Century 2000 Autopilot

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Does anyone in this group have a Century 2000 Autopilot?

I am thinking of upgrading my Altmatic IIIc to a new autopilot and would like to talk to someone about it.

I am thinking of upgrading my Altmatic IIIc to a new autopilot and would like to talk to someone about it.
My plane has it. What do ya want to know?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hello WannFly,
How do you like it?
Pros
Cons
For the sake of disclosure, I am a student and don't have a whole lot of experience. Previous to this, I have used GFC700 in a 172 SP. Being in training, I don't use AP much.
Having said all that, when I got the plane we flew her on AP from billings to Bismark and then to fargo at night on AP at night and flew just fine, better than me ...lol. mine has ALT hold, no GPSS roll. It follows the magenta line pretty good. The only thing is when u turn it on and want to use GPS , u have to ensure the heading bug is on the right BRG, else it won't follow the GPS courseline. The ALT hold works pretty good. There is a up and down button for altitude which works too. I haven't seen it indicating if it would ask for trim. There is a control wheel steering as well, but I have never used it.

That's all I know as of now, I try not to fly on AP, hand flying is lot more enjoyable, but again I don't go for XC s yet. In one short one, I had pax, and it was rough air most of the way coming back, worked pretty well in that as well, but I was getting bored so I hand flew after about 20 mins.
Hope this helps. If u want any tech specs etc I can dig thru the books

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your post. I was hoping to find someone with this unit and IFR rated. Trying to learn how it does on shooting approaches.

Thanks Again. Good luck with your training. Sounds like you have a good plane to work with.

Is Century your only option for upgrade?

I would not touch a new Century autopilot if it was free. The company has gone to absolute dog crap since the owner died a couple years ago.

I've personally been in their facility in Mineral Wells. Quality control is non-existent.

Is Century your only option for upgrade?

I would not touch a new Century autopilot if it was free. The company has gone to absolute dog crap since the owner died a couple years ago.

I've personally been in their facility in Mineral Wells. Quality control is non-existent.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear that. I have been there many times in the last 3 years and do not feel that way about the company. I have spent many days with their repair guys Matt and Frank and I have the upmost confidence in their work.

What kind of plane do you have?

There are much better autopilots coming on the market soon under the Part 23 rules. Trio already has a two axis STC'd and Garmin and Dynon are almost done with cerification. Cost about 1/3 of what that old dinosaur Century and they are all digital.

I'm doing some other upgrades first, but I have the same autopilot in my Aztec and have toyed with the idea of changing it.

But it's not a trivial task, nor a trivial price. I have considered instead adding GPSS roll steering capability as the IIIc still works well and is not difficult to continue to service.

I am wondering what you see as the primary benefits of going to the 2000? What type of airplane are you flying?

There are much better autopilots coming on the market soon under the Part 23 rules. Trio already has a two axis STC'd and Garmin and Dynon are almost done with cerification. Cost about 1/3 of what that old dinosaur Century and they are all digital.

Like a lot of things in aviation the purchase cost of the box(es) is just the start. I suspect the installation cost of ripping out the old autopilot system, replacing everything including the servos and flight testing until it is set up correctly will far outstrip the purchase.

And like anything digital these days if you keep waiting there's always something newer and better about to be introduced. That's the ongoing dilemma, isn't it. :mad:

Wow Good to know. Thanks

The Trio is set to be available next month. http://www.trioavionics.com/STC.htm At a less that $6000 price point it is 1/3 of any of the certified systems on the market today. As far as installation no matter what system it will still cost about the same in labor. If you need to replace your artificial horizon the Garmin G5 is the only way to go. For $2200 you not only get a digital horizon but it has airspeed, altimeter, vsi, GPS heading, battery back up and much more. I have installed and flown two of these and it is really a great instrument. You would be crazy to replace with another steam gauge.

Just looked and the Cetury 2000 is base price $15,775. I'm sure Trio would work with you on an STC for the Saratoga as they will want to get as many airplanes as posible on the STC. Tha Garmin G5 went from only the 172,182 and PA 28 to almost any airplane including King Air in a matter of months.

