Caution Wake Turbulence

boydbischke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boyd
A few weeks back I was doing a VFR transition at KSLC in my PA32. ATC assigned me an altitude and a "suggested heading", and then told me "caution wake turbulence". Normally you transition over either end of the runways depending on wind direction, but there was other traffic, so ATC sent me elsewhere.

I acknowledged the transmission, but a question for those in the know:

Other than knowing why I am going for a wild ride if I hit this wake turbulence, what good is this message to me? Is there something I should be doing in response to this warning?

Merely a precautionary message.

As they say, better to be forewarned.......

if you believe the potential to encounter wake turbulence is serious then you could slow to Va. I haven't done that ever but so far have been at least 1,000' below the big guys when given the warning.

In my little experience flying in and out of a Class C with very large refueling tankers, I get that almost every flight. What it does is remind me to look for traffic and pay attention to their glide path and touchdown or takeoff points. I can then easily avoid Wake Turbulence by touching down after or taking off before the big heavies do. Never been a problem and glad they look out for my little bug smasher. :yes:

Gives you a chance to look around for traffic ,and maybe slow down to maneuvering speed. I always appreciate the heads up from ATC.

A few weeks back I was doing a VFR transition at KSLC in my PA32. ATC assigned me an altitude and a "suggested heading", and then told me "caution wake turbulence". Normally you transition over either end of the runways depending on wind direction, but there was other traffic, so ATC sent me elsewhere.

I acknowledged the transmission, but a question for those in the know:

Other than knowing why I am going for a wild ride if I hit this wake turbulence, what good is this message to me? Is there something I should be doing in response to this warning?

SLC center are the best guy/gals IMHO...

You're the PIC, it's your decision on how you respond to the caution.

In a B they have specific seperation responsibility from other aircraft even if you're VFR. This includes specific wake turbulence application. Even if that separation exists, the controller can issue a caution for wake turbulence if they believe it might affect your aircraft. Kinda like a traffic call where you're unsure if the other aircraft will be a factor. Issue it and let the pilot decide what to do.

They should issue a reason for wake turbulence also, like " caution wake turbulence, departing Airbus". IOW inform you of the plane causing possible turbulence.

Merely a precautionary message.

MUCH more than a precautionary message. I learned this the hard way. Crossed paths with a 747 heavy climbing out...he was a good 8-10 miles out and i flew right into his wake which I thought I was above. It was like hitting a brick wall in the plane, anything that was not bolted down went flying upside down and we all hit the roof of the plane leaving me with a two day headache.

That was in the air...hit that on final approach and you can get flipped and slammed into the ground so fast you want know what hit ya.

Wake turbulence is one of those things until you truly experience it effects it can easily be dismissed as an overreaction.

MUCH more than a precautionary message. I learned this the hard way. Crossed paths with a 747 heavy climbing out...he was a good 8-10 miles out and i flew right into his wake which I thought I was above. It was like hitting a brick wall in the plane, anything that was not bolted down went flying upside down and we all hit the roof of the plane leaving me with a two day headache.

That was in the air...hit that on final approach and you can get flipped and slammed into the ground so fast you want know what hit ya.

Wake turbulence is one of those things until you truly experience it effects it can easily be dismissed as an overreaction.

I agree. Even a pilot with over 30,000 hours can get killed by wake turbulance.
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...-b7b6-4455-8f51-cae01e91d28c&pgno=1&pgsize=50

I agree with Shawn. There is a video I seen recently where ground smoke is created along a runway and then a plane flown through it. Then you can actually see the wake and what it does to the smoke. This is a perfect visual.
You're much better off crossing it. Get caught flying along the path of the wake and it can easily roll you over.
Flying across it is like driving a car 80 miles an hour through a water fall.

This is helpful. Thank you for the response.
if you believe the potential to encounter wake turbulence is serious then you could slow to Va. I haven't done that ever but so far have been at least 1,000' below the big guys when given the warning.

Back