Century NSD 360 HSI strange indications

aye29

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
aye29
I have an NSD 360 that's been acting up. On two different occasions in flight, it will suddenly stop giving course indications. I can tune and identify stations just fine but when I try to dial in any radial the CDI shows full deflection either left or right with a to/from indication. There is always a certain fixed radial that I can dial in that will display a centered CDI with warning flag no matter where the VOR I'm tuning to is located relative to me. However it works fine when I try to follow localizer signals and the glideslope works just fine.

The first time this happened was frustrating but it seemed to resolve itself the next day and then today it happened again in flight. Its a strange problem and difficult to describe but I'm hoping its something simple and wont require replacement of the unit.

What radio is the VOR source? My Garmin 430w drives an NSD 360 and the 430 has a test output for the CDI and flags in the HSI.

The source is a KX155. I know its not a test signal because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

To be honest it's simply not possible to determine the cause of the problem through an internet forum. It could be the HSI, it could be the interface wiring, it could be the NAV radio or antenna. Do you have an OBS you can use to verify the NAV is working?

I have an NSD 360 that's been acting up. On two different occasions in flight, it will suddenly stop giving course indications. I can tune and identify stations just fine but when I try to dial in any radial the CDI shows full deflection either left or right with a to/from indication. There is always a certain fixed radial that I can dial in that will display a centered CDI with warning flag no matter where the VOR I'm tuning to is located relative to me. However it works fine when I try to follow localizer signals and the glideslope works just fine.

The first time this happened was frustrating but it seemed to resolve itself the next day and then today it happened again in flight. Its a strange problem and difficult to describe but I'm hoping its something simple and wont require replacement of the unit.
Hello,

Did you get to the cause of the problem? I am experiencing similar intermittent problem with garmin 430 and NSD360

Regards

Bob

Hello,

Did you get to the cause of the problem? I am experiencing similar intermittent problem with garmin 430 and NSD360

Regards

Bob
If it is a Garmin 430, simple test is to swap out the Garmin with a spare and see if the problem goes away.

I've had similar issues with my HSI but with the GS vice the CDI. After eliminating the Garmin as the problem, we sent the unit off to be overhauled.

Back