Ceramic coating

In a word, ABSOLUTELY. I wrote an article published in Aviation Consumer magazine in 2021 after having my Grumman Tiger painted in October 2020. Yesterday, we did a 3-year evaluation and the ceramic is holding up well after 3 years and 800 flight hours (article to come). Detailer Dan asked me when was the last time I washed the plane? I replied, "The last time I flew through rain." I haven;t washed the plane in three years and it looks brand new. The cost will vary depending on the condition of your paint. The more time spent rejuvenating the paint the higher the cost. Newly painted planes should definitely be ceramiced as soon as the paint has cured & before oxidation sets in. Have it done professionally!!! DIY ceramics are "dumbed down" and have much less SiO2 (glass) and don't last very long. Check out Dan Lightner at Nuaero Detailing if you are on the east coast. Dan is located in central PA but travels alot because the majority of his customers are corporate jets. He will schedule you when hee is in your area. His prices for GA start at $1300 and go up depending on condition. daniel.lightner@nuaerodetailing.com I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO REGULAR WAX OR SEALERS.

I have a ceramic coating on my C-150. It was put on by previous owner (AEROCOLOR) in 2019. People comment how good it looks.

When its needed again I will not hesitate to have it done.

My freshly painted plane looks just as good as the day it was painted after it sat out on the ramp for 7 years. It was hand washed maybe twice a year if that and waxed once every spring. Ceramic is just another over priced gimmick. The reality is that as long as you have some sort of UV protectant on the plane the paint will hold up just fine. Airplanes aren’t usually exposed to the road salt and sand being flung at them like cars are. There isn’t much to hurt paint other than the sun.

Back