Cedar Key is Cool

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Sue and I are in a condo now on Cedar Key, Fl. We flew down here this afternoon, and this place is great. We with another couple left 300' overcast, rain and mist in the Atlanta area, broke out at 5000', climbed to 9 and arrived at KCDK to 77dF temps and clear skys. The 2300' runway was no problem, the taxi to town came right away, and our condo has a gorgeous view. The little town is neat. Laid back, quaint, plenty of good restaurants, bars and stuff. I highly recommend it having been here all of 6 hours!

As if I wasn't miserable enough already expecting my mock commerical ride to be cancelled tomorrow... thanks Lance! :(

Enjoy that big yellow ball in the sky! :D

Highly recommended. A unique and fun experience.

Went there as a side trip before Sun 'N Fun 2006. The only reason I thought about it was that it was on a Sporty's DVD.

As you are flying in, you can call for a taxi on UNICOM. It's one of the best ways to prove that old adage that flying is safer than driving. The "legendary" vehicle, if it's still there, is almost falling apart. Very expensive too. But worth the experience, just to tell stories about it. You have to experience it to understand.

We ate at "Annie's Other Place" - I recommend it for good seafood. The taxi driver lady worked there... so it's no wonder she recommended it, but that was fine with us! We ate on the deck outside and saw dolphins below us.

Here are some pictures. One is on crosswind for the runway, one is on final, and one shows the taxi.

Attachments

• cdk.jpg
    cdk.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 66
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 69
  • taxi.jpg
    taxi.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 67
Well Judy's still driving the taxi but it's a minivan now. No answer on unicom, but it was easy to get her cell # (352-949-2127) (what other webboard could you get this info on :D)by calling a local hotel. She still works at Anne's, and we had dinner there tonight outside. It was excellent. I had a combination of grilled oysters and shrimp. It's warm, sunny and the view is out of sight.

Cedar Keys was one of our favorite places to spend a day when we lived in Sarasota. The runway used to have all those black skid marks just before it ended at the waters edge!

Holy wow! Me thinks I need to take the wifey there, however that short runway is something I need to get used too! Man-o-man I cannot believe I am used to 4000' runways!

Wow,

That's really close to our place in Melrose Landing (FD22) near Keystone (42J usually a great fuel stop)

We'll be there in Feb and back in April for SnF

ps Is that the place with all the sand fleas??????

Holy wow! Me thinks I need to take the wifey there, however that short runway is something I need to get used too! Man-o-man I cannot believe I am used to 4000' runways!

Hey, Tom, let's schedule a day trip to Cedar Key in the near future. We can make a tandem flight down. I would also like to get a picture of my plane in the air. The Gulf of Mexico would make an excellent background.

You can practice up for it at Falcon Field. As I mentioned yesterday, if you land on RWY 13 and make the first exit, you can land at Cedar Key.

Also, don't hesitate to go around if things don't look right.

Lance, are you and Sue up for a day trip to CDK?

Anyone else? The more the merrier!

John....as soon as I get my plane I am there!

Lance, are you and Sue up for a day trip to CDK?
I'm sure we would be. It's a great destination. Here's our crew last week about to leave (my rebuttal to those who say Mooney's are cramped) and the incredible view from our condo's balcony.

Attachments

• Flynn's and Cox's at KCDK.JPG
    Flynn's and Cox's at KCDK.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 47
  • Condo balcony view.JPG
    Condo balcony view.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 37
and the incredible view from our condo's balcony.

Wow, that is beautiful! Looks like I have another destination for the 201. I might drop you a PM to get the contact into for that condo.

Charming little community. I especially liked the "guided tour" provided by the very nice lady that drives the cab. Incidentally, CDK was my last flight in a GA aircraft.

Back