until 9:00 A.M. the next day. All kinds of things will haunt you trying to figure it out. Even though I had nothing to worry about, it is somewhat unnerving when the authorities are contacting you.
Turns out they had to serve notice of a probate hearing to my wife as a relative of the deceased . Died four years ago.
Good luck keep us posted.

That's what I wanted to hear!!! So enforcement action HAS to come from a FSDO? The aircraft was registered a year and a half ago.
An enforcement action would be initiated by the FSDO, but the certified letter with the Notice of Proposed Action would come from the Regional Counsel. See here for where those offices are, and note that none of them are in Oklahoma. If the FSDO was investigating a possible violation, first thing that happens is the investigating Inspector calls you on the phone from the FSDO -- the letter from the Counsel comes much later in the process.

Capt. Ron,

Thanks, that's great. But does an LOI come from Oklahoma? Or is an LOI considered enforcement action?

Last edited:
Ok, great. But does an LOI come from Oklahoma? Or is an LOI considered enforcement action?
A Letter of Investigation comes from the investigating Inspector at the FSDO as part of the enforcement investigation process, and generally only after the Inspector has either talked with you or attempted to talk with you about what happened. Thus, it is unusual for your initial notification of an enforcement action to be an LoI as the Inspector will make every effort to contact you personally to discuss the matter first. In any event, unless you're did something bad in the Oklahoma City FSDO area, it can't be an LoI.

Last edited:
A Letter of Investigation comes from the investigating Inspector at the FSDO as part of the enforcement investigation process, and only after the Inspector has either talked with you or attempted to talk with you about what happened. Thus, it is unusual for your initial notification of an enforcement action to be an LoI as the Inspector will make every effort to contact you personally to discuss the matter first. In any event, unless you're did something bad in the Oklahoma City FSDO area, it can't be an LoI.

Wonderful. So I probably don't have too much to worry about then since it is coming from Ok city and I don't live anywhere near there.

Wonderful. So I probably don't have too much to worry about then since it is coming from Ok city and I don't live anywhere near there.
Then relax, have a beer, and enjoy the rest of the weekend's football.

Unless you're a Michigan fan, in which case you may need a triple Jack Daniel's to wash down a double Maalox. :(

Thank you, sir. You enjoy the weekend too! I didn't think anything should be wrong, but a letter from the FAA never makes you feel good :)

Then relax, have a beer, and enjoy the rest of the weekend's football.

Unless you're a Michigan fan, in which case you may need a triple Jack Daniel's to wash down a double Maalox. :(

Crikey, Iowa won? It's a red-letter day. :lol:

I've had my share of certified letters from Oklahoma, medical related (long story and I won't get in to it on the forum) but it really isn't a big deal, and like Cap'n Ron says, adhere to the schedule and they generally won't give you grief. Ask for an extension and they will be glad to give you a couple days.

Well that's a lie, it was a semi big deal, not a big deal like in a big big deal, just an aggravating, bureaucratic deal. Took time to find the "expert", garner a diagnosis and finally they agreed.

No, this was not alcohol or drug related.

My dad is an out of work pilot, so this could be for him. I can't imagine that it could be medical related for him since he has a restriction free first class medical that was renewed in July...

My dad is an out of work pilot, so this could be for him. I can't imagine that it could be medical related for him since he has a restriction free first class medical that was renewed in July...

Hmmm...

Did he get a DUI and forgot to tell you about it??:dunno:

I guess I would say don't talk about anything you've done, but asking "what does this mean" regarding what the letter says shouldn't be that big a deal. For all we know, the letter just says "you forgot to sign your aircraft registration application", and that's not something one needs to worry about having known by the general public. As I said, enforcement action letters don't come from Oklahoma City -- even for Oklahoma, the Regional Counsel is in Ft Worth TX.

Your most common comment is reminding pilots of safety things that others think should be obvious to them. My version of that is recognizing based on experience that people with a problem (notice I said if it's bad news) give way too much information when they ask about it and are better off speaking with a professional as opposed to SOGTI

If your call tag has the ZIP+4 on it, you can probably figure out which org in the FAA sent it of all the ones at Joklahoma City. But you might as well go pick it up.

This whole thread is sort of like the discussion I had with one of my houseguests (also a pilot) after I returned from an HOA meeting:

Chip: The FAA called.
Me: What did they want?
Chip: I don't know, I didn't answer it.
Me: How do you know it was the FAA?
Chip: It was on the caller ID.

Turns out one of my neighbors forgot to close his VFR plan and they were trying to hunt him down.

My takeaway here is to not leave Chip in charge...:D

If your call tag has the ZIP+4 on it, you can probably figure out which org in the FAA sent it of all the ones at Joklahoma City. But you might as well go pick it up.

This whole thread is sort of like the discussion I had with one of my houseguests (also a pilot) after I returned from an HOA meeting:

Chip: The FAA called.
Me: What did they want?
Chip: I don't know, I didn't answer it.
Me: How do you know it was the FAA?
Chip: It was on the caller ID.

Turns out one of my neighbors forgot to close his VFR plan and they were trying to hunt him down.

Turns out the letter was medical related, not a big deal at all, just something that needed correction. Thanks guys!

Turns out the letter was medical related, not a big deal at all, just something that needed correction. Thanks guys!

"CAMI has discovered that as a result of receiving certified mail from CAMI, you may require treatment for extraordinarily high blood pressure. Please return your medical in the enclosed envelope and have a nice day"

:goofy:

"CAMI has discovered that as a result of receiving certified mail from CAMI, you may require treatment for extraordinarily high blood pressure. Please return your medical in the enclosed envelope and have a nice day"

:goofy:

You've got that right! :yikes:

Back