I'm doing some other upgrades first, but I have the same autopilot in my Aztec and have toyed with the idea of changing it.

But it's not a trivial task, nor a trivial price. I have considered instead adding GPSS roll steering capability as the IIIc still works well and is not difficult to continue to service.

I am wondering what you see as the primary benefits of going to the 2000? What type of airplane are you flying?
I have an a 1980 Piper Saratoga with an Altmatic IIIc in it now and for the last 3 years if has worked "OK". For the last 4 cross country flight this year it will work going to the destination and not coming back. The last time I had to hand fly it in IMC for 3 hours. I am sure I can get it fixed but I am looking for something New and reliable.

Last edited:
Again, all these autopilots aren't the same. You need to research connectivity as some of the new ones CANNOT legally be connected to certified panel mounted avionics last I knew. So for about half the money you may be getting half the functionallity.

I asked for preliminary installation data (especially the wiring drawings) from both Trio and Trutrak and got nothing. Not a warm and fuzy feeling when they are selling "pre-order" kits.

The Trio is set to be available next month. http://www.trioavionics.com/STC.htm At a less that $6000 price point it is 1/3 of any of the certified systems on the market today. As far as installation no matter what system it will still cost about the same in labor. If you need to replace your artificial horizon the Garmin G5 is the only way to go. For $2200 you not only get a digital horizon but it has airspeed, altimeter, vsi, GPS heading, battery back up and much more. I have installed and flown two of these and it is really a great instrument. You would be crazy to replace with another steam gauge.

What do you think the average cost/install time would be to get it in?

I was thinking of this option as I read Scott's primary post. With TruTrak and others working hard to bring their digital autopilot products to the certified world, I would wait for them to clear the approval hurdle for the PA28 line instead of putting in a refurb'd legacy system.

Scott, you told me last year what sort of flying you do and I think you would be happier with this newer tech than the older.

I was thinking of this option as I read Scott's primary post. With TruTrak and others working hard to bring their digital autopilot products to the certified world, I would wait for them to clear the approval hurdle for the PA28 line instead of putting in a refurb'd legacy system.

Scott, you told me last year what sort of flying you do and I think you would be happier with this newer tech than the older.
Thanks for you post Mike.
I flew yesterday with a friend that has an STEC 55X autopilot. It was "OK' but I was not impressed. My old autopilot feels easer to shot an approach. Less work load.

Thanks for you post Mike.
I flew yesterday with a friend that has an STEC 55X autopilot. It was "OK' but I was not impressed. My old autopilot feels easer to shot an approach. Less work load.
What did you find that increased your workload with the STEC 55?

I have a 55 in my Beech and it is pretty easy to use. Works much better than the Century I had in my Baron

I'm anxious for them to hurry up already. Trio claims they'll have it for the 182 by July. I want to hear some reports and whether there are limitations not evident. TruTrak has no date yet for the 182.

What did you find that increased your workload with the STEC 55?

I have a 55 in my Beech and it is pretty easy to use. Works much better than the Century I had in my Baron
To fly an approach with my current AP, the only thing I have to do is when I am established inbound is to turn off altitude hold and dial in pitch for the glide slope. Watching my friend shoot an ILS and a RNAV approach he had to make a few more changes to the AP compared to what my old one requires. This is just my impression of my first time to see the STEC 55 work. I am not in any position to debate about the 55 vs my old unit. By the way, it is not working at all today as I flew to Austin and back this afternoon.

To fly an approach with my current AP, the only thing I have to do is when I am established inbound is to turn off altitude hold and dial in pitch for the glide slope. Watching my friend shoot an ILS and a RNAV approach he had to make a few more changes to the AP compared to what my old one requires. This is just my impression of my first time to see the STEC 55 work. I am not in any position to debate about the 55 vs my old unit. By the way, it is not working at all today as I flew to Austin and back this afternoon.
A IIIc should capture and track the glideslope when available. It does have to be in the correct mode and tracking the localizer for sufficient time while in alt hold.

A IIIc should capture and track the glideslope when available. It does have to be in the correct mode and tracking the localizer for sufficient time while in alt hold.
Yes you are correct but my unit has never worked correctly. When it captures the glide slope it flies the slope correctly but it rocks left and right of the centerline. I have not taken the time to get that fixed. Maybe now I will do that if I opt to keep it.

