Century Autopilots

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I'm having trouble with the old Century IIIB autopilot in my Archer. I have tried to contact the Century office in Mineral Wells several times with no luck. Messages can't be left because mailboxes are always full. They instruct you to send an email which I did but got back no response. I flew over to KMWL last week to shoot some touch and go's and the Century facility looked totaly dead. There were no cars parked at the building. Is Century still in business? Thanks.:dunno:

Contact Autopilots Central at Sparks Aviation in Tulsa, OK.
They are the place I take mine if it's something beyond the best local avionics shop at my home airport.

I have been able to get Century on the phone, but it was super tough and after many tries. So, it is possible, but you have to catch them at just the right moment. My impression is that it’s a one-man company now.

What problem are you having?

I am perplexed that they are still in business

I am perplexed that they are still in business

Exactly.

Century went down the toilet a few years ago when the owner died.

Horrible customer service when you do get a hold of them.

I’ve been inside their factory where they manufacture the new autopilots. Wouldn’t put a new Century AP in a plane if it was free.

Definitely describe your problem. You may find a simple answer here as some of us are no strangers to this particular autopilot. With more serious issues however, I have also read that Autopilots Central is a great source.

I reached Scott at Century autopilots the other day, he was helpful. My avionics shop that installed my Garmin GTX 345 screwed up my working autocontrol IIIB. It will no longer track the DG, shop said it was the radio coupler, Scott says the signal passes right through the radio coupler and that it must be something else, any ideas?

I reached Scott at Century autopilots the other day, he was helpful. My avionics shop that installed my Garmin GTX 345 screwed up my working autocontrol IIIB. It will no longer track the DG, shop said it was the radio coupler, Scott says the signal passes right through the radio coupler and that it must be something else, any ideas?

Look for loose connections at the gyros. Those round blue connectors have sockets in them that are split and open up over time and jostling. Try you can test on the ground by jiggling the connect on the back of the DG while doing a ground test. If that makes it chase the bug, you have identified your problem. I believe that Newark Electronics carries these connectors. Originally Amphenol, but later was Cooper Interconnect. Not sure if they are still Cooper or something else.

Look for loose connections at the gyros. Those round blue connectors have sockets in them that are split and open up over time and jostling. Try you can test on the ground by jiggling the connect on the back of the DG while doing a ground test. If that makes it chase the bug, you have identified your problem. I believe that Newark Electronics carries these connectors. Originally Amphenol, but later was Cooper Interconnect. Not sure if they are still Cooper or something else.
For Luigi, This!
If your autopilot was working well before the avionics work, I’ll also bet the connectors are at fault. I remember doing exactly as Kristin suggested, except, I put my hand into the mess of wires right behind the autopilot control on the panel while in flight while it was set to track the heading bug. When I did that, the autopilot engaged. Giving that history to my IA got me new connectors and a perfectly functioning autopilot again. It is also a simple and inexpensive fix by almost any shop.

Several years later, I had the same problem with the autopilot not following the bug. But this time putting my hand into the wires did nothing. I took a chance it was the DG’s autopilot pickup that was the culprit as the DG itself worked. At this point I switched that DG for an Aspen( which does connect to my legacy autopilot). As soon as that was installed, my autopilot worked beautifully again, but this time I even had GPSS via heading as part of the Aspen.

Last edited:
Yeah - that’s a good point. That old Century IIIB can be a pretty awesome little autopilot when it’s paired to a G5/GI275 or Aspen and an IFR navigator. GPSS is amazing. If you end up needing to replace your DG, seriously consider going to one of these electronic units and get GPSS out of the deal.

Back