Yes you are correct but my unit has never worked correctly. When it captures the glide slope it flies the slope correctly but it rocks left and right of the centerline. I have not taken the time to get that fixed. Maybe now I will do that if I opt to keep it.
Ahh, I see. I think the 55x has one more step than the IIIc when both are coupled. I believe the 55x has to be set up for the approach and then armed while the IIIc is just set to localizer while in alt hold with heading bug set. I've flown a lot with a IIIc but only read the manual for the 55x so could easily be misinterpreting.

One thing to keep in mind with the IIIc is that the servos are no longer manufactured and there are no approved replacements. I usually like how it flys the 'Kota but it is end of life for some components.

Ahh, I see. I think the 55x has one more step than the IIIc when both are coupled. I believe the 55x has to be set up for the approach and then armed while the IIIc is just set to localizer while in alt hold with heading bug set. I've flown a lot with a IIIc but only read the manual for the 55x so could easily be misinterpreting.

One thing to keep in mind with the IIIc is that the servos are no longer manufactured and there are no approved replacements. I usually like how it flys the 'Kota but it is end of life for some components.
Century and others have told me about the servos are no longer made. Two years ago Century rebuilt a servo for me. It has worked great since that time.

I started this thread to find someone who had a Century 2000 and was IFR rate so I could talk with them about flying approaches with it. I guess POA does not have such a person. Oh well, thanks for your post.

i have a century 2000 but don't shoot approached with it. it's tied to my hsi which is partly fed by the garmin 650. so i set the climb rate and gps indicates the direction (kinda) and activate. one altitude is reached i hit altitude and it will hold. when gps want to turn it tells me to turn the hsi to whatever heading. when i need to start decent i shut down altitude and take that over while leave the pilot handling direction (with instruction from gps) and the 3 miles out take it all over. it works pretty good but still human adjustments along the way. i have on my wish list altitude preselect and gps roll steer add ons. then the gps can feed the entire route to the autopilot and the hsi would be for the atc vector routes. turn a dial for altitudes and rest of time let gps control direction.

I have flown a couple of different aircraft with the C2000, and it was the best-flying autopilot I've used, by far. Smooth as silk.

On approaches, if I recall correctly, when you're on an appropriate intercept course, with heading and altitude set, you press the "Arm" button and, when the localizer comes in, it turns to intercept perfectly; and then when the glideslope came in, it just tracked it.

Flew like on rails.

I have a Piper Dakota w/ a Century 2000 and I'm IFR cert so use it for approaches all the time. I also have Aspen PFD/MFD and dual 430Ws so the Century 2000 has GPSS via the Aspen. All works great and flies very smooth. Will fly the approach and glideslope on it's own so no complaints from me.

Thanks SCCutler and netsurfr for your info.
I have decided to try to have my current autopilot repaired.
If this works, it will be quicker to get it up and running and much cheaper !!!

I am flying the family to Yellowstone in July and would like to have an autopilot for the 8 hour flight;-) A new autopilot will take 6 to 8 weeks to get installed.

Follow up--
I in Mineral Wells today.
My Attitude Indicator needs to be rebuilt.

Follow up--
I in Mineral Wells today.
My Attitude Indicator needs to be rebuilt.

Replace it with a Garmin G5. For $2200 you get STC'd primary digital artificial horizon, airspeed, altimeter, vertical speed, GPS heading indicator, slip ball and true airspeed all in one instrument. Also has a 4hr + back up battery. Mounts directly in the 31/8 hole your old AI comes out of. Don

Replace it with a Garmin G5. For $2200 you get STC'd primary digital artificial horizon, airspeed, altimeter, vertical speed, GPS heading indicator, slip ball and true airspeed all in one instrument. Also has a 4hr + back up battery. Mounts directly in the 31/8 hole your old AI comes out of. Don
A really good idea but it won't drive the autopilot.

Works great!! Now we get to fly the plane to Bozeman Montana in a couple of weeks using the autopilot.
Otto-Pilot.jpg

Back